A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cabled hand bag  (Read 59661 times)
Tags for this thread: cabled  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sprung
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2006 10:38:04 AM »

Oh, okay!

Well, if you want to have more space/longer handles, you can just cast on more stitches than you did to originally make the bag, for one.
- Let's say your bag is 60 stitches wide on one side.  When you're ready to do your handles, you might knit 5, bind off 50, and knit 5.  Then on the next row, you could knit 5, single cast on 50 (or more than 50 here to make your handles longer), and knit 5 to finish the row.
- Those 5 stitches that you knit on either side to anchor the handles?  The less of these anchoring stitches you have, the more stretch your handles may have.  More stretch, longer handles.  Actually, my single cast ons always seem too loose and floppy, so if your single cast on is too loose like mine, you might not need to cast on extra stitches to make longer handles.
If the body if your bag is heavier than your handles can support, your cast on edge might stretch out, so your handles will be longer.
- The number of "anchor" stitches you have can affect this
- Also the type of yarn you're using (some will sag more, or others will have more elasticity and will bounce back despite the stretching)
- The type of stitch you use will also affect the stretch (you might use seed stitch if you want more stability/less stretch: http://icklenet.com/blog/images/little_purse.jpg)

Hope that helps, and sorry if I told you stuff you already know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apandalee
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2006 12:52:33 PM »

Thanks that actually helps a lot! If I don't get enough space between the handles and bag I think I am going to try casting on a few more stitches than I will need for the actual body, and then not casting the full number back on so I can use seed stitch for stability but still have long handles  Smiley Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg2101
Wand-Totin' Browncoat Ninja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2006 11:28:33 PM »

Those are awesome, I love the cabling, I haven't quite got the hang of it myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|| Wist | Flickr | Icon by me ||
yarnvirgin
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2006 08:43:59 PM »

ooh, i <3, i <3!  Must get this on my needles pronto.  The pattern reminds me of the irish hiking scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mims
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2006 08:41:44 PM »

I saw this thread and had to give it a whirl... (please click links to view images)

clutch.

lining.

of course this was my first cable project, but I'm very pleased with the outcome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Les reves sont necessaire a la vie
tejer
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2006 01:42:04 PM »

Another gift for another friend's 30th birthday!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MSWKnitter
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2006 09:11:02 PM »

Here's my take on the bag....today in the grocery store two little old ladies came up to me and asked me a ton of questions about the bag and how much they loved it. It was so sweet and made me feel pretty good about myself. This is my first time making anything other than a garter stitched scarf!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprung
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2006 12:00:39 AM »

Ooh, braided cables!

Can't you just imagine those two ladies casting onto their own cabled handbags? ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AWynkoop
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2006 07:21:43 AM »

I love the braided cables as well! They look great! and it is a nice variation on the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
caramelo

Knitting soothes me...

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2006 08:02:51 AM »

this is my first post in this forum.  here's my version:

Can't see your picture
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coconut Oil: One Ingredient for Gorgeous Hair, Skin, and Nails
How to Make Your Own Soap
Best Blushes For Different Skin Tones
Katy Perry Shares Beauty Routine
The Ultimate Summer Survival Guide for Looking and Feeling Great
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...