A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
796 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 129
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: craftalong:post a project on every completed projects board in a year (ish!)  (Read 104677 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2010 10:01:42 PM »

I am not brave enough to attempt etching with the creams and stuff.  I am trying to think of a way to convince hubby I need a dremel.  He said it has to be used for more than just glass, lol.  But, I did find a bunch of air dry glass paint the other day (already posted about it here once I think) so I will definitely be experimenting with that for the glass board.

And I didn't just take a nap, I actually went to bed for the night and now I feel great!  Ready to sew Smiley

Don't let the creams scare you, Bethie! As long as you don't ingest them or stick them in your eye, you'll be alright. I personally would be scared to use the dremel on glass as glass can be unpredictable under pressure... I used to do stained glass and it has certain properties to it that make me want to have a dedicated "glass" room before I go at it with a dremel... speaking of which, I got one for Christmas and still haven't taken it out of its box Sad I need to find a project with which to use my new toy!

As for me, I've been killing my fingers learning to knit and took a break last night to try some spinning Smiley My first two yarns are currently drying from their bath, and I'll probably get to posting them sometime later next week as I want them to sit on their niddy-noddy (really just a plastic bin cover) and work on their twist memory, hehe.

I am so super sensitive to everything and anything that I am afraid of the creams.  I can't even use bleach or most household cleaners because they make me throw up and give me migraines.  And I read that the glass stuff is really strong and fumey.  But, if I happen to find it on sale or in the thrift shops, I will be getting it so I can at least try it out without paying full price.  I figure I can do it outside and if it bothers me that much, wear a mask.  We shall see how it turns out!

I am so jealous that you are already spinning and dying!  I can't wait to get the supplies together for that.  It looks so fun, I have been stalking the boards in that department soaking up as much info as I can.

I am still working away at my quilt.  I am determined to get it done before Monday, and since I only have one short side left, I really think I can do it tonight.  I showed it to my mother in law, who is an expert crafter/seamstress/quilter, and she fell in love with it.  It was the first time she didn't make any negative comments at all about something I've made so I am super happy.  Can't wait to be done!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2010 11:03:26 PM »

Bethie.. Looking forward to your finished quilt!
Edel.. You are an awesome stitcher! But... perhaps you need a commercial machine to handle all the bulk ? Mine sews thru 10 layers of denim with the right needle.( like a size 20) Then you need the heavier guage thread too. Special Leather needles? I know fur is brutal on the hands. And the finger stains from it.... Yuk!! But what a wonderful cote you made!! And you really looked great!
Lovesclutter: Glass etching? Some -how I think you are going to suprise us with something off-the wall! That's not something I'm going to try just yet! Good luck with it!
As for the area I'm most afraid of.... That would have to be the Silk-Screening board. Perhaps it's the set-up cost of it? Or the spinning board? Or maybe I dread the thought of getting outside in Mom's yard. She's planning an overhaul soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2010 11:41:31 PM »

Somewhere on this thread I posted a link to a tut for silk screening that used mod podge instead of more expensive resistor.  I think there were some other cheap hints in it as well...and it made screening look easy enough that I am not AS terrified of it now!  I am afraid of the glass, the spinning and the clothing boards.  I bought a pattern the other day for an outfit and bought the fabric too...I just have been too nervous to even prewash...lol.  That one really has me nervous!

PS - I just finished my quilt!  1:33 AM, not too shabby.  I can't take good pics to show it off on the Quilting board until tomorrow, but I am so in love with it that I had to tell someone it's done! Grin
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010 01:34:02 AM by BethieB » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
attackofthequacks

glue addict - glitter glue, that is ;)

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2010 06:28:08 AM »

well done on finishing your quilt BethieB  Smiley can't wait to see photos of the finished thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for batik fabric or shrinky dink plastic - PM me!

My Wists: www.wists.com/attackofthequacks
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2010 07:45:42 AM »

Boy, the Glass board sure has people spooked, doesn't it? Personally, the one that keeps me awake at night is Knitting. Repressed childhood learn-to-knit traumas, I expect. It doesn't help that I just picked up a little doily of fantastically fine knitted lace, so now I want to learn to do that! (The sensible side of my brain says "Maybe we should start with a dish cloth.") I guess that better be the one to tackle for this month's challenge.

