A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shabby Shelf to Sweet Shoe Storage!  (Read 9334 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thesmittenmitten
« on: December 05, 2009 08:42:05 AM »

This project came about two ways:

1) I was sick of having a big pile of my shoes in the corner on the floor that were constantly in the way and getting tripped over. I have no room to spare in my closet, so getting a closet organizer for them was not an option.

2) I have an awkward space by the radiator in my bedroom that I didn't know what to do with.

A couple of weeks ago while I was (per usual) out at the thrift store, I spotted this bookshelf:

I could tell it was just the right size for that small awkward wall, so I went ahead and grabbed it. At $16.99 it was a little overpriced for a thrift store find, but I got it anyways just because the size was so perfect, and I knew with a little crafty-redo, it could be fabulous! In order to keep the overall cost of this project below the allotted $20.00, I used nothing but discarded/leftover items from around the house to spruce it up!

First, I still had some of the leftover paint that I'd used recently to paint my dressers with, so that was perfect for covering up the hideous laminate finish this shelving unit had. I left the inside of the shelves unpainted though, not only because I knew painting them would be a huge pain, but because I planned on storing my dirty shoes in there, and I was going to cover them with a curtain, so why bother?

The curtain was super easy, too. I had purchased a couple of pairs of curtains from Ikea for my living room, but they were way too long, so I still had some scraps that I'd cut off sitting in my closet. Lucky for me, the hem that was already on them fit the little curtain rod I had perfectly, so I didn't bother with having to sew anything! I just put them on the curtain rod, then attached the rod to the shelf via some thumbtacks and little metal hooks I had sitting in my toolbox. I neatly trimmed the bottom of them with some scissors, leaving them unhemmed. I know I could've hemmed them, but well, what can I say, I didn't feel like it. Tongue

And here you have the final result! A cute matching shelf for my bedroom set without the inconvenience of looking at all those danged shoes piled in the corner or taking up space in my closet!  Grin

P.S. I haven't posted here in about 5 years and couldn't for the life of me remember my old username and password, so I just had to sign up for a new account.  Undecided
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009 08:43:22 AM by thesmittenmitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009 10:07:46 AM »

This is very awesome. I've never thought of using a bookshelf for shoes although now that you've done it, it seems so obvious... lol. I'm looking at going back to school and living in the dorms to save cash (eep!) and this seems like a great idea! And actually less expensive and prettier to look at then most shoe organizing shelves or systems (hate the bags over the doors... ick).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thesmittenmitten
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009 10:27:14 AM »

Thanks, and yeah, who wants to stare at a bunch of lumpy old shoes in those bag thingies?! Wink

Plus, I have several pairs of boots that don't even fit in those bags or organizers, but they fit perfectly down on the bottom of this shelf!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009 10:28:56 AM by thesmittenmitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009 10:58:29 AM »

I have a massive pile of shoes in a box - your solution is so pretty and organized!
The recon is beautiful (and that original laminate WAS ugly!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Craftsunderground
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009 11:09:10 AM »

I especially like that the gathers of the curtain repeat the verticle ribs of the radiator! Serendipity!
Very creative solution and classy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009 02:19:21 PM »

Welcome back, and great job, and it fits perfectly in your space.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
StrawberryJeli
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009 12:09:39 AM »

That turned out really cute! I love the paint color choice too. Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009 01:02:17 PM »

This is really pretty, fits well into your room and serves its purpose perfectly - this is what I love about browsing Craftster! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
thesmittenmitten
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009 01:07:39 PM »

Thanks everyone!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Henny Penny
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009 08:55:19 AM »

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 11/30
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 6/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 5/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 9/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 8/11
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...