A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "That reminds me of something they would put in a Macy's window.." **TUTORIAL**  (Read 7290 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_tree , snowman , tutorial , decoupage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calvinlover16
« on: December 04, 2009 11:08:00 PM »

The title is a quote someone said about it.I was pretty ecstatic with that compliment, though I don't think it really deserved it. Anyway the tree with pink/green was constructed out of wrapping paper, glue, and a tall foam cone. The smaller tree I used scrapbooking paper (I think like two 12X12 sheets) And the snowman is made of two foam balls, ribbon, two pom poms, tissue paper, and then coated with a layer of sparkly glaze. Tray just painted white and fake snow on it.It was actually pretty simple to make.

Red One with Tan Bow

Newest Set (Sorry its a tad blurry)

White One

Another set

Here it is(excuse the messy craft table)

How to make the trees!!!! (never have written one of these before so if you have more questions just ask)

1. Get supplies: 1 foam cone(in whatever size you desere) **I recommend the white foam ones, but green will work**, white glue or hot glue if you use the green foam cone, ruler, something to cut with, and wrapping paper or scrapbook paper. The amount of paper demends on how big the cone is, it took me about 4 12X12 sheets of scrapbook paper(2 sheets of each design) to cover this small cone in this how-to.

2.Cut the 12X12 paper in scrips that are 3 inches wide(you can make them less or wider if you like), so they are 3X12 now. *note when you wrap them around the tree you will trim them to smaller sizes but they will remain 3 inches wide*

3.Next wrap the design strip you want to start with around the top of the cone, I would cut off the top of the cone so that is practically flat.

Then cut the strip where it just goes around the top one time, I cut mine a little bigger(better than too short) but the less overlapping the better.

4.Now fringe(you can make them wide or small) the strip you just cut to fit around the top good, but make sure to leave about 1/4 '' at the top so it doesn't rip easy.

5.Take your fringy piece and add glue on the top part (where the slits aren't at) **If you are using white glue** Now if you are using a hot glue gun put the hot glue on the foam and then apply the fring strip to it.

6. Do the same thing with your next different design strip, and then glue it under the other strip you already have on there.

7. Keep going until the tree is finished, alternating back and forth between your different design papers*note you can make it just one design if you want* I push all my strips up so its easier to glue on the next one and it makes it more fluffy at the end.

8. Start at the bottom and fluffy dowwn the strips (so the other side isn't showing)
Here i have already got up about half way up the tree.

9. Cover the top with a piece of leftover paper. Add a ribbon, star or whatever you want on the top. Whala a tree!!

How to Make the Snowman

1.Gather two foam balls, (one slightly bigger than the other) Tissue paper ( I used different hues of blue) Black sharpie/marker for the eyes and mouth, a little orange conbsturction paper, and just some glue. Optionaiol a a small peice of wire to stick the two foam balls together.
2. Tear chunks  of tissuepaper  and mcollege onto the two two foamballs. Cover completely both of them making sure to do only one thin layer. Wait for it to dry.
Keep doing it layer after layer until you are statisfined on how it loos .
4. Then if you want add a layer of sparlky  glaze . Let that dry.
5. Put the two foam balls together either by strong glue or poking a little wire imbetween them and then adding glue around the wire. Let dry until sturdy.
6. When the snow man body is completely dry you can draw on the face with the marker. . Fold the orange paper into a smaill cone and add as the nose.
7.Then with some ribbon make earmuffs and add two pom poms at the end of it.  Or you can make a little hat for it.
8. Finally get some  ribbon and tie is around the neck and vola a snow man.
Any comments, critiques, or anything else would be greatly appreciated! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010 09:22:01 PM by calvinlover16 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://benefitfashion.webs.com/  Fundraiser Blog with DIY's and more
wonderwoman1976
I usually have paint on my fingers and on my jeans.

"Believe it or not, I really can draw" -Basquiat

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009 11:38:44 PM »

lovely! I love it! i want to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-The Craftaholic
http://www.thecraftaholic.com
--------------------------------------------------------
Andrea Ravioli
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009 11:55:14 PM »

I LOVE IT! Super duper cute. Definitely perfect for a macy's display window!!! Good Work!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Polka Dot!
I've already earned 75 dollars in Amazon gift cards all for just using this search engine-- NO CATCH! PM me if you have any questions! Smiley
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/AndreaRavioli
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009 10:39:15 AM »

Gorgeous.  I think I might have a go at this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calvinlover16
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009 01:32:37 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments.  Smiley

I added a how-to make it, but if you have anymore questions just ask.

Oh and if you make  one I would love it if you posted it here!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summerland1975

Ickle Me Pickle Me Tickle Me Too

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009 05:24:27 PM »

This project looks professional and is inspirational!

I wonder if you could use Felt?  I found this very festive felt with the sparkle already on it... so I may try my hand at it.

Also, thanks for such a clear-cut easy to follow tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Alice
liz_loves_tone
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009 09:09:16 PM »

these are awesome!!! i work at Maurices and some of our decorations are really similiar to these..LOVE IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julietalpha
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009 01:19:41 AM »

Cute tree!  It's be a great way to recycle old wrapping paper.  Nice job on the tutorial, too!

Is there any reason why you start at the top rather than the bottom?  I would have thought it'd be easier to add layers on top the ones below.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
Jatoha
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009 09:03:15 AM »

I think these are great!  They're simple, but very effective!  I love the ribbon bows on top.

I clicked *this rocks*!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calvinlover16
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009 02:41:14 PM »

Summerland1975: thanks! Yea I would imagine you can but it may not be as fluffy...if that makes sense since the paper is more bendable. I'm glad you could follow the tutorial, and im glad it wasnt too confusing. You should try to make one with your felt Smiley

liz_loves_tone : Thank you, I'm glad some people like it, I myself is quite fond of it too Cheesy

julietalpha: No reason at all that i start from the top now that I think about it it might be easier from the bottom. I'll try it the next time i make one.(which will probably be soon ha)

Jatoha: Thank you! You can add other things besides a bow at the top like a pom pom but im a ribbon person.(ha)Awww really?  I have never been clicked on the "this rocks" before on an of my projects(at least i dont think)  Grin

Thanks everyone for the comments, they are really helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Redeye in Photoshop
How to Use IPhoto
How to Design Anime Bodies
How to Illustrate Anime Mouths
How to Design Anime Animals
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...