A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 129
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: craftalong:post a project on every completed projects board in a year (ish!)  (Read 108763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

themuppet
Wants your tasty brainmeats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2010 11:40:39 AM »

ohhhh that is clever!!  I will definitely keep that in mind.  Much easier to wrap my brain around.  tytyty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2010 12:12:11 PM »

I like that idea as well....somehow making pages to glue in regular pictures does not appeal to me either...I like to display stuff and alter them too much to make a conventional scrapbook...thanks once again Bethie for helping us break out of the "box" Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2010 06:18:53 PM »

I'm glad to find I'm not only only one who doesn't love scrapbooking. I like some of the papers and the embellishments, but the whole manufactured, ideal family life template just creeps me out. It's an artificial, middle-class American world of football, ballet class, band camp and barbecues that is completely alien to my life, or any real people I know. Sure, I can go though my family photos and pick out the ones that fit the scrapbook lifestyle, but it would mean leaving out most of them. Where are the stickers for "Mom loved her new chainsaw!" or "My sister's Buddhist wedding"? And it's all positive and happy: births, graduations, birthdays, weddings. But real photo albums are as much about the people and places that we have lost: house fires, deaths, accidents. Cousin Clifford is remembered not because of his Little League baseball games or his wedding, but because his float plane disappeared in the mountains and was never found. Or Uncle Lou who worked on the oil rigs and funny he never married. They have no place in the modern American scrapbook, and their lives have to be edited out if they don't fit the preformatted pages.

I'm sorry, that turned into a total rant and I didn't intend it to. Now I've gone and worked myself up and I'll have to go and look at lovely photos of poppets or something to calm down.

But what can be done about Scrapbooking?

Wulf

PS: I meant to say that the piece of knitted lace is a circular doily about 8 in. diameter. I've never seen its like before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2010 06:35:41 PM »

HeyWulf... I'm with you there on the whole formatted scrapbooking thing. How about pages labeled  "The Kids in thier Foster Homes" Huh  Or .... Never Mind!

as for the lace, From the look of what I saw, it looked like it had an edge. If it's a closed circle, then it's probably not a collar. I'm concerned it may not hold up to much handling.
I have an antique silk scarf, that's silk English net with tatted lace on the ends. I wear it sometimes, but it could easily be destroyed if I'm not careful. One  of the treasures from Grandma's stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2010 06:44:12 PM »

Craftster is meant to allow people to run the gamut of creativity from ultra traditional to totally radical...the concept of no tea cosies without attitude meant that we are encouraged to take any art form and make it our own...

so perhaps we can brainstorm and share other ways to overcome this aversion to a preconceived "scrapbook" page...let's make it whatever we want it to be...

I think the memory part is crucial, but the presentation is open to interpretation...

whatever...let us commiserate our dilemma and overcome it!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

themuppet
Wants your tasty brainmeats.

« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2010 07:24:31 PM »

Yeah I totally need a "the Christmas my mom came out of the closet" layout... hahaha!

I just figure I'll save that one for last.  Or 2020.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2010 07:31:59 PM »

Craftster is meant to allow people to run the gamut of creativity from ultra traditional to totally radical...the concept of no tea cosies without attitude meant that we are encouraged to take any art form and make it our own...

so perhaps we can brainstorm and share other ways to overcome this aversion to a preconceived "scrapbook" page...let's make it whatever we want it to be...

I think the memory part is crucial, but the presentation is open to interpretation...

whatever...let us commiserate our dilemma and overcome it!!

I will have to share my photo album with you guys.  It's scrapbooked, in the sense that the pics are on a page with embellishments and journaling, but it really reads more like a photo album.  I will try to scan some of it tonight or maybe take some pics of some of the pages to show you what I mean...I have never been to a scrapbooking class or used the premade page layouts, so maybe that's why I didn't realize there are so many traditional things you're supposed to do (or feel like you are anyway).  I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time? lol!

ETA:

Okay, here are some scans of my photo album/scrapbook.  These go in sheet protectors in a pretty binder on my bookshelf in the living room, and my entire family has a great time bringing me more pics to force me into adding more pages...lol.

This is my husband and his coworkers/drinking buddies at the yard after work one day.  I made the tree out of construction paper and had the alphabet stamps laying around.

Okay, the preggo girl is me, 17 days before I gave birth to my daughter (yes, she was early by about 2 months, but I was also extremely sick the entire time I was pg.  That's why my belly doesn't look preggo hardly at all.)  It is not done, I am still looking for something to put in the middle, but I still like to look at it.

This one has journaling but you can't see it in the scan, as it's a light purple gel pen.  I just tried to write the date and something important about the pic and who's in it with me.  It's kind of busy looking but it's one of my faves.

And this one...well, I just had to share it because I love my little little!  I like the black marker because my dd can read it and tell people about herself as a baby. 

I guess these are more random photo collages than actual scrapbooking, but they are fun and easy to look at, and they keep the memories all in one place with some notes about it.  I have a whole book of these but I tried to pick my faves to show you guys!  See how I didn't do much with fancy frames or anything?  I just kind of cut up pics and stuck them in and tried to keep them the same topic (like, the same person or the same event or whatever).  They are simple compared to other scrapbooking projects but they are totally me.   Grin

PS - if these pics are too big and bug anyone, let me know and I will make them thumbnails instead.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010 08:02:01 PM by BethieB » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: March 02, 2010 12:19:48 AM »

And because I am a thread hog, I have one more thing to say!

The quilting board is done and a WIP is finished!

You can read all about it here - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=339906.0

Now I have to go find my list and update it, then quit losing it.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2010 03:33:35 AM »

wulf I love (and agree with) your rant.

bethieB I like your pages.

the thing I dont like about scrapbooking...(and I do like some bits of it) are that using the same embellishments on the same layouts, different peoples scrapbooks start to look like cookie cutter pages, i think a lot of that can stifle creativity a little, it becomes more a little bit paint by numbers. I love home made embellishments and pages that are a little different, whether subject matter or design.

what I do love about scrapbooking as distinct from photoalbums is the journalling, I love when you read the context of a photo, and how things were when it happened, but again, I have to draw a distinction between the 'everythign in our life is wonderful' type journalling, and the real-life quirky interesting stuff

i think that this might be a good first challenge on this thread--> the scrapbooking board (I know it was originally suggested that we each choose our own scariest board) but I suggest that perhaps if we all work on the same scary board (the list so far seems to include, spinning, carding, glass and scrapbooking) it could be fun.

throwing down the gauntlet

create a scrapbooking page (or box/s) using mostly made, rather than purchased embellishments, featuring a quirky or uncommon aspect of life.
You have a week to ten days to do it and post it and let us know how it was for you.

lol...easy or what!!! who is with me??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2010 06:53:48 AM »

Bethie--thanks for sharing your pages...I agree that each page is personal to you and works in your family...however you want to document your life's journey is not "wrong"--ha ha --perhaps it is good that you never took a class or attended one of those home scrapbooking classes...

ha ha I used to have nightmares of being on one of those scrapbooking cruises...trapped at sea with paper and glue sticks...omg...and hundreds of women using the same die cut on their cricuts...brrrrr

I am going to jump on the challenge and complete a page or something akin to a page...of what my real life has been like...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 129 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turning Gingerbread Cookies Into Tree Ornaments
How to Make a Photo Memory Box
How to Make Leaf Print Holiday Wrapping Paper
How to Make Glitter Pinecone Hanging Ornaments
How to Make Faux Bois Giftwrap
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...