A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Circus Swap (SU 12/4/09-12/22/09 SO 2/15/10)  (Read 24366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Staar84
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2009 10:34:38 PM »

Send outs are feb. 2nd. And I'm dying to see Sherlock Holmes! I'm hoping to go this weekend Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2009 07:29:45 AM »

Happy New Year everyone! Just checking in- I have all three items planned and am gathering supplies. We went antique-ing yesterday and I found some cool _____ for my large! Also got two old wind up alarm clocks and butchered them last night. Tons of gears and parts!!! I think I have the ability to make a really cool steampunk look for my items; just wish I had the skill to actually use the parts to make something that really works. Smiley Still, I think my projects are gonna come out awesome and I may have to make a duplicate of one of them so I can keep it for myself! It's something I've wanted to make for a while now. It's awesome to have an excuse to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
aisy
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2009 12:34:44 PM »

Because I'm Australian I'm really confused. Are sendouts the 2nd of January or the 1st of February?

On another note. I recommend we all go see the new Sherlock Holmes movie. It has a great Steampunk vibe in the costumes and sets and there's a Circus! I squeed in the theatre when the Circus came on.

-Ralph
its feb 1st-though that means different days since people live in different time zones.

and i am so dying to see sherlocke holmes!it looks really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2009 10:01:33 PM »

Ok, I can relax now and stop messing up my crafts because I'm rushing to get them finished!

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2010 09:04:46 AM »

I'm also looking forward to seeing Sherlock Holmes, though I already know I'll have to turn off my Period Authenticity meter before entering the theatre. Robert Downey's hair would be enough to set it off! I keep seeing this poster for the movie http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3004598272/tt0988045 showing a larger-than-life-size photo of Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler, wearing a purple satin dress that is rather loose (in the moral sense) in its interpretation of Victorian fashion. But the really unfortunate thing is that the photo is so large that you can't help but notice the fact that the buttons on the bodice are fake and the shiny fabric highlights how sloppily it's been cut. Also it looks like it doesn't really fit her very well. Knowing how the film industry works, my heart immediately went out to the poor costumer, who might have had to throw that dress together in a day and was probably never told it was going to be used for publicity close-up photos. The costume may even have been made for someone else and they just put McAdams into it for the photo shoot without worrying too much about niceties like fit and suitability. This is one of the many reasons I do not work in film! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

montyfull
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2010 09:11:36 AM »

I'm also looking forward to seeing Sherlock Holmes, though I already know I'll have to turn off my Period Authenticity meter before entering the theatre. Robert Downey's hair would be enough to set it off! I keep seeing this poster for the movie http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3004598272/tt0988045 showing a larger-than-life-size photo of Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler, wearing a purple satin dress that is rather loose (in the moral sense) in its interpretation of Victorian fashion. But the really unfortunate thing is that the photo is so large that you can't help but notice the fact that the buttons on the bodice are fake and the shiny fabric highlights how sloppily it's been cut. Also it looks like it doesn't really fit her very well. Knowing how the film industry works, my heart immediately went out to the poor costumer, who might have had to throw that dress together in a day and was probably never told it was going to be used for publicity close-up photos. The costume may even have been made for someone else and they just put McAdams into it for the photo shoot without worrying too much about niceties like fit and suitability. This is one of the many reasons I do not work in film! Roll Eyes

Oh, ditto Wulf!  I noticed the same things!  That drives me crazy, and its everywhere in the media. I think the worst offenders of historical accuracy are the illustrations on book covers. But to the untrained eye, that dress is as Victorian as they come. That is also why I could never work in films. Smiley  I'd be trying to make fit corrections between takes. hahaa Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
annachronism

will sew for tattoos

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2010 10:12:47 AM »

I'm always chuckling as I walk around the library with armfuls of romance novels to shelve- those, along with the family sagas, are the worst offenders for, er, 'strange' costume choices on the covers! One novel, which was meant to be set in Liverpool in the 1920's, featured one girl in an empire line, Regency style dress...and another girl in an Elizabethan gown, complete with jewels and big ripped sleeves!

I wasn't overly impressed with Sherlock Holmes- far too many explosions and not enough focus on the acutally-quite-awesome laboratory, and the science-y bits, for me. I found it a bit too boring to be enjoyable- it was nothing that I hadn't seen or read before  Undecided although the male leads were both fantastic, don't try and tell me there wasn't sexual tension there Tongue! Irene Adler's kimono type thing made me wince a bit, but the costumes are admittedly very very pretty  Smiley  You just need to leave all your historical knowledge at the ticket booth before you take your seat, and sit back for the ride!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2010 08:07:11 PM »

I thought it looked pretty... but then I'm not an expert, like some.

I on the other hand loved it, but I am a big fan of Guy Ritchie and really enjoyed seeing his contemporary twist on the story. I loved Robert Downey Jnrs take on Holmes as a tortured genius and the sexual tension between the leads was brilliant!

To put on my film nerd hat for a second: I also thought the editing was brilliant and the lighting superb.

But now: back on topic! I'm about halfway done but I may have to redo or revisit some things I rushed because I confused the send out date. But don't worry Wulf, everything will be perfect by the time I send it.

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
jiasaykea
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2010 08:29:35 PM »

I saw it as well and liked it a lot. But I'm also a big Guy Richie fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are pretty, we are smart, we've got crafting in the heart.

http://www.wists.com/jiasaykea
Staar84
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2010 09:12:25 PM »

Isn't she in a rather questionable profession? So maybe the dress was supposed to look like it's well used? I'm just reaching....But I agree about the corset, the waist looks like it was pulled funny before being finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Talks About Nora Rowley Part 2
Sy Montgomery Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Sanjaya Malakar Sings an Exclusive Song
Richard Snow Reveals His Book a Measureless Peril
Jane Costello Talks About Her Novels
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...