A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Circus Swap (SU 12/4/09-12/22/09 SO 2/15/10)  (Read 26053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2010 07:58:56 PM »

C_Q: The link Aisy posted is pretty close to what you're looking for: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/burlesque_bustle_skirt, and it has a sort-of pattern. And have a look at http://lovechildboudoir.bigcartel.com/featured, which has photos of several different variations of the burlesque bustle, with back and side views. Ultimately, of course, you're going to have to just start pinning and draping fabric to get it the way you imagine, but it sure helps to have some pictures for inspiration.

I like the idea of making it with 3 (or 5) buttonholes to fasten onto whatever the wearer likes. With buttons it would be easy enough to attach it to a corset, waist-cincher, bodice or just a waistband if you want to wear it over nothing but a pair of ratty striped stockings and a garter belt.

Oh, and I've just noticed that the link for "Make your own underbust corset" on the front page has gone bad. It's moved to http://www.darkleather.net/HowTo/corsetmaking.htm

And there's more here: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/corset_2

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

montyfull
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2010 05:12:54 PM »

For anyone looking for appropriate crafting music, check out:

http://www.steampoweredgiraffe.com/

I just found out about them, and can't help it - going to download their album. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2010 02:28:07 PM »

LA-Fairy -- do you know a good pattern for just the bustles?  THe links Aisy posted are great, but they seem almost like a skirt themselves.  I dunno I may just have to play round with the fabric I have (its sheer and sparkly)

Sadly I don't. I made me a 'pillowbutt' as I like to call it, with a belt and then just sew the fabric over it drapy wise. I had the button hole idea after I was done LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2010 03:07:38 PM »

Pillowbutt, that is such an awesome term"^.^"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2010 11:16:25 AM »

*snort* I know. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2010 11:42:11 AM »

So has anyone found gears in a store? I know there are tons online, but I don't have paypal anymore and don't want to wait for the long shipping that some stores have Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Staar84
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2010 12:08:44 PM »

I found some gears at a scrapbooking store. They're made for scrapbooking, of course, so they're plastic, but they look nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
cursive_queen
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2010 01:05:23 PM »

Michaels has metal gears in the scrapbooking section.  They're kind of pricey.  I spent too much on gears on esty... that were itty bitty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2010 02:46:39 PM »

Ok, I'm going to share my secret. Smiley Actually, I'm not trying to keep it a secret, and I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it before, but it was a new idea to me! Just didn't think to post about it till now-

I went to an antique store and bought some old metal wind up alarm clocks. They work the same way as wind up watches, AND the gears are nice sized! The faces and all the bits are bigger and I've gotten alot of milage out of them. Also bought a plactic wind up one, but most of the gears were also plastic. Still had some nice pieces in it though.

I'm sure you could find them at any junk shop, and probably at thrift stores too! Mine were about 3 or 4 dollars each. Just make sure (as with any watch!) that they aren't rare or worth something before you tear them up. They take alot of prying to get apart, just like an old watch. But it's worth it, compared to what you pay for gears online! I use the tiny screwdriver from one of those kits you buy to fix your glasses. Really cheap. Any tiny screwdrivers or prying tools work.

Hope that helps. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2010 03:45:20 PM »

Ok, I'm going to share my secret. Smiley Actually, I'm not trying to keep it a secret, and I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it before, but it was a new idea to me! Just didn't think to post about it till now-

I went to an antique store and bought some old metal wind up alarm clocks. They work the same way as wind up watches, AND the gears are nice sized! The faces and all the bits are bigger and I've gotten alot of milage out of them. Also bought a plactic wind up one, but most of the gears were also plastic. Still had some nice pieces in it though.

I'm sure you could find them at any junk shop, and probably at thrift stores too! Mine were about 3 or 4 dollars each. Just make sure (as with any watch!) that they aren't rare or worth something before you tear them up. They take alot of prying to get apart, just like an old watch. But it's worth it, compared to what you pay for gears online! I use the tiny screwdriver from one of those kits you buy to fix your glasses. Really cheap. Any tiny screwdrivers or prying tools work.

Hope that helps. Smiley
That was my original plan, but nowhere around has any and I asked how often they ever get any in and it's pretty much close to never Undecided
Michaels has metal gears in the scrapbooking section.  They're kind of pricey.  I spent too much on gears on esty... that were itty bitty
That's good to know because I was considering etsy. I wouldn't be too upset to get teeny ones because I could use them for jewelry, but I need larger ones as well for embellishments on articles of clothing. I do need to check out Michaels. I believe my partner told me I could find some gears in the scrapbooking section, I just haven't been able to go there in awhile since it's so far away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Face Painting - Adding Finishing Touches
How to Create Alien Eyes in Face Painting
Face Painting Tips - Applying Foundation
Face Paint Tools for a Galactic Alien
How to Face Paint a Galactic Alien
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...