Quilting is about half done. Shoes in the planning stages. Made myself a nice spindle out of an old yo-yo and picked up a good book on spinning the other day; now just need some wool to fall into my lap. Screen Printing isn't one I'm worried about, though I haven't done it for years, but I didn't have any ideas about what I might do. Now I'm lurking around a re-made clothing swap  and I really like the idea of incorporating fabrics screened with text and images. So I better dig out that box of old inks and resists and see if any are still good. Crochet and Needlework will be fun because I have a great old needlework book I've been meaning to get into. Even Clothing for Kids shows promise, because I'm going with some friends to a Renaissance festival in the spring and their 6-month-old baby will need some garb. I might even get to use that microscopically fine lace I've been hoarding for who-knows-what.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #345 on: February 28, 2010 08:23:15 AM »

If you have been hoarding that lace you must join that swap and be my partner. Cool

I love your work by the way, the vest.

Etching is easy after cutting the stencil it is just the cream. I have another product I may try just sitting here. I made a doll for a swap yesterday and have to costume HER.  I am looking at 20.5 hours of work though today and tomorrow.

I have a wall quilt done for a swap that is sent but cant decide what board to use, it has image repro techniques, and quilting. hmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Muria
« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2010 08:28:52 AM »

I have a wall quilt done for a swap that is sent but cant decide what board to use, it has image repro techniques, and quilting. hmmmm

Which one are you likely to do again soon? I'd go with the board you're least likely to do soon, so it's out of the way.  Of course, if you're likely to do both soon, you probably should just flip a coin.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #347 on: February 28, 2010 08:29:56 AM »

Yep, probably the quilt, as I image repro all the time. I love mixing technology and fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: February 28, 2010 11:48:09 AM »

Boy, the Glass board sure has people spooked, doesn't it? Personally, the one that keeps me awake at night is Knitting. Repressed childhood learn-to-knit traumas, I expect. It doesn't help that I just picked up a little doily of fantastically fine knitted lace, so now I want to learn to do that! (The sensible side of my brain says "Maybe we should start with a dish cloth.") I guess that better be the one to tackle for this month's challenge.

Quilting is about half done. Shoes in the planning stages. Made myself a nice spindle out of an old yo-yo and picked up a good book on spinning the other day; now just need some wool to fall into my lap. Screen Printing isn't one I'm worried about, though I haven't done it for years, but I didn't have any ideas about what I might do. Now I'm lurking around a re-made clothing swap  and I really like the idea of incorporating fabrics screened with text and images. So I better dig out that box of old inks and resists and see if any are still good. Crochet and Needlework will be fun because I have a great old needlework book I've been meaning to get into. Even Clothing for Kids shows promise, because I'm going with some friends to a Renaissance festival in the spring and their 6-month-old baby will need some garb. I might even get to use that microscopically fine lace I've been hoarding for who-knows-what.

Wulf

Try the Kniffty Knitter.  I can't knit at all (honestly, have never even held the needles) but I was able to make a knitted hat on that thing in less than four hours!  It's not even a bit scary, I swear.  I made some dishcloths and washclothes too and they are soooo much softer than the ones I crocheted.  Love the KK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #349 on: February 28, 2010 12:39:07 PM »

I think I am avoiding the same boards as everyone else! glass, spinning, and probably stenciling...I did buy freezer paper...so that is a start...ok--two weeks to mentally get prepared!!

It is so great to have all of your support and thanks for sharing your fears as well!!

I think it is great to at least try out a board I am not familiar with, just to know that I tried...ok--going to plan the supplies and what I will need to do to get those boards out of the way... Cheesy

Wulf--I would love to see that vintage knitted lace...I have the tinest knitting needles from my grandmother and I always wondered what they would be used for...I bet it was used for lace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 129 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insta-Makeover: Preppy Hair Gets a Too-Cool Makeover
Insta-Makeover: Curly-Hair Fauxhawk
Insta-Makeover: The Sleekest Short Hair Style Ever
Insta-Makeover: How to Style the Fishtail Halo Braid
Transition Your Beach Hair to a Night Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...