A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Almost finished with my garden beds  (Read 4518 times)
Tags for this thread: garden , raised_bed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010 07:59:50 AM »

I, too, am seriously jealous of these, and your green thumb.  I have been trying to grow the past two years, first year was alright, but last year my veggies were attacked by neighborhood animals!  I'm thinking raised beds this year to help with that problem (hinged chicken wire on top?).  Do you have any animal troubles?  How do the raised beds fair??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010 08:57:21 AM »

We have feral cats, so I use chicken wire over top of my plants when they are new.  Otherwise the cats think they have found a great litterbox.

We have also been visited by raccoons, and sometimes the birds get my seeds.  I fixed the birds by feeding them all the seed they can handle in bird feeders.  The raccoons aren't a real problem yet.  Gophers will also burrow straight up through your beds, so watch for pushed up mounds in the bed.  I gave the gophers a gum ball to chew on.  Fixes that problem.  I know I'm probably going to hear from animal lovers about that one, but we have been told to trap them, which I feel is more inhumane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010 09:18:58 AM »

gumballs! LOLOL!  I have the same problem with critters...a couple of years ago my son and I worked really hard prepairing a place for a bunch of sunflowers. New house with cement hard pan...it was a lot of work. We planted the seeds...my son planted each of the little seeds..a lot of them. Next morning? they had been dug up...little holes everywhere he planted the seeds.  Needless to say he cried a river and I was hacked.

I don't know how to stop that one...the critters eat the stalks too!

My problem is I have such a small back yard that when something eats it...I don't have much back there anyway so essentially? It's gone.

Soooo frustrating and not sure how to fix it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010 10:29:53 AM »

Critters: TEXAS FIRE WATER! (hot sauce, cyan pepper mixed in spray bottle with water. Spray plants liberally) Also you can place cucumber slices in a pie pan and it will keep a lot of bugs a critters away. Google it. The cucumber reacts with the aluminum in the pie pan and gives off a scent they do not like.

Also I saw at Costco this weekend where they had kits for 8 raised plant beds. You could make shapes out of them with one circular shape in the middle or for tool storage. The kit was $299.00 not sure if this is a good deal or not but it looked very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010 10:43:48 AM »

I made fourteen beds for less than $50.  Of course, some of that was recycled lumber, but I think you could do better if you just bought the lumber and a box of screws.  It takes six 12 foot 2X6's with three feet cut off of each one of them and a single eight foot 2X4 to make a bed.

It's the soil that will cost you money.  It costs me $20 per yard and it takes 1.5 yards per bed.  That's why it has taken me four years to finish up this project.

We also have an issue with slugs here, but I wrapped my beds in copper wire, and it somehow messes with them, so they don't cross it.

I try not to put anything on my plants.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010 10:45:43 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010 11:03:46 AM »

I'll be definitely building my own...I'm way too cheap!  Grin  This weekend my hubby and I will be busy and I'll make sure to post before and after pics...Pinokeeo..I'm hoping to get your "impresser" going especially when you see the before!  Grin 
Unfortunately, our house is built on a hill with a rock wall and steep hill in the back so only access is from front to back, climbing a steep hill...with wheel barrel.  My beds won't be as tall  Cry cause the soil we hall will be in bags.  UGH! but it'll be worth it! I'm hoping to get two 6x3's and two 3x3's  not sure how tall they'll be yet ....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010 12:46:31 PM »

My beds are 16 1/2 inches high, only because I can't bend down for anything shorter.  There's no rule that says how high they should be.  They will be as high as you want them to be.  I know there are books and websites that say 18 inches, but that's just a suggestion. 

I'm sure I'll be totally impressed.  I love seeing other people growing food.  It's the only way we are going to survive this crazy world in the long run.

And make sure you grow what you really like.  Otherwise you are wasting your resources.  I had this thought about growing peas, and discovered that I'm not crazy about peas.  It was a waste of time for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010 05:19:58 PM »

All the same animals eat all my plants!!  I have to pick veggies seriously immature to save them, or the next time I go to check progress they are gone.  I have heard about the hot sauce or cayanne pepper sprays, but haven't tried them yet.  I am hoping for a more "structural" solution.  Hoping chicken wire helps, but don't want to impede growth.

Definitely inspired by the home-made beds.  I'm getting excited for planting season now, haha Smiley

PS...sorry to hear about the sunflowers Sad
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010 05:21:49 PM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010 05:01:35 PM »

What does everyone think of putting wheels on the planter beads. The big metal kind say from Restoration Hardware or IKEA. to move them around?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010 05:06:09 PM »

That would be ok if you put a bottom in your beds, or if you are willing to move a lot of dirt.

When my beds go down, I dig holes for the corners, so once installed they are permanent.  My beds are in full sun for the summer and I have a manifold soaker hose system, so I really don't want to move them.

I also have some things in pots so that I can move them around.  I do this because I'm never quite sure where I want things.  Some of my pots are very large and very heavy, so I use a hand truck to lift and move.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pom Pom Desk Topper
How to Make a Paper Lantern
How to Make a Craft Flying Bird
How to Make Your Own Valentine Cards
How to use etching powder on glass items
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...