A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 129
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: craftalong:post a project on every completed projects board in a year (ish!)  (Read 104509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010 04:07:53 AM »

InShambles join join join!  Even the difficult ones teach you a lot...mostly about yourself..lol, but it is good. I am looking forward to cranking out the easy (for me) ones so I can get onto the always-wanted-to-try-but-didn't-get-around-to-it crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010 09:36:56 PM »

This could be a lot of fun... I'm definitely going to be watching this.
Edel, I must tell you, I found out the hard way you need a 16" pair of circular needles to knit a hat, and probably should have those dp's for the very top. BUT... if you make a seam, then use the circulars, and just knit back and forth. That's what I'm doing now. And, you don't have to worry about dropping your needles. For guage, make a small sample, about 4x4", in the different variations. Then you can calculate your stitch count.
If you look at the knitalong board, I just posted a beanie pattern. I made it the way I just said. It took a lot of test pieces, and now I'm doing a sweater.
Being a seamstress, I just remembered why I put the needles away for the longest time! But, I find knit patterns easier to follow than crochet patterns. You really did a beautiful job on the red hat!
I have posted in many of the boards, but like others, there are plenty of crafts I am not working with. Pottery is one. Does just painting a flower pot count? Honestly, I have issues with my hands drying out, so I'd prefer to pass on that.
But, Here's the others I may be stretched with... glass, fiberspinning.,silkscreen, but they are also crafts on my yet to learn list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010 02:40:36 AM »

KLKing thanks for that tip. I will remember that if I ever decide to knit again, but honestly i think i am retired from knitting...for ever! I can deal with the technical issues if I get better wool and the right needles, the big problem that doesnt go away is that its just too slow! I can make a coat in the time it took me to knit one (very chunky) wristlet. lol this challenge is certainly making me learn more about myself. I am not sure I will ever learn patience!

making swap packages is a great way to work on the boards. I have two ready to go, but dont want to post them until my partners receive. Polymer clay (also not one of my strenghts!) and crafty home wares.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010 04:10:43 PM »

Edel, I definitely agree that knitting is way too slow! That's why it's been forever since I've knitted anything. Mom put the knitting needles in my hands at age 6. They kept our little hands busy! So, I learned a lot of stitches  when we knit a sampler afghan when I was 8. But, I started sewing at the same time. Much better for quick gratification! I'm only having the time for all this stuff because of my broken foot!
  I definitely need to learn some technical art skills with my PC. It's the reason I held out for a printer with a flat-bed scanner. BUT... I still don't know how to scan!( I'm going to make the daughter show me soon)
  You are probably like me... can sew in your sleep! Being on craftster this year has really stretched me in my experimentation.
The one thing I really want to do is learn how to make hand-made glass beads. There's a cost-factor there. I'm with you thinking that mosaics on mirror glass, or wood may be a good starting point. Even busting up a mirror, and arranging a design on something. The only glass project I ever did was a High-school shop project, where we used glaze to create a stained glass effect on a mirror and made a wooden frame with the scroll saw. I really loved that piece! And, it was super easy to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010 04:17:36 AM »

KLKing Oh I am with you on that. at one time or another I have done most of the crafts on craftster, even down to blacksmithing, silversmithing and woodworking. But then one thing I haven't done, that I would love to do is lampwork beads (and stained glass.) I have been holding off on finding out how much a basic set-up would cost, because its not like I dont already have a million crafts I like to do.

scanning is easy, you could probably just open the program on your computer and wing it, its pretty much step by step. You can of course print onto fabric and then sew that up, not really washable though.
I am like you, I always come back to sewing, but am a bit of a craft-tart getting sucked into something for a while, churn out a heap of stuff then get bored and then drop it on the unfinished pile. I am flirting with bookbinding at the moment, if I could only crack the glue issues I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010 10:50:26 AM »

Bookbinding is interesting... I've played with it a little. I only have Aileene's Tacky Glue available right now. I'm really not sure if that's considered suitable, but it did read that it was acid-free. Doesn't it always seem that to pick up a new craft, you have to spend a small fortune to set it up?
  But, Before I leave this world, the lampwork beads are a must-do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2010 06:33:05 PM »

I see that people committed to "50 Projects in 2010" seem to be each posting one message in the thread with their list and then editing it as the project goes on. Is that a good method for this too? Should each of us post a "placeholder" message then add links to our crafts as they're posted to the project boards, or each start with a copy of Edel's blank list and strike out project boards as we've posted to them?

I like the idea of Scouting badges as a sort of underlying theme. Always good to have somewhere to start!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010 06:42:32 PM »

Actually Wulf, that's just what I was doing before you posted Smiley
I'm soooo in on this, especially because it'll go right along with my 50 projects in 2010 stuff and I'm always interested in learning new artistic/crafty trades!

