A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Golf club sock  (Read 1821 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danielleknitshats
« on: February 29, 2004 05:54:50 PM »

http://home.nyc.rr.com/dfriedland/dknitty/daves_golf_sock.jpg

I found out that my cousin Lynne was throwing her husband Dave a surprise 40th birthday party and, having decided that I would REALLY try to make all of my gifts from now on, I endeavored to knit his gift. I thought, "what can I knit the man who has everything? What does my cousin like?" I've known Dave my whole life but I really don't know that much about him. "OK," I thought. "Dave is management at a roofing company, likes to do his own home enhancements (he built his deck, I think), refuses to eat leftovers, and golfs so much he got carpal tunnel from it." Well, I wasn't going to knit him a hat so I found a pattern for one of those golf club sock covers that I've mocked in the past.

It was quite easy- knit flat, you rib for a while, then you increase, work even, then decrease until you bind off. Stitch up the edges and voila. The two patterns I found included vague instructions for knitting some duplicate stitch numbers. I had no idea what those numbers stood for so I asked my golf-loving boss who told me but then I totally forgot what he said. I called Lynne and asked her to sneak a look at his golf bag to see if he had any covers with numbers. As he didn't, and as I had never done a duplicate stitch before, I chose the numero uno.

I used a skein of black Lopi yarn which I had originally bought to make a hat for my sister-in-law but it was too damn scratchy to be next to naked skin. In the future, I won't bother using 100% wool for something that doesn't need to be kept warm. A skein of $2 acrylic will do just fine. For a few rows, I added some leftover grey worsted weight yarn to the Lopi (rather than do a true stripe because it was too skinny compared to the Lopi).

Here is the pattern I used (http://www.yarnforward.com/golfclub.html) and here is another pattern that I didn't (http://www.mkdesigner.com/golf_covers.html. Neither had photos but at least the former was easier to understand. The latter was written out too confusingly. You'll see when you read the pattern.

Dave really liked it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 02:17:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bex
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004 07:16:32 PM »

What a great idea!  As a girlie golfer, I am so ready for the season to start...I may just have enough time to get a set for myself. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guys I've made an awesome new discovery! Blue and yellow mixed together makes an entirely different color... I'm gonna call it, BLELLOW!!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing Birds of Prey
Photographing Moorland Birds
Photographing Birds in Song
Attracting Birds to Your Garden
Setting up a Pond for Garden Bird Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...