A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hula Hoops for a stoned day in the park!  (Read 12597 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beakonthenite
i like being uncomfortable so i can't stop changing all the time

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2005 07:43:02 PM »

I could never hula hoop when I was a little girl, but now that I'm more mature, a little wiser, and a tad more experienced with my hips  Wink.  I have decided to reclaim my youth.  Hooping is entrancing and sensual, as it brings you in touch with your body and how your body interacts with the space around you.

I suggest swinging your hips on over to San Francisco, head on down to Golden Gate Park, follow the sounds of the drum circle and you'll find yourself on a sunny Sunday on Hippie Hill, trust me nothing is better.  People watching, barefoot in the grass, and hooping.  Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose.

With all that said and done - I made these! 
*Irrigation poly-tubing - 1 in. 160 psi.
(I've found any other specs just don't hold form and are not sturdy. )
*1 in. connectors (should be in same area as tube @ store)(usually grey)
*Gaffer and Vinyl tape  (Identi-tape.com AWESOME)
*PVC pipe cutters
*some type of heating device (I used my gas stove)

Formed hoop should stand between your bellybutton and chest.  When you've cut the right size, connect the two ends with none other that the connector.  What I do is try to fit it in as much as I can without heat so I have a somewhat stable hold.  I turn my stove to Medium High and hold the ends about 10 inches from the flame for 10 second intervals squeezing ends closer each time.  BE CAREFUL TUBE WILL MELT AND IT STINKS.  (plus it can't give off healthy fumes). Once the two ends are connected and the connector is no longer visible, heat the seam for a bit to meld the two ends together.

Now all you've got to do is decorate.  That's up to you crafty dazzlers.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens summer...makes me think all the worlds a sunny day.
pickledkitty
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005 10:08:12 PM »

I stumbled upon 'hooping' awhile ago, but then lost all of my bookmarks! Thankyou for reminding me about and the great tutorial! I am so saving this for July, when my family moves into our house, instead of working on it all the time;p

Plus I love the way that you decorated them, like a maypole;p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aeillill

blood hungry cannibalistic unfit family ties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005 10:48:18 AM »

I've always wanted to hula hoop, but I don't know if there's somethign wrong with the shape of my hips or something, but I can not do it at all!  I'm 19 and i've been trying since I was just a wee child to do it, but I'm just awful. 

Looking at all your pretty hula hoops makes me 7 and jealous of all the other kids all over again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laden autumn, here I stand
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005 11:24:44 AM »

I've always wanted to hula hoop, but I don't know if there's somethign wrong with the shape of my hips or something, but I can not do it at all!  I'm 19 and i've been trying since I was just a wee child to do it, but I'm just awful. 

Looking at all your pretty hula hoops makes me 7 and jealous of all the other kids all over again

I share your pain too.  I just cant do it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005 11:53:12 AM »

very nice.  I wish I wasn't too self conscience to hola hoop.

I must say, the times I've recently tried to hola hoop (with kids), it was a ton easier than I remembered!  the hips really help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beakonthenite
i like being uncomfortable so i can't stop changing all the time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005 05:20:14 PM »

I used Gaffer's tape and a Vinyl tape, I got the tape at Identi-tape.com, they are a supporter of hoop makers, based in Oregon.

The bigger the hoop the easier it is, an adult hooping with a kids hoop is tricky for a freshy, they are also slighty weighted which makes for a good core excercise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens summer...makes me think all the worlds a sunny day.
rainbow_art

taste the rainbow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005 09:42:14 AM »

I hear you!  Ive always wanted to hula hoop but never been able to!  Your hula hoops look really fun colours and great  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bracelet_girl
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005 11:45:46 AM »

I used to love hula hoops when I was younger. These look great and very funky  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My DeviantArt page
My Livejournal

I do personal swaps, themed or random. Smiley pm me if you are interested!
ikissedmadonna
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005 04:23:33 PM »

Wow. That is really fantastic, and I love the designs on yours. Is that duct tape?very original. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty, baby! <3
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005 04:16:12 PM »

adorable. I love the designs! I have to try that NOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
keston
knit, spin, or die!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005 09:10:22 PM »

nifty hula tip: por a cup or two of sand into the hoop before you close it up to add some extra weight......makes for a GREAT workout. and its mad fun to boot Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005 10:07:07 PM »

i'm horrible at hula hooping, i don't know why. But yours are super colorful, they are probably mezmerizing while in use!!
^_^ have fun in the park!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
monkeyslut666
ModgEpOdGeWhOrEEEEE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005 12:00:07 AM »

every one on here wanting to hula hoop
NEEDS to get up and do it.
the larger they are, the easier they are for someone that might be hula-impaired, and its just great fun!
it makes you feel young again. i am over 200lbs, and have NO problem keeping it going and loving it!!

thanks for posting intructions on how to make one, i sent it on to a friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ape~
oohhowpretty

You gotta love Regina

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005 09:51:51 AM »

i saw hula hoops and thought crisps maybe im hungry
anyway they are nicelet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'maybe you should cut your own hair coz that would be so funny'
a besoin de parler
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005 06:16:07 PM »

I have a feeling that I can't do it because I'm a big girl... I blame it on the "contacted skin area to hoop circumference" ratio.

