A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly Chairs and Afghan to Awesome Chairs, Cushions and Scarf!  (Read 7576 times)
Tags for this thread: chair , recon , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwyrmhole

Crafts can't keep me busy all the time!

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009 07:08:41 PM »

This is a rather wordy and pic-heavy explanation, so feel free to skip to the end.

I went to the local thrift store on Saturday with my mom in search of a b-day present for my brother hoping to stumble across something ugly. My brother hated what we got him, but I did get lucky!

Browsing the furniture section I ran into (literally, I almost tripped!) a stack of very ugly wire chairs. Dirty, rusty, white metal-covered plastic. Gross. I sat in one on a whim, and was surprised to discover that it was very comfortable. So, I found the two most structurally sound chairs (I couldn't buy all six, we have too much furniture as it is) and claimed them. Two chairs, half price: $3.99

I meandered on over to the linens section, because I get all my fabric there. And came across ugly item number 2. A beige afghan with the giant words "Morrison Homes" plastered over it. I don't know where it came from, but the purple on the back was cool, and I sort of liked the flourishy-things on the corners. One brand new, ugly afghan, half price: $3.50.

I had to leave at that point, because I had too much already. (Also picked up some blue plaid wool and a silk tie, but they're really not relevant.)

I had to abandon the project until Friday because of my Calculus final, which sucked. I came home on Friday and stole some ugly green pillows that we used to have in our living room until they got stained by the dogs. Stuffing for cushions: $0.

I made them a little smaller so they'd fit better, and then started to cover them. I cut rectangles out of each of the corners the right size to cover my pillows, making sure to include the design.

I wanted to have fringe on all four sides of the cushions, because fringe makes everything awesome. Sewed up a cushion quick, and then remembered that I had chairs to paint.

I wanted the chairs to be black, so I broke out some black rust-proof paint I had from something and went at the chairs with a brush. Well, that didn't work, the paint just ran off. So I ran to the store and picked up some spray paint. That worked better, but then I ran out of paint and had to run to the store again to get more. But, I got them painted and am quite pleased. Two cans of spray paint: $5.20.

In the midst of painting the chairs I whipped out the other seat cushion while I listened to the state championship football game since my school was playing. They won, so I had to move on.

Decided I wanted cushions for the backs of the chairs, so I made some up with more afghan and some batting.

At this point I didn't have much afghan left, but I decided I had to use the ugly words for something. Sewed the center section into a scarf, which is very warm and cozy.

Now I really don't have much afghan left at all. Any suggestions for those last two pieces?

On to the real attraction, the after pictures. My awesome chairs with cushions. Don't really know what I'll use them for, but I will take them to college with me next year. I used velcro for the top cushions but didn't put any ties on the bottom ones so I can also use them as pillows. Total project cost: $12.70. Finding the useful silver lining in something ugly: Priceless.

I really enjoyed this challenge, this is the first project I've finished in a while and also my first challenge. If anyone wants more pics, including in progress, let me know because I have lots. Comments, constructive criticism welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
SkyyAngel
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009 11:39:45 PM »

These are so pretty. And now you have me wanting a Morrison Homes afghan too... lol. I love all the thinking outside the box too. Good job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009 05:48:53 AM »

Pretty clever, I just have one suggestion.  You may want to rethink using these as pillows in the future...people fart on chair cushions...

HAHAHAAAAA!! Sorry I couldn't help myself
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009 07:36:39 AM »

1) the OCD in me hopes you washed the pillows between dog use and chair cushions.

2) i like the purpleness of this project, and the corner things that you liked.

3) and the scarf.
i think you should use the leftover bits to make pockets on the scarf, because i just saw an article (was it at craft magazine blog? or here?  or instructables? or another tutorials site?) about making a CARGO SCARF and i thought that was cool.

ETA: (4) wrist warmers would be nice, too.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009 07:37:13 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
manycrafter
watercolorscuptartist

I love to paint!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009 09:09:05 AM »

About the calculus final--I learned calculus, and lots of even more advanced math, too, but I started sewing when I was 6 and by the time I was 12 was making all my own clothing. Now, guess which has come in more useful in my lifetime (I'm 54 now)? Granted, the math skills are what let me get high paying jobs so I could afford a serger, sewing machines, fabrics and all the other fun stuff. But even in scientific jobs, I have probably used calculus, um, maybe 5 times total in 30 plus years? Keep on learning math but if you don't quite do as well as you hope on any one calculus test, don't sweat it--if your life turns out anything like mine, your sewing skills will help you do things you love to do, and your math skills will give you entry into places that you wouldn't get into otherwise, like fun science research jobs.

Anyway, great job on this project! I love the way you thought it through, made it happen and came out with such a great final product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't decide what to be if I grow up so I have to keep trying new things!
bookwyrmhole

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009 12:41:31 PM »

Thanks for all the positive comments! The pillows have been washed, but the stains wouldn't come out. The purple is originally what caught my eye, I have a LOT of purple stuff.

The calculus final actually wasn't all that bad, because it was take-home, but it took 8 hours or so. And my teacher wasn't that great, being a community college. But I love that I'm a senior in high school and only need one more semester of math to get an engineering degree at my college of choice. You can be sure that I will be taking my sewing machine with me! Concrete canoes will be followed by recons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find that crafts are very good time wasters. If they aren't for you, then you are one of those rare individuals who know what you're doing!
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009 02:04:13 PM »

And my teacher wasn't that great, being a community college.

ouch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
bookwyrmhole

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009 07:15:01 PM »

I have nothing against community colleges. In fact, I love them because I have gotten almost two years of school out of the way because of them. But the school had to hire a part-time teacher for this specific class. His original degree was engineering, so he really doesn't know how to teach. He's also been out of the workforce for more than ten years. I passed the class though, so all is well.

Math is so useful in sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009 09:12:41 AM »

This makes me so happy! I LOVE afghans and have to keep myself from buying them every time I'm at a thrift store. I'm a texture girl and afghans are the best! You have inspired me to make my own afghan scarf  Cheesy and maybe some throw pillows too!

For the scraps: Maybe you could make arm cushions for the chairs? Not sure how that'd work, but its an idea anyway. Or maybe a rectangular throw pillow?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
rbeforee
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009 11:53:46 PM »

Very cool with the asymmetry.

I look at those scraps and think wine/water bottle (gift) bag. I dunno if the pieces are big enough, but the fringe would look cute folded down perhaps? I just realized you are very likely under 21, so let's go with water bottle tote Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Optimization hinders evolution.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a Knit Hat
How to Wear Hats in New York
How to Pick the Right Bag for Your Outfit
How to Pick Sunglasses for Your Face Shape
How to Mix Cheap With Expensive Pieces
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...