A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another knitted beaded cuff, blue for a friend  (Read 2254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: December 06, 2009 02:30:24 PM »

the photo above is proof that I am able to sneak in some purple even when I want to make something that is not purple... I love the purple shine on those beads which normally looks much more blue than that!

I made it half width than mine, which I previously posted http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=325563.0, so it's just 5 stitches instead of ten... it took a lot less to make!!
I hope you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009 03:36:27 PM »

How interesting! How much wire and beads did this take? Please give some details. I've never seen knitted wire before. I guess you have to string it all up in advance, then wrap it around a tube before you knit?
And what size needles? Funny, I just bought some of that fine wire, and wasn't sure what to do with it yet.   I may just give this a try!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009 03:37:20 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Missing_Muse

Craft like you care!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009 07:56:37 PM »

THat looks awesome. Is it complicated? I just got a book from the library about wire crochet, and it confused me no end- I presume because I don't how to do regular crochet... maybe you do a little tutorial, please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organizing my first swap:  Go Green Quick and Easy Weekend Swap!
AmysSculpturalBeading

www.sculpturalbeading.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009 01:06:17 AM »

How did you finish this one? With chains again? Looking good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sculpturalbeading.com

I like personal swaps!
alhrayth
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009 08:06:06 AM »

Hi! I'm glad you're liking this, and I hope my friend will too!
To answer the other questions...

How much wire and beads did this take?
I guess you have to string it all up in advance, then wrap it around a tube before you knit?
And what size needles?

I have to say that I totally eyeballed it, so it's difficult to give quantities... I first strung the beads on the wire, they might have occupied between 40cm to half a meter.... but I really have no clue about the wire quantity, because I have a BIG spool of wire I rescued from my dad's tools & stuff, so I strung the beads on without cutting any wire from the spool, so that the beads were on the piece of wire going from my needles to the spool, and unrolled it as I went, sliding the beads on my work and along the wire... The needles (I just checked) are marked with a 5, which I hope is an international standard...

s it complicated? I just got a book from the library about wire crochet, and it confused me no end- I presume because I don't how to do regular crochet... maybe you do a little tutorial, please?

I am definitely not a knitter - I can do just the two basic stitches and I have never done anything more complicated  than a scarf - but it was easy, I treated the wire exactly as wool (only it's harder to work but I really did the very same movements). Frankly I'm clueless about crochet, so I can't make a comparison!
I have never made a tut but I might try... but in a few days' time because I am a little tied up right now!

How did you finish this one? With chains again?
Oops, I see now that there not a very clear full picture... yes, I did it with a single central chain (since it's thinner) and a clasp, and this time the bracelet goes further around the wrist - I'd say covering from 3/4 of it to the full circle depending on your wrist size (unlike my first one where the back was mostly open).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecraftyminx

To fail is to try in the first place.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010 05:38:36 AM »

Love these colours Smiley  Great job. The chunky beads really do it for me  Grin

I get totally carried away at the beading stage I'm also a beady knitter - a few years now.  I'm loving copper wire with pearls at the moment especially.  (Must get more photo's uploaded....never enough time, hehe)

I have a pic I uploaded a few years back in my gallery of my first attempt at a cuff. Now I just have to remember how do put the link in.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecraftyminx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010 05:40:15 AM »

Ok, remembered how to link the piccys Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
UnicornDiamond
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010 04:11:51 PM »

Awesomeness!!! I love the combination of knitting and beads.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april again
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010 06:45:58 AM »

I have wanted to try one for some time....are these comfortable to wear? For some reason, I keep thinking that they will be scratchy..It looks great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecraftyminx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010 04:04:32 AM »

I have wanted to try one for some time....are these comfortable to wear? For some reason, I keep thinking that they will be scratchy..It looks great Smiley

Using enough of the larger beads helps to keep the wire off the skin, however you could perhaps "cuff" it by using a felt backing base for more comfort?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Silhouettes in Photoshop
How to Understand Resolution and Resizing in Photoshop
How to Use Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Get Started with Adobe Bridge
How to Use Metadata in Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...