A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cabled hand bag  (Read 64652 times)
Tags for this thread: cabled  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abbs681
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2005 08:43:08 AM »

This is my first post here, so greeting to all of you crafty people!

I have been dying to make a purse like this, especially after seeing this one in Sex and the City:

I hope that picture went through!  If it didn't, you can find the link at:

http://www.hbo.com/city/look/carrie_4.shtml

If you click on season 4 for Carrie, it is picture 22 of 30.  Sorry that I'm not picture-savvy yet!

Anyway, I haven't learned how to cable yet, so I would love to try making just a stockinette stich version of this purse.  Is it a matter of just knitting a large rectangle and folding it over?  I tried making one on circular needles, starting with a rectangle base and picking up stitches around to make the body, but it came out funny looking - I'll try to post a pic when I get home from work.

Any suggestions/advice/help would be greatly appreciated in terms of needle size, type of yarn, etc.  Thanks!

Abby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluesparkie

crafter and fashionista

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2005 08:58:19 AM »

I am so impressed!!  These adorable bags have inspired me to learn how to knit something other than baby hats!  I'll make it my mission this summer to learn how to cable knit if it kills me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/bluesparkie

I'm not a nymphomaniac, I'm a compulsive liar.
littleweasel
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2005 12:49:03 PM »

Wow, these are very cute, and simple enough to figure out too!  I have to try it soon!  Thanks so much for the great idea, Pretendingsanity  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy www.littleweasel.etsy.com
princess*of*capri
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2005 01:25:44 PM »

I am hoping someone hasn't already explained and I didn't see, but how do you attach the handles??? After looking back thru this post I really want to make one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2005 02:48:15 PM »

This has got to be my next project!

Thanks for the instructions. I'm finally gonna get the books out and learn cables.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
jane7879
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2005 10:22:26 AM »

i new to knitting and i would love to make this bag, but i am not completely sure what cable knitting is. is it difficult to do? i really want to figure out the one in the Sex in the City picture
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ADHDCraftster
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2005 12:22:47 PM »

I can't believe you beat me to it!  I just finished the larger looking margaret nicole bag, but I made my own pattern (so it looks like the margaret nicole bag).  It is really the simplest thing I've ever made and I just taught myself to knit two weeks ago!  I just have to finish the lining and add the magnetic closure, and voila.  I'll post a picture as soon as I finish it!  Hopefully by this weekend.

Here's the margaret nicole purse: http://www.margaretnicole.com/MargaretNicole2/homepage/index.htm

Here's the pattern that inspired me on how to change it so it looks like the expensive one: http://www.yarniverse.com/page.htm?PG=FreePatterns

JoAnn's now has a bigger purse handle selection and you can now find wooden handles too.  I just used a yarn needle to connect the handles, and it was a sinch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable...
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2005 12:39:58 AM »

Ok.. even though these bags just aren't my style - I don't do cutesy... I know lots of people who do, and I had to give them a shot - I can either give as gifts, or sell them to those people. Here's the 2 I made today while sitting in front of the TV.

Another view that I just love how the photo came out...

And some straight on views:

I haven't lined them yet because my mother has my sewing machine and I refuse to hand sew anything unless my life depended on it - and even then I'd have to think about it first.  Grin The bows are a little crooked - can anyone point me to a tutorial on how to tie pretty perfect bows??

OH... and one is hand knitted, the other is on my bond knitting machine. I wanted to compare how long it would take me to do each way - suprisingly, it worked out to about the same for each one with all the hand manipulation involved on the machine knit version. Without my saying which is which, can anyone tell the difference? I'd be curious to see if anyone can tell which one was machine made.

I did take a tip from the machine knitting process and cast my hand knit one on with some waste yarn. That way I picked up the stitches from where I started the actual color onto another knitting needle and unravelled the waste yarn. All this  then got transferred to my 'home made double pointed needles' I attempted to make from the other thread that the tips just weren't working out smooth enough for my liking. They're a little long for the purses, but they'll do.

Smiley
J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
knitoholic
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2005 02:29:12 PM »

i don't know the name of the yarn (i brought it all back home to cali!), it's a canadian brand of merino wool, bought at smiley's manhattan sale

If it's a Canadian merino wool, sounds like it could be Mission Falls?  I love that stuff, it's very easy to knit with and nice and soft Smiley.  I must try knitting a cabled handbag too.  Oooh, my first shot at cabling...this should be interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scapina
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2005 03:29:33 PM »

i'm totally going to make those as gifts. not my style- but i know tons of people who would die for them. thanks for posting the instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put together the 16mm Camera
Production Begins (PART 2)
How to Film a Teaser Film
Production Begins (PART 1)
Production: How to Make some Zombie Action
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...