A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm finally done! Two hand-tufted fabric scrap rugs  (Read 5698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 30, 2009 07:54:49 PM »

teaser pic...

Ok so I havent posted anything to Craftster in a loong time, I have been so busy with school! I am getting a BFA degree in textiles, and for one of my classes this semester we did a rug tufting project. Tufting involves using a tufting gun to insert fabric strips or yarn between holes onto a backing fabric and makes loops on one side of the fabric. It's similar to hooking rugs.

here is a link that explains it better : http://www.erug.com/learnrugs/learn_detail/weave/lrn_weave_tufted.htm

and here is a diagram of a tufting tool: http://flooringamericatville.com/rugs/handtufted.gif

I chose to do my rug project based off of early Southern American quilts. I live in Georgia and quilting has quite a history here! I did a lot of research and ended up writing a paper about it in another class. I wanted to emulate those women making the quilts, who maybe didn't have the resources to buy all new fabric and used what they had- old clothes, scraps, feed sacks, etc.

The rugs are tufted with hand-cut fabric strips, I cut up all my old clothes that didn't fit anymore. It was a LOT of work, cutting the strips took almost as much time as tufting the rugs did! I would estimate that about 100 hours of work went into each of these rugs. Except for the backing fabric (I used burlap), I, proud to say the rugs are made of all recycled materials!

Ok enough backstory... here are the pictures!

the first rug i made, it is a little over three feet square (About a meter sqaure)

each sqaure was done on a frame and then sewn together, here is one sqaure finished and taken off the frame and one frame stretched and ready to go!

I backed it with an old bedsheet and embroidered my name and the year in the middle

Here is the second rug i made, it is about the same size as the first

all the squares not sewn together yet!

one tufted square... front...

... and back!

EDIT: here are more pictures of the tufting tool:

a tufted sqaure, the tufting tool is at the bottom with the fabric strip threaded through

here is the tufting tool, i was being silly so ignore my face Tongue

I hope you enjoyed my post, comments and criticism welcome! I go to present it tomorrow in class, then I will be done with school for the winter break!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009 05:33:19 PM by nat_attack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
Severed Ties
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009 08:14:14 PM »

Wow great job! The rugs look lovely  Smiley I like the concept of recycling old materials for it too. This is a project I'll have to keep in mind for a later date.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oyhana
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009 08:30:09 PM »

This is amazing!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009 06:40:13 AM »

Impressive!!! what kind of tool is a tufting tool? and how do you keep the tufts from pulling out? I clicked the link you posted and it says to clip the tufts. Did you do that to every lil tuft?
Good luck with your education Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009 10:34:09 AM »

Fabulous work.  I love that you have chosen to use recycled materials.  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veganruthie
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009 12:40:34 PM »

Gorgeous! Excellent job. So cool to be presenting it to your class. WTG!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009 05:36:39 PM »

what kind of tool is a tufting tool? and how do you keep the tufts from pulling out? I clicked the link you posted and it says to clip the tufts. Did you do that to every lil tuft?

I posted a diagram and a few more pics in the original post to better show the tufting tool. to keep the tufts from pulling out you apply a VERY thin layer of polyurethane onto the backside of the fabric to glue the tufts in place.

I did not clip my tufts, I liked how they looked as loops. When they professionally tuft carpets and what not they will clip the tufts but it's not necessary.

thanks for the feedback guys, I presented it yesterday and my teachers loved it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009 06:09:11 AM »

Why wouldn't your teachers love it?? Grin Thank you for posting more pictures. The tool reminds me of a huge needle punch tool. Maybe there is here needle punch came from??
Great work I really enjoyed it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid
How to Do a Headband Braid
How to Do a Kinky Twist
How to Fake Side-Swept Bangs
How to Ask for the Style You Want at the Salon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...