A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap 33**Discussion Thread**  (Read 48922 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AsphaltQueen
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2009 01:23:55 PM »

freestyle (or anyone else), if you're interested in some quick and easy recipes, let me know. I've got a good one for a spinach feta pasta (you can't even taste the spinach), mexican chicken rice and orange chicken (not a chinese kind, you use orange juice and other goodies to bathe the chicken in when cooking). They're all one pot recipes and all are quick and easy prep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

racehorse87
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2009 01:26:10 PM »

I have 100% changed all of the items in my shop! I'm on an earring rampage right now.

In case anyone is interested in earrings (for themselves or for presents!), here are the links to check them out: Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2009 01:30:56 PM »

freestyle (or anyone else), if you're interested in some quick and easy recipes, let me know. I've got a good one for a spinach feta pasta (you can't even taste the spinach), mexican chicken rice and orange chicken (not a chinese kind, you use orange juice and other goodies to bathe the chicken in when cooking). They're all one pot recipes and all are quick and easy prep.

Yes please, quick and in one pot is my style of cooking!  I hate cooking for 1 too, I really wish Q would eat more of what we eat... (he is getting better, but we still make a lot of separate meals)... though I don't think I can have Feta atm :/  but I love some chicken!  I am always looking for easy recipes though, so feel free to send as many as you wish...
and now I am hungry.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2009 01:41:03 PM »

Quick + easy = yes please! I will take any quick and easy recipes I can get! (Side note- why is it impossible for me to correctly spell recipe without the spell checker?) Jeff and I don't get home until 6:30 or so and want to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen. Hence the Bertolli bags (which are really, really tasty but get quite old after you eat them multiple times a week for months).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2009 02:14:58 PM »

What exactly defines quick and easy?  I cook for one and almost never eat out (lots of leftovers for lunch).  I'd consider something like roast chicken to be quick and easy, because it takes almost no prep time, but there is a bit of cook time involved.

Today is extremely boring. I am waiting for some data to be available and reading about relative humidity in technical detail....yawn. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2009 02:42:41 PM »

What most people call quick-and-easy tends to be, for me, not-worth-all-the-effort-just-to-eat when I'm not doing well.  Smiley I don't even consider freezer food quick-and-easy sometimes! And then I live on trail mix.  Undecided But anyway, I'd love some of those relatively quick and easy recipes, especially for the spinach-feta pasta. It all sounds delicious, and fresh homemade food is so much better than the processed/frozen variety.

lxm - Photojojo has awesome, unusual camera stuff in their shop...but gamer geekery deserves crafting, IMHO.  Smiley

atsuko - do we (your STS family) get Christmas cards??  Pretty please? Grin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 02:48:08 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
AsphaltQueen
« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2009 03:07:51 PM »

Here are Greg and my favorite recipes. The spinach and feta pasta is the easiest. Orange chicken is next. Mexican chicken and rice is third easiest. And those are all pretty much "one pot" meals (maybe an occasional mixing bowl, but you can get by without it) and your prep time is about 15 minutes or less. The other three are tasty and don't take forever to prep or cook, but aren't as quick.

Lapoli, please don't think less of me for my crappy recipes and cooking. I listen to your podcasts every week and dream of the day that I am as motivated as you to cook from scratch. Will you please still be my friend?  Grin

Ptarmic, my problem is that in the summer after 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week, I don't want to cook. Not at all. Microwaving a frozen dinner even seems like trouble sometimes. (It sounds ridiculous, but unfortunately I'm serious.) In the winter, I'll cook, but I don't really enjoy cooking for the sake of cooking. I enjoy it when I'm eating it and I get pleasure out of cooking for other people, but I don't enjoy the act of cooking. I also need to expand my recipes. I haven't added any new recipes to my repertoire in about 2 years and I really only have about a dozen that I cook with any regularity. So, my idea of quick and easy is 15-20 minutes of prep time and less than an hour of cooking. So, yeah, if anyone has any crockpot recipes to share, I'm game!  Cheesy

Spinach & Feta Penne
Serves 2-3 people (depends on serving size)

Ingredients:
8 ounces penne pasta (pretty much any pasta works well)
2-3 cups chopped tomatoes (we especially like cherry tomatoes)
10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped (I go the easy way and get the prepackaged, prewashed BABY spinach - give it a rinse, chop and you're good to go)
8 ounces tomato basil feta cheese
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
optional: 1 clove garlic, minced

Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Put 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil in empty pot (I use the one the pasta was cooking in) and heat. Add tomatoes, spinach and garlic (if you use it). Cook and stir about 2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and mixture is thoroughly heated. Add pasta and cheese; cook about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add more olive oil if desired (we add lots and lots of olive oil to ours).

Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Serves about 4 people

Ingredients:
3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
2.5 cups crushed cornflakes
1 cup light sour cream
1 bag frozen broccoli florets

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Boil chicken until tender. Cut into small pieces.
3. In pot you used to cook chicken, combine chicken, soup, sour cream, broccoli and 2 cups of cornflakes. Mix well.
4. Pour mixture into 9x13 baking dish.
5. Sprinkle 0.5 cups of cornflakes on top.
6. Bake 1 hour

Orange Chicken
Serves 2
I usually serve this with canned green beans and instant mashed potatoes if we're in a rush.

