A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sexy T-Shirt Bikini :) -- FINALLY W/ Long Awaited Tutorial! (Pic Heavy)  (Read 14935 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bikini  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Catiegator
« on: November 30, 2009 07:37:57 PM »

I go to UF, and I have a TON of shirts laying around at the end of every football season. At first I used one of them as a mock-up for a gameday dress recon, but that failed. Miserably. So I took the scraps and made the bottoms, but didn't have enough to make the top.. so I just cut up another shirt Smiley It's a little skimpier than I meant for it to be, but I think it's still cute!

This is what the shirts looked like originally.

From the front

From the back

This is my first post here. Please let me know what you think! Smiley

EDIT:
As requested back in December, I've made a tutorial! It's pretty thorough and I hope it's easy to follow, feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

You'll need 2 shirts that coordinate (one for the top, one for the bottom) Personally I chose for both to be graphic tees but you can make one graphic, one patterned, both plain etc.

*I needed 2 shirts because I chose to line my bikini, but if you only wanted 1 layer of fabric you could conceivably only use one shirt if you planned well!*

Layout the first shirt, we'll start with the bikini top. Use a cloth measuring tape, measure across the width of your chest, where you want the top to begin and end. Also measure the length, from top to bottom, of where you want the top to begin and end. Take that measurement and add about a 1 inch seam allowance to the length (top and bottom, .5" each) and about 2 inches to the width (left to right, 1" each side). Now take chalk or an ink pen and a ruler (if you'd like) and draw a rectangle (or if you prefer a different neckline I'm sure you could do that too) with the dimensions you measured, framing the graphic in the center (if there is one).
Then, cut through both sides of the shirt, making 2 rectangles of this same size. Finally, cut two long strips up the side of the shirt. See the below drawings Smiley

Now place the two right sides of the rectangles together and sew along the top and bottom (ignore the fact that one of the sides is sewn up on the picture... I messed up lol Smiley).

Now turn it right side out, fold the sides over so that it forms a tube, with the ends on the inside of the bikini (so you don't see it!). Sew up the sides to close the tube (but leave the top and bottom open!).

Now take the two long strips, and pull them as long as you can. I had to pull mine pretty hard to get them as long as I wanted, but you should also be able to cut 4 strips and sew 2 and 2 together to make 2 very long strips; the seam of the ties should be within the top so it should be hidden at all times! Totally up to you and how long or short you prefer your strings to be. Afterwards, tie a knot on both ends (optional) and thread it though the two sides, like so:

The top is now finished! Smiley

Now for the bottom. Grab a pair of well-fitting undies or bikini bottoms. Depending on where you want the graphic (if you have a graphic on the bottoms) either trace the front or back side of those bottoms onto the front of the shirt, centering the graphic. Below it on the "stomach" area of the shirt, trace the other side of the bikini bottoms.

Now cut through both sides (front and back) so that you have 4 pieces in total. Cut 2 strips from the sides as you did with the top (or if you want them extra long, cut 4 strips!) You should have the following components:

This is the part that's a little complicated to explain. Lay down the 2 front pieces, right sides up. Cut the 2 strips (ties) in half; or, if you cut 4 strips, then just take two of them. Lay the ties on the right side of the fabric, lining up their edges with the side edge of the bottoms (see pic below). Now lay the other side of the front on top, so that the "right" sides are touching and the "wrong" sides are facing out. Sew up the sides, along the leg holes and the top, leaving the crotch open (so you can turn it right-side out). It may take a while to get it right-side out but it's worth it to hide those seams Smiley once you do get it right-side out, put it aside and do the exact same thing for the back of the bikini.
**in this pic, the far left are both "right side", the middle is "wrong side", and the far right is "right side"!**

Once you have both sides, lay them back to back with right sides touching and wrong sides out. Sew up the crotch, and you're DONE!

Hope this helped!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010 08:54:11 PM by Catiegator » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chunkybee
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009 08:19:21 PM »

Wow,thats cool and hot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catiegator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009 10:10:12 AM »

Thanks very much! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SummerScoobySnacks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009 08:50:56 AM »

thats so cute! can you post a tutorial? thats such a cute bikini!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catiegator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009 08:27:47 PM »

Thanks! It's finals week for me right now, but I could work out a tutorial a little later in the week for sure, if you want me to. I'm glad you like it enough to make it yourself! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SummerScoobySnacks
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009 02:25:15 PM »

if you could make one when you're not busy, that would be epicly awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curlsmakethegirl
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009 02:32:40 AM »

that's adorable! I second a tutorial when you aren't busy Smiley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cody2009
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009 07:39:10 AM »

holy crap!  so hot!  please please post a tute....i would love to give this a try....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catiegator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010 04:56:42 PM »

Tutorial completed Smiley Sorry it took me so long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CH4r!ie
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010 01:51:32 AM »

very funky!! good job!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Antique Your Own Paper
How to Applique Quilts
How to Bind a Book
How to Carve a Cylon Pumpkin
How to Carve Shrunken Head Apples
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...