A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Snowflake In Memory of Her....(Img Heavy!!) **Semi-Tute**  (Read 8046 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament , plastic_canvas , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cjkRAFT
« on: December 04, 2009 11:17:20 AM »

Ok...so a bit of a back story. My Mamaw passed away January 19th of this year. This is my family's first Christmas without her. She was the glue that held us together. She was also a GREAT craft-er! She had 12 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren. She made these awesome snowflakes that she would hang on the Christmas tree every year. She had one for each of her grandkids. Every snowflake had a picture of a grandkid in it too! It was kind of tradition to go to the tree and search for your snowflake! She was amazing...But anyways, I decided I would make a snowflake for each of my family members with her picture in the middle. So every year they could hang her on their Christmas tree like she always did for us. I hope they like them.

This is the snowflake before it's put together. She/I used plastic canvas and yarn.

I made 11 snowflakes altogether.

Here is the snowflake hanging on our tree without the picture.

Here is the snowflake with the pic of my Mamaw.

Enjoy!!
Let me know what you think!
Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009 01:46:31 PM by cjkRAFT » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmmmgreen
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009 11:31:35 AM »

What a neat idea!  I think they are beautiful!  Did you find patterns online or did you use hers as your pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cjkRAFT
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009 11:45:24 AM »

What a neat idea!  I think they are beautiful!  Did you find patterns online or did you use hers as your pattern?

Thank you! I actually used hers. She had one snowflake that was unmade. I'll take pics and post so everyone can make some of their own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009 12:09:23 PM »

That is a great memory ornament.

i hope your family all enjoy this beautiful keepsake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
amelie
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009 12:14:14 PM »

What a lovely thing for you to do for your family! I'm sure your family will love them, and I bet she would be very proud of you-- not to mention pleased that you're keeping her tradition alive. They look beautiful  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Birdythemighty
Distracted by shiney

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009 12:33:57 PM »

that's really neat that you are keeping the tradition going with your family. great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lok-Tar Ogar!

Birdy's Blog: http://birdythemighty.blogspot.com/
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009 12:34:44 PM »

Love it... we have keepsake ornaments for each loved one no longer with us. It'll be nice not to have to make any this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjkRAFT
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009 01:45:44 PM »

Well I was going to try and make a tutorial but there are just WAY too many steps! I wouldn't be able to fit all of them on here! But I will give you a few pointers!

First you should cut your entire sheet of Plastic canvas into 3"x2 7/8" squares. (This step is optional. But it's a big help when you actually start to cut out the snowflake.)

I don't have a pattern to go by...you're just gonna have to count out the squares. (Make sure you're holding the square the right way! 3" across and 2 7/8" down)
Make sure to cut out two. On the 2nd one you cut out the middle. BTW, it helps to have a pointy pair of scissors!

You start here. Make sure to keep some yarn out. This is how you keep it together without knots!

This is where you will start around the edges. Remember to always bring your needle through from the back.

You will go back later and cover the rest of the canvas.

No knots! Slide your needle through the yarn on the BACK of the snowflake.

After you finished all four corners. You'll move to the middle. You'll start it out the same way as the beginning of the snowflake.

This is what the middle of the other snowflake should look like when you are done. Again make sure to keep some extra yarn out and wrap around it so there are no knots!

Sorry I couldn't put a WHOLE tutorial on here. I hope this helps some! Feel free to ask questions!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009 01:51:13 PM by cjkRAFT » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009 06:22:47 PM »

It is beautiful.  My grandma passed away in October.  I was looking at ornaments just today and they wanted $6.99 for a memorial ornament that wasn't even very well done.  And I thought "I could make one that would look so much better."  Then I find this.  It will be perfect!  Thank you so much for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
cjkRAFT
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009 06:30:48 PM »

It is beautiful.  My grandma passed away in October.  I was looking at ornaments just today and they wanted $6.99 for a memorial ornament that wasn't even very well done.  And I thought "I could make one that would look so much better."  Then I find this.  It will be perfect!  Thank you so much for the tutorial!

Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I know it's hard. But I'm glad my post helped you out! If you have any preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'questions...seriously') just ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Discover Artisan Kettle-Cooked Popcorn
Lemon Blueberry Pancake Recipe
How to Make Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches
Brown Butter Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...