Ingredients:
1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
0.5 teaspoon garlic powder
1 envelope (1 ounce) dry onion soup mix
2 chicken breasts

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In small bowl, mix orange juice, onion soup mix, soy sauce and garlic powder.
3. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place in 9x13 glass baking dish.
4. Pour orange juice mixture over chicken.
5. Bake uncovered for 60 minutes (or until chicken is fully cooked), basting every 20 minutes.

Mexican Chicken & Rice
Serves a lot (how's that for scientific!)

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken
1 can chicken broth
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 package powdered taco mix
1 can corn, drained
1.5 cups quick cook rice

Directions:
1. Cut chicken into small pieces and brown in oil.
2. Add broth, tomato sauce and taco mix; stir.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add corn and bring to a boil.
5. Stir in rice, cover and remove from heat.
6. Let stand for 5-7 minutes.
7. Stir and serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheddar (we like to put the chips on our plate, pile the rice/chicken onto the chips, and top with shredded cheddar)

Easy Italian Skillet - Kraft recipe
Serves a lot

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey (or lean beef)
1 jar (28 oz) spaghetti sauce
2 cups water
8 oz spaghetti, uncooked, broken in half (we love to use penne for this recipe, too)
1 cup shredded mozzarella
0.5 cup grated parmesan
chopped green pepper (optional)

Directions:
1. Brown turkey in large skillet; drain.
2. Stir in sauce and water; mix well. Bring to boil.
3. Stir in spaghetti.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover.
5. Simmer 15 minutes or until spaghetti is tender.
6. Sprinkle with cheeses and green pepper, if desired.
7. Cook 2 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melted.

Crescent Taco Bake - Pillsbury recipe
Serves 3-4 (though the recipe says 6, but that's only if you're serving it with sides)

Ingredients:
1 (8 oz) can refrigerated crescent rolls
1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
0.75 cup thick and chunky sala
2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar
shredded lettuce
diced tomato

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375.
2. Separate dough into 8 triangles and place in ungreased 10-inch pie pan or 9-inch square pan; press over bottom and up sides to form crust.
3. In large skillet, brown ground beef; drain.
4. Stir in salsa and taco seasoning mix; simmer 5 minutes.
5. Spoon meat mixture over bottom of crust lined pan; sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown and cheese is melted.
7. Serve topped with lettuce and tomato.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2009 03:13:33 PM »

LOL!!!! I have two best friends--my slow cooker and my freezer.  Between the two of them, I'll never go hungry.  I cook a lot on the weekends when I know I have extra time and often, during the week, I'll cook something in the slow cooker over night, put it in the fridge and reheat it for dinner.  (My slow cooker and I are not on a level of complete trust, so I won't leave it while I'm not at home to supervise.)

Cooking dinners every night is actually not very time consuming, I've found.  It really only takes some organization beforehand and 30 minutes every evening.  We rarely eat out!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 03:14:27 PM by lapoli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2009 05:01:46 PM »

When I was 14, my mother took a series of retail jobs that frequently involved closing (ie working all evening and getting home at 11 pm).  I was assigned the task of cooking dinner, and I do remember that it often took an inordinate amount of time, even when we used things like those dinner-in-a-jar sauce things that you could pour over frozen chicken breasts and simmer.  I'm thinking now that the issue was that I was trying to cook american-style dinners with the meat-veggie side-starch setup. Also, I used frozen stuff a lot and almost never pre-thawed it. In grad school I switched pretty much entirely to cooking asian, and most everything is relatively fast - most of the time is spent prepping/slicing, then the whole thing cooks in 10-20 minutes.  That and a rice cooker.

I like to make things taste as good as possible while being cheap, which means making my own curry paste (easy), using fresh seasonal vegetables, chicken thighs, etc. But, you can easily sub things to make it quicker - premade curry paste, those already-sliced meats, frozen veggie bits.  I shop a lot at asian markets and my staple items tend to be things like hot bean paste, coconut milk, and bamboo shoots. 

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can post up some of the faster/easier recipes.  Most of them require some non-american spices and whatnot, but they are really cheap at ethnic groceries and you are all set once you stock up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2009 06:07:14 PM »

Free, did I forget to tell you that they make all the new people hula? 

Most definitely Calluna!!  I'd love to send you a card!!  Smiley

Ooh, love the new topic!  FOOD!!  Thanks for your recipes AQ!!
Yes!  Ptarmic please post some faster/easier recipes.  I think Lana would like to eat something other than our boring food.  She is so into Asian flavors--loves those weird mushrooms in some Japanese soups, etc.  Whenever we eat out she always votes for Thai.  Smiley

We should make a STS cookbook!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Does American Design Compare European
Why Hire a Landscape Architect
How to Avoid the Worst Design Mistakes
Design for a Murphy stage fold up stage
The Future of Architectural Design
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...