A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need to paint a table- no idea where to start  (Read 907 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TeaCouture

Tea Couture... My sewing call sign!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2009 11:39:58 AM »

Howdy!

So I have this table:

and a picture from Flickr which is my inspiration:

And this book with 'Authentic' Turkish Designs

I scanned a few of the drawings and came up with a top

and side stencil

I'm not sure how to get the stencil to the table top so I can add paint... I was thinking I would add graphite to the back of the paper once I print it out full size: 26"x26" so I could trace the lines to the table and then start stippling. Any paint type suggestions ie.. acrylic, oil...  would be greatly appreciated too. I was also thinking I might need to lightly sand the top so the paint will stick better- but I'm not sure? After it's painted I was going to add a few coats of clear Minwax Polycrylic to seal it all.

Let me know if I should do anything different or if you have any other suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll not willingly offend, Nor be easily offended; What's amiss I'll strive to mend, And endure what can't be mended: Isaac Watts

* My Wist *
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009 12:47:48 PM »

I was thinking graphite too or if it's a dark paintcolor, chalk (?).

As for paint, I like using the small bottles of acrylic.  I did a small table with that and it's really nice.  It went on easy and fairly smooth with a sponge brush.  When I did my table, I sanded down the surfaces, really just took a piece of sanding paper and roughed up the surface, then Killz'd it, then painted from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeaCouture

Tea Couture... My sewing call sign!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009 12:50:44 PM »

I actually want the wood to show through. I'll mock up a quick pic of what I'm talking about when I get home tonight. Thanks for the feedback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll not willingly offend, Nor be easily offended; What's amiss I'll strive to mend, And endure what can't be mended: Isaac Watts

* My Wist *
pacman07
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009 12:49:08 PM »

First thing wipe your table in dry cloth then scrub with sand paper all over the table then paint it.It depend the color you like i suggest use acrylic i used it when my nightstands is fade.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009 01:58:14 AM »

I redid some chairs once where the wood showed thru. You definitely want to sand it down first. Fill in any deep gouges with wood filler, and let dry, then sand smooth.
  Here's the trick... take some white candle wax, and wax ONLY where you want the wood to show thru.
  Now, paint the table with good quality satin paint. I used oil base as my paint, because it is a tougher finish in the end, but it's not for beginners. Use good water-based furniture quality paint. If you use crap, that's exactly what your table's going to look like.  Let it dry a couple hours, then put on a second coat.
 Let it dry overnight.
NOW... take some steel wool, and rub off the paint where the wax is. It will come right off. don't mess too much with the rest of the paint, just yet. After you are sure you exposed all the wood that had wax on it, get your FINE sandpaper, and very gently smooth off the entire table. All your'e trying to do is lightly smooth up the surface for the next layer of decoration. And, the tiny bit of sanding is like when they prep your nail for acrylics... it helps the next layers stick better.
  Now, you are ready to transfer your image.
You can use dressmaker's carbon, it cleans up easily and is in several colors. Use painter's tape to tape your carbon and stencil in place. Tape separately, if it's the top, the carbon isn't going top slip, just tape it on the sides. I've never used graphite, but it sounds messy.
  Another hing I just discovered is this: If the design is on tracing paper, you can trace right on top of the tracing paper with a sharpie marker. The ink will go right thru, and be on your table. You can use a fine point marker if you like, and have the range of colors. I found this out by accident the other night! It worked like a charm on a board-game pattern I was making.
  Now, you have an image. Don't try to clean up your dust from the tracing. Leave that for later. get your paint on. Here's another use for those sharpies. Use the paint color =of=pen , and draw in your outlines. Now you can safely wipe up any graphite, or transfer chalk you used. This will help you paint cleaner detailed lines. I did this before on a table top... It really works!
  Finish with your clear-coat. Do this in the garage... you don't want any dust blowing around when you do this.
   Hope to see your pretty new table here soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Blueberry and Banana Muffins
How to Make Brownie Tarts
How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
Plum and Apple Cobbler Recipe
How to Make Marshmallows Dipped in Chocolate
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...