A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly foam cooler and box to cool chameleon wall hanging w/secret compartment!  (Read 12939 times)
Tags for this thread: wall_hanging , reconstructed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manycrafter
watercolorscuptartist

I love to paint!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 02, 2009 06:58:45 AM »

OK, I wanted to do something different, and I really LIKED the idea of turning a couch into a desk, but I couldn't fit one in my car! So, I went to the thrift store and looked and looked and looked, and came up with...turning these junky coolers and little wooden trinket box into a cool wall hanging with a secret compartment for my nephew! And, the price was right--coolers were $0.69 each and the box was also $0.69 so my total investment was $2.07.
After: and Before: .

It has a secret compartment, hidden in it, which is of course something designed for a boy to love:

How I made it:

1. Planning was easy. He likes lizards, so I went onto the Internet, downloaded and printed pictures of Chameleons, and then sketched on the coolers with water color pens.

2. Next I cut each part out using my hot knife (www.hotwirefoamfactory.com)--this is the tool I used the most on the project.

3. Now I started gluing. I got the glue from the same website, you need to make sure you use glue with foam that doesn't eat through the foam, and white glue never dries.  Sad You can use hot glue guns, though.

4. I let the glue dry overnight and then started carving--this is the fun part! I remove all the stuff I don't want. I use the freehand router because it lets me shape the blade and make cuts any way I want, so I can carve out the ribs and round out the edges. I love it because there is no mess.

5. Now I did the coating. I used Foam Coat, which is a hard cement coating. You just mix it up and paint it on. I wanted something really, really tough since it is going into a boy's room, and boys are hard on things. I needed it to be able to withstand being hit by a football or being knocked off the wall onto the floor!

6. I let the foam coat dry overnight. Final step was painting it. I just used acrylic paints. I just did it (the paint isn't really dry, but I took the pictures anyway to put this up!)

I spent about 5 hours total on this project--about 30 minutes at the thrift store, 30 minutes on the Internet, 2 hours cutting and gluing, 1 hour carving and shaping, 10 minutes coating and 50 minutes painting. (Well, I guess 6 hours because it took me an hour to write this and upload my pictures!) It cost me $2 at the thrift store, and maybe $1 worth of Foam Coat, and maybe $1 worth of paint, and my Hot Wire tools (but those were paid for a LONG time ago, I use them ALL the time!) so I would say the project cost about $4 total.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 07:50:25 PM by manycrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't decide what to be if I grow up so I have to keep trying new things!
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009 07:24:11 AM »

excellent work, I love hidden compartments but this would've rocked even without that Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
hermioneknits
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009 07:32:43 AM »

That is amazing.  Really, I would totally love one.  And a hidden compartment just makes it all the cooler!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting makes me happy.
McJulie-O
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009 08:10:26 AM »

I'm not familiar with your hot wire foam cutter tool... that looks pretty neat-o, and you've illustrated just how practical it can be.... what more can you recommend it for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009 08:18:18 AM »

Wow- that's really just so cool, and thanks for the in-progress shots- really interesting. So how much did your nephew love it!? The secret compartment is excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
manycrafter
watercolorscuptartist

I love to paint!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009 08:41:00 AM »

Dragronflywer--I haven't given it to my nephew yet--planning to for Christmas! Hope he likes it! I just finished it this morning!

McJulie-O--I use the Hot Wire Tools for all KINDS of projects...I do these really interesting no-sew quilts where I take a foam board and use the Hot Wire Engraver to create channels to press in the fabric, then I lay out the fabric and make it like a pieced quilt. They come out really beautiful and elaborate, people love them. I'll post one when I get time. I also am doing a big bass-relief mural with foam using the tools. I've used them to make furniture that I coat with layers of the cement mixture and then use mosaic tile on...gosh, so many things it's hard to think of all of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't decide what to be if I grow up so I have to keep trying new things!
McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009 10:44:20 AM »

Dragronflywer--I haven't given it to my nephew yet--planning to for Christmas! Hope he likes it! I just finished it this morning!

McJulie-O--I use the Hot Wire Tools for all KINDS of projects...I do these really interesting no-sew quilts where I take a foam board and use the Hot Wire Engraver to create channels to press in the fabric, then I lay out the fabric and make it like a pieced quilt. They come out really beautiful and elaborate, people love them. I'll post one when I get time. I also am doing a big bass-relief mural with foam using the tools. I've used them to make furniture that I coat with layers of the cement mixture and then use mosaic tile on...gosh, so many things it's hard to think of all of them!

Thanks! I look forward to seeing more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicanapunk84
I like my vodka like I like my men, hard and cheap!

Craft or dye!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009 11:05:51 AM »

This is totally neat-o. I really like the secret compartment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They'll say just let her crash and burn she'll learn
The attention just encourages her
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009 11:41:22 AM »

Do you work for the Hot Wire Foam Factory, lol? Just kidding.

Your lizard came out wonderful! Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
Asheri
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009 02:58:47 PM »

Wow! That is sooo cool--! Excellent work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Runway to Real Way Beauty
Carolina Herrera Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Donna Karan Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Frank Brand Exfoliators Review
StyleList Profile: Sophie Desmarais
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...