A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Koi shoes :D  (Read 3231 times)
Tags for this thread: koi , painted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 06, 2009 04:23:52 PM »

Hello!! Long time lurker first time poster Smiley
So my boyfriend is studying abroad in Japan. He's there for a year and so far its only been three months and we're both really missing each other. Luckily, I'll be going to visit him for Christmas (I'm leaving in 11 days!!! Woohoo!!!!) and I'm super excited but also really stressed out because I have to finish his Christmas presents and deal with a whole bunch of finals at the same time. Anyway I had this great idea to paint him some koi fish shoes because he loves koi fish. I don't really paint (I sew Cheesy), which is probably apparent, so the fish looks kinda wonky....but I think overall they turned out pretty good Smiley I drew the fish by hand and the kanji was traced (my kanji looks terrible). It says "koi." I used fabric paint because my Joann's sucks really hard when it comes to customer service and I was unable to find fabric medium Sad

~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009 05:32:21 PM »

I don't think the koi looks wonky at all! It looks great, and I would have guessed you were a painter! I love them, and I am sure your boyfriend will, too. What a nice gift, and lucky you getting to go to freakin' Japan!! I am way jealous. And I had to laugh about your Joann's comment...I worked at our Joann's for 3 days before quitting because it was an AWFUL place to work. They are super rude, so it is not just your store. Wink

Anyways, awesome sneakers! Have a fabulous time in Japan, and with your boyfriend!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009 07:02:06 PM by SpookyPooky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009 06:56:00 PM »

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009 08:12:43 PM »

Thank you guys so much Cheesy
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009 08:38:00 PM »

I think your koi is lovely! And I'm sure he'll love them. I admire people who can draw well on shoes haha

Maybe try Scotchguarding them, to protect against water?

And SpookyPooky, it was the same at Michaels. Except I only lasted one full shift. And it's weird, because a lot of the people don't even craft.

Ickle Me Pickle Me Tickle Me Too

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009 08:40:11 PM »

This is incredible!  I have painted lots of shoes for my clown costume.. I like painter markers (made by elmers).. and acrylics work great too.  You might be an established seamstress.. but i believe you have a future in painting.. and combing the two is just genius!

"...sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Alice
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009 09:11:38 PM »

Your boyfriend is so lucky; I would love shoes like that! Thanks for the inspiration.

Also I haven't had the best experience with the customer service at my Joann's, either. :C
I have rarely bought anything from them since.

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009 09:22:50 PM »

oooh, so pretty!

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009 10:32:28 AM »

Looks great! Cheesy

Btw, if you're painting on shoes, don't bother with fabric medium--you can pretty much go at them straight with acrylics as long as you don't make TOO thick of a layer.  At least, I've had no issues doing so!

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009 10:43:30 AM »

You don't give yourself enough credit. These shoes look great. And lucky you. You get a trip to Japan in the mix. (I'm slowly saving up. Maybe by the time I'm thirty. Tongue) I'm sure your boyfriend will love them. Have fun in Japan!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Face Baking with Kandee Johnson
CoverGirl X Star Wars Collection Unboxing
Inside the Allure Beauty Closet: Favorite Purple Makeup
Rihanna Proves Magenta Lips Are the New Red
CoverGirl Debuts Epic STAR WARS Makeup Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...