Blue = Posted (and linked!)
* WIP
1.   Bath and Beauty:  mango and pineapple infused vodka flavored lip-gloss for my sister (it's what she wants... yech)
*2.   Clothing: General: dress for me
3.   Clothing: Reconstructed: Huh
4.   Clothing for Curvaceous Craftsters: Huh Would I be considered curvaceous? hmm?
5.   Sewing Clothes for Kids: shirt for my son
6.   Shoes: boots from a tutorial I got in the mail
7.   Costumes: Mal coat from Firefly for hubby
*8.   Crochet: queen-sized spiral blanket
9.   Spinning: First Attempts
10.   Weaving: place mats for my table
11.   Felting: Huh
12.   Dyeing: tie-dyed onesies
13.   Glass Crafts: Etched Glass Pitcher for MIL
14.   Crafty Housewares: General: Curtains for Craft/Guest bedroom
15.   Crafty Housewares: Reconstructed: my couch is all torn up, would re-covering it count?
16.   Interior Decorating: my baby boy's room (always in progress)
17.   Exterior Decorating / Yard Art / Gardening: Garden pretties for my MIL
18.   Pet-Related Crafts: homemade doggie biscuits for my puppy
19.   Stenciling: Star Wars t-shirt for friend's hubby
20.   Inkjet Iron-On Transfers: Huh
21.   Other Image Reproduction Techniques: Huh
22.   Trinkets and Jewelry: General: oh, I'm always making jewelry, there'll be something to post here
23.   Trinkets and Jewelry: Reconstructed: see #22
*24.   Beads: Beaded wand for my MIL to whack her delinquents over the head with
25.   Knitting: General: First Attempts
*26.   Misc Completed Projects: fabric garland for Christmas decoration
27.   More Art, Less Craft: Winter Freeze Photos
28.   Needlework: Good Luck Bear Onesie
29.   Paper Crafts: General: Handbound Journal
30.   Paper Crafts: Reconstructed: Huh
31.   Scrapbooking: Digital Scrapbook of my baby boy
32.   Polymer Clay: Covered Altoid Tin for my Mom
*33.   Pottery, Ceramics, etc: D&D scenery game pieces
34.   Purses, Bags, Wallets: General: Huh
35.   Purses, Bags, Wallets: Reconstructed: Reversible bag from old airforce uniforms
36.   Quilting: Fairytale Quilt for my Grandma
37.   Machine Embroidery: Art Quilt
38.   Toys, Dolls and Playthings: Puppies!
39.   Silk Screening: Huh

Gotta lot of WIPs  Undecided Just need to buckle down and finish them all!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010 10:02:38 PM by tcmatteson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010 03:55:54 AM »

hey wulf, that is a good idea. I am doing that, but instead of posting the list, I am postin a pic and a link of each project I have done....and if I enjoyed it or not! But tcmatteson 's list is cool too. Takes up less space
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2010 07:11:48 AM »

Hmm... I think my toughest areas to complete will be: Machine embroidery, Exterior Decorating (I live in an apartment), Spinning, and Silk Screening- simply because I don't have the materials or the money to buy the materials needed for these types of crafts Sad But we have some time to get it all done, so it can't be too bad and maybe after a lil' searching I'll be able to find some tutes describing cheapo ways to do such things Smiley I've often wondered about spinning and knitting, though I've wanted to get a better handle on crochet first...
There's a video on youtube for screenprinting on the cheap:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3b0eomSYz0

For spinning, you can get a drop spindle (which is what I intend to use), which is much cheaper than a spinning wheel. Or find a place locally with classes that will let you use one of their wheels.  You can do machine embroidery with a regular sewing machine: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=279218.msg3160261#msg3160261 (It's a good idea to draw out what you want to do first, especially if you're trying to do lettering). 

I've been looking into taking a class on either beadmaking or stained glass (there's a semi-local company that has a one day workshop to learn stained glass: http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?page=workshops_main ). There are a few other class options in the area that I'm looking into (shibori dyeing, cold process soap, and some really interesting fiber classes), but they're mostly during the week in the morning, and I don't think my 4 year old is going to be patient about it. I like classes, especially for intimidating crafts like glass (hot stuff, and breakable stuff: so I can break it AND set the place on fire?  Great...). The likelihood of screwing up completely is much lower when there's a knowledgeable instructor overseeing. I hope.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 129 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Approach a Monologue in Acting
How to Cast Actors for a Play
How to Deal with Difficult Actors
How to Be a Theatre Director
How to Direct a Play
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...