A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Circus Swap (SU 12/4/09-12/22/09 SO 2/15/10)  (Read 24022 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2009 08:35:51 PM »

You rock, Aisy! The necessity of combining two seemingly unrelated swaps has created a really brilliant one.

And Steampunk and Circuses are much more connected than it might seem. The traditional circus is essentially an invention of the Victorian age, and in many ways never moved out of the 19th century until Cirque du Soleil kicked it into the 21st. If you go around the back of the rides at any carnival, it's still pure Steampunk -- cogs, levers, pistons and grease-blackened steel. Even the 'punk' part is very much part of it, as the circus was always an underworld for misfits to "run away to".

I've been enjoying going through your list of sites and tutorials - some great stuff there. I can suggest a few more for general reference and flavour:

http://thesteampunkhome.blogspot.com -- the Martha Stewart of Steampunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHA5ypvetQA -- a French circus troupe that's sort of the anti-Cirque du Soleil. A lot of punk and at least a bit of steam.
http://www.carterssteamfair.co.uk -- The Royal Berkshire Steam Fair, a traditional steam-powered travelling carnival
http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2006/11/sideshow-finland.html -- some great 19th c. circus and carnival posters. In Swedish, but still good for style ideas.
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/p?pp/ils:FILREQ%28@FIELD%28COLLID+tisc%29%29::SortBy=CALL  -- US Library of Congress Tissandier Collection of airship/circus stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzyWja6vg3I -- The amazing Royal de Luxe company's giant mechanical elephant. Can there be a more awe-inspiring meld of steampunk and circus anywhere in the world?

I'm too much of a newbie here to be a participant in this swap, but I'll be watching it eagerly!

Wulf
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009 08:42:45 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2009 09:10:12 PM »

my winter break starts on wednesday, and i am so browsing through all of these websites!thanks Wulf!
maybe you can join  us in one of the subsequent rounds Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jiasaykea
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2009 12:32:49 PM »

This is very tempting to join. I love steampunk, and circus is cool if it's old school victorian. My problem would be thinking of things to make and what I'd want to recieve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are pretty, we are smart, we've got crafting in the heart.

http://www.wists.com/jiasaykea
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2009 12:59:44 PM »

I'm too much of a newbie here to be a participant in this swap, but I'll be watching it eagerly!

Wulf

!!!! All you have to do Wulf, is post 10 more times and you are eligible for one swap! The rules are 1 month, and 15 posts. You could totally join this one if you post 10 more times!

DO it!

Also, fabulous links! I know where I will be spending my evening  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2009 07:45:02 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement! Let's see if I can get 10 (now 9) posts by Friday. This would be a fun part of the pond to dive into.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2009 07:51:57 PM »

oh, please do!it would be super awesome to have you wulf!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Staar84
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2009 12:18:27 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement! Let's see if I can get 10 (now 9) posts by Friday. This would be a fun part of the pond to dive into.

Wulf

I went around and said stuff like "oh cute!" on posts I liked, that's really all you have to do Smiley And those links are great!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009 12:18:53 AM by Staar84 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
cursive_queen
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2009 07:16:08 AM »

Ok, I'm going to throw caution to the wind (and put aside my anxiety about being flaked on -- I have been flaked on twice lately) and send in my questionnaire

I'm new to liking steampunk (long time admirer - first time caller -- so to speak) and love sideshow/carnivale type stuff.  Lots of good inspiration from the links, will have to order some supplies when I get paid next week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2009 10:27:51 AM »

oh, im so sorry about that cursive_queen. thats really terrible Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alchamy513

Watson's Warriors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009 01:07:35 PM »

I've never done a swap before, but this one is calling to me... I just got in my 15 posts and I've been lurking for a long time so I'm all set! Just have to send in the questionnaire and hope I can figure something out. I love Steampunk, I just haven't been able to find anyone else who does!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes! : Avengers Assemble!
My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chewy Coconut Macaroons
Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
Easy Monkey Bread Recipe
Glow-In-The-Dark Ice Cream
How to Make a Sweet Cranberry Cobbler
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...