A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorating Blank Walls  (Read 38453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bumblev

Happy Crafting!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2003 06:14:33 PM »

Ok, I'm not sure if painting the walls of your house can be crafty but here goes!

A couple of weeks ago we began fixing up our kitchen and living room. Since they're joined, we wanted the paint on the walls to really define that one section was the kitchen and the other section was the living room. So, we painted the kitchen walls white with a foot high red border on top and the living room red with a foot high white border on top. It looks great but there's one wall in the kitchen I want to do something fun with. Here are my ideas:

I would love to hear your opinions on which one you like best. Heck, feel free to let me know that all of them suck and give me new suggestions! Thanks!

V
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004 07:10:58 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Designed to Plant a Smile!
http://www.gerberadesigns.com
simone
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003 06:35:57 PM »

Hey V,
I definitely think painting your house is crafty! I like all your ideas for painting actually. #4 is sort of the most understated, which might be good if you have furniture that's patterned or "louder." But, I think #1 is my favorite--people (myself included) never really take big chances with paint. . .and why not? If you hate it you can always paint it again (although, red paint is such a pain in the arse since it's low hide, but it's glorious).
Good luck!
--Simone
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:00 PM by 1062345600 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*chickadeesimone.livejournal.com* www.chick-a-dee.com * www.bazaarbizaare.org * www.magpie-store.com*
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003 08:00:20 PM »

Great ideas!  If only painting a room was as easy as photoshop-ing!

I recently saw -- where the heck did I see it -- a company that makes these giant low-adhesive, stick-on designs in cool designs/colors that you slap on your walls for a no-commitment way of decorating your walls.  I was reminded of these when I saw the 50s-ish boomerang idea you had.

I'll try to remember where I saw these...

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
simone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003 08:12:25 PM »

Like this?

http://www.wallcandyarts.com/wallcandy_arts.htm

They're pretty cool. . . though, I know my lumpy walls would make these slide right off.

I think I saw another site that had simpler ones. . . can't remember where I saw that, though.

I know you can also go to sign shops and get some made (there's one on Broadway in Somerville near Teele Sq).

--S

*chickadeesimone.livejournal.com* www.chick-a-dee.com * www.bazaarbizaare.org * www.magpie-store.com*
bumblev

Happy Crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003 08:38:47 PM »

Tee hee, that site's cute. There's also another site that has geometric shapes that you can put up on your wall (circles, squares). They even have Space Invaders stickers! I considered making my own (there was a glitter thread a while back) but worry that the wall texture would get in the way.

The Circles Theme was my first idea but couldn't figure out a way to paint them up there. Painting circles free hand would be a pretty big pain in my arse.

V

Designed to Plant a Smile!
http://www.gerberadesigns.com
flying_gum_wrapper

The Amazing Flying Gum Wrapper!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003 04:55:04 PM »

If you wanted to do the circles on the wall, there's a pretty easy way to get good, even circles, although near the ceiling, it may require, uh, getting creative with a ladder. My friend and I did this on her bedroom wall, but the circles were really little. It took ages to measure, but it looked really good.

It's a bit complicated to describe without pictures, but basically you start in the top corner of the room.

Beforehand, you have to decide the radii of your circles. Say you want the circle to be 12 inches across. Then the radius would be 6 inches across.

Where the wall and ceiling meet, measure 6 inches out from that corner, and make a mark. Next, where the wall meets the other wall, mark 6 inches down.  Then (it's best to use a level for this), draw a line straight down from the first mark, and straight across from the second mark, so that the lines cross in the middle. This is now where you would put the point of your giant compasses, or you can use a nail, a pencil, and soem string, to draw your circle.

Essentially, you just repeat the process with the other circles, it becomes easier to do when you've done the first one.  It requires a great deal more effort to measure the circles out, but the end result looks really good.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

--Saz

When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into water guns and aim for the eyes!
monkeyrocker
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003 07:48:46 PM »

I like #1 best, but I think 2 and 3 are attractively retro kitchy. I think #4 looks slightly institutional somehow.

As far as the vinyl stickies, were people thinking of http://www.whatisblik.com ?

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
ahalya

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003 07:44:41 AM »

#1! I love it.
snoopendous
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003 02:49:13 AM »

I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions about blik.  I just purchased 3 sets of the blik circles, although it looked kind of easy to make.  I was in Lowe's this weekend and saw a lot of vinyl squares in different colors that could probably be cut to make shapes to stick on the wall.  I was also thinking that some place there must be sold some cooler looking sheets of plastic or whatever that can be stuck on the wall.  However, they may not be as easy to remove as the blik stickers, so I was thinking about attaching them to posterboard or another type of medium that can be hung on the wall and easier to remove later if necessary.
artzyfartzy
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003 04:24:08 AM »

I like #1 best..
it's adventurous and I bet will shock peoples socks right off when it's done!

and #4....is my second choice.  it's very clean and cool lookin at the same time... prolly a heck of a lot easier too!..

cant wait to see what you do with that blank canvas!!!!! have fun!  Grin

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Take Your LBD From Day To Night
Get Summer Music Festival Makeup
Veronique Branquinho Fall 2014 Paris Fashion Week Interviews & Runway
5 Swimsuits Perfect for Any Body Type
The No-Fail Guide to Pool Party Style This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...