A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PAINTING-A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR BOYFRIEND. I AM DESPERATE FOR HELP, PLEASE?  (Read 4868 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MayKat
« on: December 05, 2009 01:34:20 PM »

Hello! I haven't been on Craftster in a long time, but I'm confident that this is the place to get some great advice. So, I'm currently working on a very meaningful gift for my boyfriend, and I just can't tell if it really looks any good. I don't paint as much as I'd like to, and my family isn't very helpful since they don't know a thing about art. So, here are some pictures below. If any of you could give me your HONEST opinions, and tell me what I could fix, what could be improved, etc etc etc, and also any ideas to spice it up some and make it look better, would be great!!

Here is the overall painting. The canvas itself is extremely big.

Here is a closeup of the brains.

A closeup of one of the ear pieces on the headphones.

Another closeup, the other ear piece, but they don't match! Oh no! Sad

Any ideas, opinions, suggestions, advice, concrit would be VERY appreciated! Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AbbyRose
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009 01:51:24 PM »

I like how the painting looks overall. But, I think the brains would look better if they looked more realistic. Especially in the squiggly lines you drew on them.
Like this:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
MayKat
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009 02:06:14 PM »

Thank you, and thank you for the reference. I looked up some photos of brains before starting the project, but I guess somewhere along the way I forgot about the realism of it all and focused more on the surrealism of the whole thing. I mean, two brains sharing a pair of headphones.. ehhh... Lol, but thank you! Is there anything I should focus on when it comes to painting them more realistically?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009 03:13:24 PM »

I think to make the squiggles a little more realistic they need to be more defined/ less broken up. You can see in that reference image for instance how the lines are pretty long and branch out instead of being short squiggles.
Also, looking at this quickly I thought they were mittens... maybe smooth out that front portion of each brain so it's more of a soft curve in instead of a sharp indentation. I like the surrealism of the piece. Good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MayKat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009 05:05:15 PM »

Okay, so, I guess the overall big, heart wrenching, nerve wracking question I have for all of you is... is it good enough to give to someone as a gift? Please be honest, I seriously won't be hurt, I just really need to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veggie_knits
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009 08:30:42 PM »

i myself am not as art-inclined as others around me, but i do like the different headphones.  i don't think they should be the same.  i think it adds something to the picture (again, i'm not artsy, so i can't tell you exactly what it adds...haha).  I like the concept Smiley  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pocketwatch
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009 08:39:51 PM »

the sweep of the headphones across the top frames it very well, as paired with the squiggle of the cord. I agree that the brains need more distinct lines. I could immediately tell they were brains, but a distinct brainstem might make them more recognizable, as well as being a fun detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009 10:29:17 PM »

Okay, so, I guess the overall big, heart wrenching, nerve wracking question I have for all of you is... is it good enough to give to someone as a gift? Please be honest, I seriously won't be hurt, I just really need to know.

I think it depends on the person you're giving it to. Personally I would like getting this from someone because I really appreciate the effort and personal nature of the gift. If you work on it some more and your boyfriend appreciates art/handmade gifts, then I would say yes, it's good enough. If you're not sure, you could always get another gift, something related (a CD, new headphones, etc.) and give the two together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AbbyRose
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009 02:38:57 PM »

I think to make the squiggles a little more realistic they need to be more defined/ less broken up. You can see in that reference image for instance how the lines are pretty long and branch out instead of being short squiggles.
Also, looking at this quickly I thought they were mittens... maybe smooth out that front portion of each brain so it's more of a soft curve in instead of a sharp indentation. I like the surrealism of the piece. Good luck with it!

I agree with this. The lines almost look like a maze, they wouldn't be all broken up and sporatic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
gina-marie
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009 08:59:38 PM »

You're on your way!

I dont have much time because i have to finish a painting myself,  but I can tell you some easy way to give more depth.

For the headphones instead of strait up black you'll get a lot more depth if you add a hint of another color to it and then use the plain black paint to define some of the things you are defining, and then for the lighter parts of the headphones you are painting, instead of using a grey, use white mixed with really any other color.. i can tell from painting that you're using black and white to make that color and basically just adding something to that weather it be yellow or blue will help.. like if you picture the difference between a black and white photo of headphones compared to colored there's actually more colors than white and black in there.  

I guess I would say the same thing for the brains.. you should use some yellow to some spots in the purple brain and some orange in the blue brain.. maybe mixing yellow and purple/blue and orange would be better.. anyways use those colors to show more darker darks in the brains and mix purple/blue with white for the lighter parts instead of using plain white

to explain more i guess think about mixing colors with its compliment red-green, blue-orange, yellow-purple, to make the color darker instead of using black to make a color darker.  It's pretty simple but it can really add to the realism!

But I think you could actually go with a more graphic look where you could maybe simplify the objects into shapes and lines.. like what if the brains were really groups of shapes of the same color that when grouped together formed the brain shape? like this image but in your own way of course
http://www.notesondesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/brain.jpg

also i think it would look good if you switched that yellow part with the pink part, because I like both colors but I think the brains would look really good against that yellow color

Hope that helps and doesnt just confuse you more ;p  It might sound like a lot of changes but after doing as much work as you have I think you'd be suprised how fast this would be.  But, honestly, I think any art that you care about as much as you obviously care about this is definitely a great gift.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009 09:09:46 PM by gina-marie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sunny Anderson’s Bottom-of-the-Tortilla Bag Recipes
How to Make Italian Sausage Hoagies
Ham Sandwich Recipe
PB&J Bagel Sandwich Recipe
Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...