A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for suggestions - handicapped child  (Read 788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imokaynow
« on: November 30, 2009 09:24:49 PM »

I work with a 9-year old boy with CP and is mentally retarded. He is currently on bed-rest after surgery but has a bed tray. For Thanksgiving we did a turkey headband using his hand being traced. He needs a lot of hand-over-hand and his ability to do detailed work or much coordination is very low. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for activities preferably Christmas related that I could do with him. I have some of the basic dyed noodles strung, Santa mask with a paper plate and pompoms, foam ornaments with glue-on pieces. Another one that I really want to do with him is dipping pretzel sticks in chocolate then in sprinkles. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holiday Specials Now Listed!  http://smerchant.etsy.com
MerryGlas
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009 03:22:56 AM »

Hey, there's loads you can do with him. My mum used to work with disabled kids and they always loved crafting for Christmas! Try stars made from lolly sticks (think you call them popsicle sticks in US?) You can buy them from craft shops either natural wood or pre-coloured; then you paint them if needed (just dip them in trays of paint) or just cover them in glitter (dip in watered PVA glue then have fun with glitter!) Make them into stars by sticking 3 together in the middle (like an asterix *) and hang them everywhere! They look great hanging in groups and they're so easy to do, hand-eye co-ordination not needed!
If you want to make gifts with him you could try making papier mache bowls or animals? Blow up a balloon to whatever size you want then cover with scraps of multicoloured tissue paper dipped in a mix of water and glue. If you want to make bowls only cover half of the balloon, to make animals do the whole thing. Pop the balloon when its dry and add googly eyes, pipecleaner wings etc for whatever animal you're after. The bowls look great filled with wrapped sweets.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009 06:01:45 AM by MerryGlas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

imokaynow
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009 10:23:03 AM »

MerryGlas,

These ideas are fabulous. I think December will be a very busy month for us. He loves doing craft activities (only done a few so far but his reaction was priceless). It's also great to have ideas from someone who is familiar with the situation.

Thank you!
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holiday Specials Now Listed!  http://smerchant.etsy.com
Katydidnotdo
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009 09:23:54 PM »

My Sister is disabled as well and she loves crafts... 

One year I got felt and made a big christmas tree wall hanging... then I took in all sorts of smaller pieces of felt to her... she and I glued together ornaments and such and decorated her christmas tree (works for easter and fall time as well)

Yarn baby balls work on dexterity ... you cut a cardboard donut and then wrap yarn around through the hole and around the outside densely until you fill the hole then you around the edge... if you make small ones they are pom poms but are fun to hang as ornaments on a real tree. (I haven't done this in years so I may be missing a few steps)

If glass is okay... you can make swirled glass ornaments with just paint and the clear ornaments.

Salt clay is fun to make and endless possibilities to do with that... or you could change it up a bit and use gingerbread instead. 

Chocolate covered Marshmellows... similar to the pretzels... but lots of fun to watch melt Tongue~ also go well as christmas gift with a packet of cocoa... homemade or store bought ...  (I just use a gift in a jar recipe for cocoa and put it into small foodsafe bags that can be found in the cake decoration section)

Fabric scrap garlands.... just take some rope.... and fabric scraps.. and at interval tie the scrap to the rope... and instant garland... and it looks rustic and cabiny too.

depending on attention span... large hook crochet can be alot of fun relatively quick to make scarfs and functional too. 

Yeah I'm not coming up with much more today... but felt is always a good bet.... I always buy a bunch when it comes on sale each year to restock my stash of it... basically if you need an instant project create scenes or hangings with felt....  also good for making fabric postcards. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 3/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 22/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 16/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 23/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 2/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...