A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 129
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: craftalong:post a project on every completed projects board in a year (ish!)  (Read 100254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: March 16, 2010 05:43:31 PM »

Edel, this is exactly what I've been looking for! Everything I've read about lampworking makes a big deal about how you need specialized equipment, ventilation,etc. I've just been waiting for somebody to say "Nah, all you need is a propane torch and a piece of broken bottle." (You can melt glass with a propane torch? I would never have guessed.) I've got a bunch of broken Indian glass bangles that I think should be great to make beads out of, but it seemed to be beyond me. This has just brought it right down into the basement where I want it!

I'll do a bit of experimenting and report back.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: March 16, 2010 07:20:31 PM »

Hey everyone, just decided to jump over here after seeing Wulf's scrapbooking contribution. Loved the non-traditional page by the way, very much the way I scrapbook! My mom is a traditional scrapbooker, and doesn't always LOVE my pages, but recognizes me in them.
 I'm going to have to catch up on these 50 some pages and join you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: March 16, 2010 07:41:44 PM »

Okay, here's my scrapbook page. As you might expect, there's a story, which I'll mostly relate here rather than in the Scrapbooking board because you guys have shared in the many pages of background to this! Be warned - this goes on a while...

My older (and only) brother Peter died in 1991, and even though that was 18 years ago, I still have a hard time dealing with his absence. For the first ten years at least I really couldn't even talk about him, but it's been getting a bit easier in recent years. After the discussion here the past few weeks I realized if this scrapbooking challenge was going to be about tackling the darker areas of our lives, I had better use it to deal with the big unspeakable thing in mine. The easiest thing was to do a page about us two brothers growing up together, but as I collected photos of us as children, I found a few of Peter as an adult, (only a few, though. Did I give the others away?) and that made me want to represent a memory of him as he was before he died, not as a child. Terrible events often get represented in our memories by specific images, and mine in this case is his motorcycle on fire. (A story best told over a few drinks in a more intimate setting than this.) That led me to thinking of the American artist David Wojnarowicz, who often painted things erupting in flames. (My brother would probably have liked Wojnarowicz's work as much as I do, but they both died of AIDS at about the same time and I never got a chance to share it with him.)

The scrapbook page had been going nowhere, but at least this was something I could tackle, so I made an ATC of the motorcycle on fire:

That kind of led to wondering how David Wojnarowicz would have donescrapbooking, and I decided to tackle the problem head-on and create a page around the image of the burning motorcycle. It started out as kind of "in the style of" but in the end I think it's much more me than Wojnarowicz. I placed a few small photos of us as children around it, and finally only used two of the adult photos. Both are black and white, which gives a certain look to the page. (I sort of wish one had been colour, to break it up a bit more.)

Anyway, that's the long, overdramatized story. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: March 16, 2010 08:02:08 PM »

I haven't done my page yet, but you are giving me the push I need. Thanks so much Wulf, for this story. Your page is awesome! I too lost someone dear to aids, an employer. Actually,
I'd have almost fallen in love with him, except he was, well, taken. That was in 1994. We made wedding gowns together. Or, he sold them, and I made them. All that to say, if it had been a sibling, it would have been far worse. I can't even imagine. Siblings are so connected.
   Anyway, I think my page is going to be about Damian, the little guy I released at birth. He's 23. I have lot's of pictures.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: March 17, 2010 12:21:06 AM »

Thanks for sharing Wulf!  I appreciate the story behind the ATC and I think your graphic is very fitting.  Kl, I can't wait to see your page. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 17, 2010 05:58:12 AM »

First of all Wulf, I want to say how sorry I am for your loss. I know how hard it is to deal with the "unspeakable" things in life. I really like your take on the scrap-booking board. Im a little stuck on it too, haven't even stated to plan it.The scrap-book album is pink and that's upsetting me. Also the fact that my dad got me a bag full of albums (he found them on a sale) is intimidating for me. I get overwhelmed easily.

Ok Im having this issue.I can be a bit anal sometimes and try to do things by order, so the fact that I haven't started from number 1 is bothering me greatly. OK so the Bath and beauty board, how should I tackle it? Is soap making expensive? How much do you think I have to spend to make some soap?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
themuppet

Wants your tasty brainmeats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #556 on: March 17, 2010 06:18:03 AM »

Wulf, I started to post this on your scrapbooking post, but then I figured I'd ask the personal questions here instead.  So I just left general kudos there and will ask the burning (heh) question here (which you can completely feel free to ignore if you think it's too personal or whatever)

How do you feel now that it's done?  I imagine that this was a hard page to accomplish considering your difficulty with accepting his death.  With a wound, there is picking scabs with unwashed fingernails, leading to infection and difficulty healing, and then there is surgical debridement where the scabs are lifted under sterile conditions to allow the healing tissues below to breathe and form more new flesh.

So.. Which was it?  Scab picking or debridement?  Wink

Maria, bath bombs.  Really easy to make, pretty cheap, you only need baking soda, witch hazel, and citric acid (you can even scent and color them with kool aid).. I made some during the holidays, really easy.  The only thing that's hard to find is citric acid, especially in the dinky town that I live in, but I hear you can find it at hobby lobby and, failing that, there's always online ordering.  There are instructions and recipes all over the internet for them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #557 on: March 17, 2010 10:37:25 AM »

Wulf...fantastic work. whenever I am over your side of the world we will meet and have that drink and you can tell me the full story. I also cant wait to hear how you get on with the beads. I had the same reaction to the instructable when i saw it too. i have been wanting to do lampwork for ages, but have been put off by the ridiculous costs...I like crafts to be less about expensive equipment and more about creativity.

pixieval..welcome! this is a pretty cool group in this corner of craftster...even if I do say so myself...

I have a sudden urge to go and play with a blowtorch...I need to find a metal skewer..I have some plaster of paris dust..and bottles and a blowtorch...hmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: March 17, 2010 10:56:16 AM »

The scrap-book album is pink and that's upsetting me. Also the fact that my dad got me a bag full of albums (he found them on a sale) is intimidating for me. I get overwhelmed easily.

Spray paint is your friend, Maria Isabel. It will hide so many horrors, including pink.

And Muppet, I have to admit it wasn't either scab-picking or debridement. (I love your metaphor - you wouldn't work in medicine, by any chance?) I found that the scar had mostly healed without my realizing it; I guess I'd got so accustomed to not looking that I hadn't noticed. So it wasn't anything like as difficult as I expected. Writing the posting was a little harder, but that helped too.

And thanks KLK, Edel and everyone for the kind words. Craft therapy -- can't beat it!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #559 on: March 17, 2010 11:10:43 AM »

reporting back from the blowtorch frontline...i know..it was quick...and not terribly sucessful. I have a smallish blowtorch, the gas cylinder is about the size of a regular spray paint can, it stands up by itself so it worked brilliantly. Melting the glass is very quick and easy and since glass is such a poor conductor of heat my fingers were only about two inches from the flame and didnt get hot at all.

The glass is fairly easy to draw out into a stick, it is a lot more difficult to get it even, the rods of glass that I drew were too thin. i think the trick is to keep the glass in the flame until you have a large molten blob (instead of a small one that I had) then you could probably draw out a thicker rod.

My problems came when I tried to wrap it around the mandrel. i didn't have a bicycle spoke so used a knitting needle instead...however they must be made of aluminium as instead of melting the glass around the needle, the needle just broke off...twice..lol... so to recap..it is actually pretty easy...and not scary at all..just need to find bicycle spokes now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 129 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 23/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 24/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 22/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 3/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 19/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...