A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I've never even TOUCHED a serger...so what do I do??  (Read 2721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2009 08:52:07 PM »

Hi everybody! I have wanted a serger for about as long as I've known they existed, but never geared myself up enough to let go of the money to buy one. BUT. My mom was in my uncle's storage shed this weekend and stumbled across a serger, of all things! It had been my grandmother's, and my uncle so said I could just have it. THO EKTHITED!

Its a Brother 634D Home Lock

I -think- its in okay condition, I've never really looked that closely at sergers before. The light works, and I -think- the serger works in general, because I pressed down on the foot a bit and it hummed, so...?
If anyone who knows a thing or two (or anything, I know nothing! lol) about sergers sees anything blatantly wrong, please tell me!

It only has one needle...

The innards....They aren't all that attractive, there is some rusty looking happy going on in there, and I don't know if this thing was ever oiled...is the rust bad? I mean I know its not great...but...?

And (yes, I've got a boatload of questions) the needles are confusing me...I want to get more...but...I do not understand the TE x1 #11, #14 nonsense...

ANY help I would love love love and super appreciate! THANK YOU!

.Jordan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009 04:52:48 AM »

Is that rust or ____?  If it's rust- that could be a problem.

I'd love to tell you that if the light woirks, the stabber thingy goes up and down and the motor humss, then that's all you need, but there's simply more to it.  If you want to test it's functional ability, test it out with thread, fabric, needles... If it works, then great, if not, wither there is something wrong with the machine or there was a user error.  I'd clean and oil it and try to remove as much rust as possible first.

"TEx1" is the needle system.  #11 and #14 is the diameter size designations.  So, use TEx1 needles in size 11 or 14 for this serger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009 08:03:37 AM »

omg--it is a differential feed! did it come with instructions?  If not, you can probably get them off the website...does the cutter work?  The key to sergers is proper threading--usually you only need three threads for most projects...the colorcoding tells you where the thread goes for each spool (are they still marked inside the machine as well?)--it looks like the rust is very superficial (most of the parts are stainless steel so should not rust, however, the hinges on the parts that open can rust--clean it up and get a good sewing machine oil!)

I have a newer model of this machine and I bet the instructions are the same! I hope it works!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Chocolate_Jo

Can I have some fishy crackers?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009 08:48:58 AM »

Is that rust or ____?  If it's rust- that could be a problem.

I'd love to tell you that if the light woirks, the stabber thingy goes up and down and the motor humss, then that's all you need, but there's simply more to it.  If you want to test it's functional ability, test it out with thread, fabric, needles... If it works, then great, if not, wither there is something wrong with the machine or there was a user error.  I'd clean and oil it and try to remove as much rust as possible first.

"TEx1" is the needle system.  #11 and #14 is the diameter size designations.  So, use TEx1 needles in size 11 or 14 for this serger.

It might not be rust...its more on the casing than the actual metally parts...

AND. It works! After spending an HOUR trying to get it threaded, it works, and the cutter works! It is color coded, but there is one hoook that is pretty much up inside the machine that is almost impossible to get the thread on -.-

omg--it is a differential feed! did it come with instructions?  If not, you can probably get them off the website...does the cutter work?  The key to sergers is proper threading--usually you only need three threads for most projects...the colorcoding tells you where the thread goes for each spool (are they still marked inside the machine as well?)--it looks like the rust is very superficial (most of the parts are stainless steel so should not rust, however, the hinges on the parts that open can rust--clean it up and get a good sewing machine oil!)

I have a newer model of this machine and I bet the instructions are the same! I hope it works!!

lol about to ask a dumb question, but...is differential feed...preferable? I was able to get the directions of the Brother site (I almost BOUGHT those same exact instructions off ebay for like $6...and they were the same as the free ones on the site??? Jerks...) and yes the cutter works! I didn't even know they did that...lol! The color coding was awesome, I wouldn't have gotten very far without it ^.^

So about oiling it...I can just use the oil I use for my sewing machine? And is there like a chart...maybe, of where to oil it? My sewing machine manual came with one, but this one doesn't have one...

THANK YOU BOTH so MUCH for your help!!! I muy muy appreciate it!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009 08:57:20 AM »

there is a tool especially made to thread that little silly hook way deep inside--it looks like a big long needle--almost all sewing stores carry it--just look at the accessories near the sergers in the store...

differential feed is cool because you can ruffle with your serger, and it is awesome for knits or stretchy fabrics (I am using mine to make on of those ruffly scarves!)...

congrats!  I am so glad you stuck with it--I love love my serger!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009 02:06:26 PM »

there is a tool especially made to thread that little silly hook way deep inside--it looks like a big long needle--almost all sewing stores carry it--just look at the accessories near the sergers in the store...
- Looper threader

Differential feed works by adjusting the feed mechanism so the the fabric is either being stretch, compressed or some setting in between. It can be used for lettuce edging, gathering, easing, controlling the stretch of knits, etc..

Yes, you can use sewing machine oil.  For touch-up oiling between visits to the shop, you can simply oil the areas that you can access with a drop or two wherever two metal parts are in contact and move against one another. Usually the user's manual will have a section that covers this.   Since it has likely been quite some time since the parts inside the housing have been cleaned and lubricated, these should be taken care of as well.  Most people have this done by their local shop.  If you feel comfortable removing the housing- have at it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009 04:52:51 AM by Sew-Classic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
SPultz
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009 05:21:48 PM »

If you've got a local sewing machine repair shop you should take it in for an estimate.  The two near me will do a free estimate & they only charge $50 to clean, oil, & time a regular sewing machine.  I know it made  huge difference when I took my old machine in for a professional cleaning & timing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009 02:16:10 PM »

Lucky devil!  Grin
I have a store bought Singer and I have been having problems with it not wanting to cut some thicker stuff, so I told my DH last night to keep his eyes open when he goes to the thrift shop and he was like OH I saw 2 of those the other day but I didn't think you wanted another one. WHAT?? I told him next time he either calls me or buys it!

Anyways what have you serged with it?? I know when I finally got the guts to use mine I serged everything I could get my hands on to, just to get used to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
kylenstevesmom
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009 03:04:59 PM »

Grin  Are you LUCKY or what?Huh
I got a Singer 14 years ago as an Xmas gift.... It nearly fell to it's death out my 3rd floor bedroom window, but in the nick of time I found a barely used Husquvarna 905 for $300.  I've had it 9 years, and haven't regreted it for 1 minute!I would also sign up for a basic serger class somewhere.  They will show you how to thread the machine, use the stitches, and since you lucked out with the differential feed they will show you how to manage that as well.
I use regular size 14 needles stretch for knit fabrics and universal for woven.

I always use the 4 needles for everything except a rolled hem.

I would also say take it in to be serviced, just to be on the safe side, then you'll know that everything is working and it's all oiled and everything!

I can't believe that sergers are at thrift stores!!!  I'd LOVE to find one! I saw one once and they wanted $124.99 CND and it was an old 3 thread White one.  I guess Canadaians don't give stuff like that away, or I'm going to the wrong thirft stores!!!

Have fun with your serger!!!

Theresa

THIS ROCKS   Logged
THEkrps
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013 10:49:39 AM »

Just call me late to the party!

I own this machine too! Bought it new, for a couple of hundred dollars, nearly 20 years ago, at BJs--something I'd never do today. I hope you found the book and are sewing away with this by now! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What It Means to Be a Strategist
Why a Psychologist Chooses Design Career
Design An Arts Education
Design An Arts Education - HGTV Star Danielle Colding on the Arts
How to Apply Academic Theory in Business Work
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...