A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Austrian/European Cross Stitch Style?  (Read 2638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RedPoppy
« on: December 01, 2009 08:29:33 AM »

I was recently on vacation in Austria, and in Salzburg, I visited a folk society's store selling local/regional crafts and art pieces. I noticed a lot of cross-stitched items that consisted only of red motifs on white cloth -- is there a name for this style? They had a book featuring various red-on-white patterns, but it was in German and my language skills are limited in that tongue. I haven't been able to find much information since returning. Any help would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wvudarling
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009 11:18:36 AM »

I believe it is just called "redwork", at least that is what my mom and grandma have always called it.  Based on a quick google here is a site that looks like it has some background.  http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/redwork.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedPoppy
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009 11:35:26 AM »

Thanks, wvudarling! I am familiar with redwork, but I was under the impression that it was more of a form of embroidery, not cross stitch. The items I saw in Austria definitely were cross stitched. Is there a name for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009 08:11:46 AM »

Could it be blackwork done with red thread?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009 10:34:32 AM »

I'm not sure if there was ever a  true 'term' for that type of embroidery...I've Wiki'd and Googled the subject and not found any hard & fast terminology for 'Austrian' cross stitch. Kittykill's correct in that one form was originally called Black Work as that color of thread was the most affordable to all societal classes.

The Norwegians have 'Hardanger', white drawn thread needlework done on white or cream 22-count fabric.

In the late 19th century, a dark red cotton thread called 'Turkish Red' (Americanized to Turkey Red)  was developed that didn't bleed on fabric and was inexpensive to manufacture.  That made it affordable for all households, and 'Red Work' became popular in embroidery, cross stitch and quilting for the 'common' homemaker all over Europe and the Americas.  The trend lasted into the 40's in America.  If you have a Flickr account, type in 'Red Work Embroidery' in the search engine.  You'll be blown away at the stuff that's out there!

If you'd like to find some fantastic old patterns, visit the Antique Pattern Library at http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/.  There are many, many German/Bavarian stitchery books on this site for free download.

That's the extent of my knowledge, I hope it helped you a little!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
grandma817
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009 03:26:35 PM »

This is my first post so I hope I can help.  Perhaps what you saw were monochrome or one color patterns like in silhouettes? 

Grandma817
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedPoppy
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009 10:21:17 AM »

Thank you all! Perhaps monochrome is the term, but these items I saw were not elaborate or shaded like monochrome "portraits" I've seen. They were simply traditional motifs (jumping stags, abstract designs, etc.) done in red thread. The only thing that led me to believe there might be a term for this type of cross stitch was the aforementioned book of patterns that were all rendered in red thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Collage Sheet
How to Make a Photo Collage
How to Make a Cartoon Collage
How to Have a Perfect Green Christmas
How to Create a Wrapping Paper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...