Either that, or I suck.

My favorite is the white, pink, and turquoise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkeyslut666
ModgEpOdGeWhOrEEEEE

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005 12:23:23 AM »

i too am a large chica, and i have NO ass and no hips..even HARDER to keep it up..so you need a larger one that is heavy!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ape~
Alynxia
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005 08:36:14 AM »

Hmmmm....I wonder if I can make one out of that old water hose in the garage...  Ooooh snakeskin!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005 02:32:41 PM »

I remember not being able to hula hoop, now I can do it for half an hour or more without having it fall.  For those of you who are having trouble, I remember my first hula hoop was the weird weighted kind with water or something inside.  It helped with balance.  Once you get the hang of it you'll never forget how.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
ceana
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2005 11:40:28 PM »

You know what? I just put hula hoop on my birthday wishlist! Now I can make one (or two or three) myself. Yours are so pretty, very bright. Do you think using a barbecue would work for a heat source? We don't have a gas stove and I doubt my parents would like the fumes (they were too happy when I dyed my wool in the kitchen, fruity vinegar Tongue).

Cheerio
Alex
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*poke*
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005 07:45:11 AM »

i have a store-bought hoop and those little balls inside do nothing for weight. can i force the thing open and add something? if so, what?
and i want to decorate mine, but not really with tape i don't think. any other ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mel-my-issa

f*** it dude, let's go bowling.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005 08:54:19 AM »

Oh man, I remember hooping with the hippies & climbers at Camp 4 in Yosemite. Good times, good times.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Floatinhighabove

Yay! a butterfly!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007 06:50:33 PM »

your hoops are really beautiful...i love the colors!!  i've been making hoops for a couple of years now..i find its easier to use a hair dryer on high heat rather than the stove...keep hoopin it up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007 08:30:21 PM »

*laughing at stoned hula hooping*  Get into the groove, baby! Creative to make your own, and your decorations are fantastic.  heh heh...maybe even Plastic Fantastic! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ilah
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007 08:37:35 AM »

I was looking around at hoop sites on the web and one site said you could hold a hair dryier real close for around 10 minutes (instead of heating on the stove) before you connect and then connect quickly before it cools down.

I am really tempted to give this a try - but I am not sure if I have room to hoop.  I live in a condo.  How can I tell if I have enough space?  How much space to you need?

Ilah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Floatinhighabove

Yay! a butterfly!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007 07:21:31 PM »

you will find room to hoop once you make one (or a bunch)..put the coffee table on the couch...move the plant to the bed..you get the idea..and once its nice enough out..put some music on and get your dance on within your hoop
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibeSky
corset freak extraordinare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007 03:22:56 PM »

I hoop on the sidewalk outside my house......the kids down the street think it's hilarious to watch a 20something hooping like a 5 year old.  Smiley  I weight mine with water...and have 3 of various sizes....good for tricks!!  That is, if I actually happen to be hooping in pants.  woo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Steel?
mermaide
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007 06:05:35 AM »

Very cool. I have a boring blue hula hoop from back in the day. Some tips for those who can't hula: Don't move your hips in huge circles. Focus on the center and let the centripetal force do the rest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftsters do it better.
Sprocket

Inspiration is everywhere!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007 08:30:14 AM »

Nice hoops!  The patterns and colors ROCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beaderjojo
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008 10:23:28 AM »

A little tip if you're planning on making your own hoop: If you use gaft tape on the outer edges (not just electrical tape) then the hoop will stick much better to your body, and it's also a lot better for beginners.
Just a little FYI. =)

Also, if you're looking for a place to buy pretty tapes to decorate your hoop, www.identi-tape.com is great.

Happy hooping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008 12:21:04 PM »

At LAST! Instructions! Thank you thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
flybabytina
I'm a long haired, barefoot, crocheting momma

Professional Pumpkin Sculpter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008 05:46:55 AM »

This website http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html seems to be the site that everyone refers to when making their own hoops. This is the site I am going to use too! I can't wait to get started!

Tina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an etsy store now! - http://flybabytina.etsy.com
crazyjaesi
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008 05:49:30 PM »

Try a hoop with water in it! seriously makes thing much easier hips or no hips. also bigger thicker hoops seem to help as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maasive
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008 09:00:15 AM »

That's great!!! I got into hooping about a year ago - then became preggo with baby number 3 and had to put it aside for awhile - I should definitely bring it out again!!! Here are pics of me with mine - I didn't have any fancy tape - so I used coloured hockey tape for the background - gives good grip and then coloured electrical tape for the foreground design. I really envy yours however - great job!!!!

Besides a hula hoop makes you look young - seriously these pictures make me look like I'm twelve - LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Marbleized Paper
How to Make Terry Cloth Bath Mitts for Kids
How to Make a True Family Tree Board
How to Make a Superhero Cape
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...