A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 86
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap 33**Discussion Thread**  (Read 46778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009 11:31:15 PM »

I know we have a few spinners here so I thought I would throw this question out there. I bought some handspun on eBay when I just started crochet/knitting. I was looking at it the other day and started to unwind it and it started breaking in my hands. It has been wound into a centrepull ball so obviously it wasn't this damaged its whole life.

The breaks do seem to occur at bits where the yarn isn't particularly twisted. Would this be the problem? Or something else?

I actually have ten/twelve balls of this. I unwound one of the other balls a bit and it didn't break at all for several metres. Do I have to rewind all of it to see if its okay,

THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009 09:52:09 AM »

I'm assuming it's a single, not a plied yarn.  I'm going to guess they didn't add enough twist into the single when they were spinning it so it's got really weak spots that are just coming apart.  As for the best thing to do with it?  I'd be inclined to gently respin the yarn myself to catch any weak spots and add some twist into them.  Alternatively, plying two of the balls together to make a 2 ply yarn instead would give it strength too.  Of course, if you don't have a spindle or someway to do that, I'm not sure what the best way to handle it would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AsphaltQueen
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009 11:18:23 AM »

I just added 8 skeins of Encore yarn to my shop. Great yarn for your next worsted weight project! (And it's navy blue, so it's great for a guy's project, too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009 06:43:06 PM »

I'm assuming it's a single, not a plied yarn.  I'm going to guess they didn't add enough twist into the single when they were spinning it so it's got really weak spots that are just coming apart.  As for the best thing to do with it?  I'd be inclined to gently respin the yarn myself to catch any weak spots and add some twist into them.  Alternatively, plying two of the balls together to make a 2 ply yarn instead would give it strength too.  Of course, if you don't have a spindle or someway to do that, I'm not sure what the best way to handle it would be.
Agree 100% you can do it on a drop spindle too. Just put the balls in a bowl or mug to spin them together.
You can also ply them with a thread or something like that if that's handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loudxmouse
Tutorial Contributor

five-star astro navigatrix

In a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009 07:20:46 PM »

aw dang. that sucks about the yarn!
I would sent a message to the seller. I had a drop spindle fall apart that I got from a lady on ebay and she was quick to give me free shipping on my next order and a free 8oz of alpaca (basically doubling my next order from her....awesome)
if they don't want to help you out I would totally give them a neutral token, you didn't pay good money for crappy workmanship

*stops being a blowhard*

oh, and I hooked my laptop up with an HDMI cable to my boyf's HUGE tv so i am currently surfing craftster in a big way. WOOP!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009 07:22:33 PM by loudxmouse » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | sts spring Marketpinterest
Caught hexi-puff fever? PM to personal swap for sock weight yarn.
Would love to personal swap for MYB or spinning stuff too!
Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009 09:50:39 PM »

Its a bit late to pm the seller since I bought it a year ago. On the positive side, I counted and there are 12 balls of yarn, ten large and two smaller ones, one being the one which came apart. So, she may have just included the practice yarns. It was puzzling though, since the balls have definitely been wound on a ball winder or something and I can't imagine that that was easier on the yarn. I would have thought it would shred them.

I might have to try re-spinning as I don't really want really heavy yarn. I am on a shawl kick now. I have a lace "Faux Russian Stole" on the needles. I wanted to start something a little easier to do at night while watching TV. Clapotis, maybe.

Is respinning difficult?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009 07:51:53 AM »

I have spent some points and now I am OPEN!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009 08:16:25 AM »

I'm going to add the Holiday Shipping Deadlines for Canada and the United States to the first post of this thread for reference.

Canada

Letters/cards to the USA December 14      to Europe December 1
Air parcel to the USA       December 4         to Europe December 1
Xpresspost to the USA    December 14       to Europe December 7

USA

1st class  Domestic   December 21        Canada/Europe  December 11
Priority Domestic       December 21        Canada/Europe  December 14
Express Domestic     December 23         Canada/Europe  December 18/17
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009 08:16:42 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009 09:41:29 AM »

@ Sansa

It's not really difficult seeing as you don't have to draft the wool or anything.  However, in your situation I would do it pretty slowly because you don't really want to add too much additional twist to the parts that are already fine.  What I might suggest is winding the parts that are fine onto the spindle adding just a tiny amount of twist and then giving it more spin when you come to the weak spots.  The trick is going to be spotting where those weak spots are before they pull apart from the weight of the spindle.  Hope that makes sense!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009 10:22:15 AM »

I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The job I applied for back in June is finally to the interview stage and I made the cut!!! I'm so excited I'm shaking. Con call on the 18th. I am going to be ridiculously keyed up for the next 2 weeks.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 86 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Lorenzo Durán Brings Leaves Back to Life Through Art
Inmates in Ohio Enroll in a Crochet Program
A Man Builds a Dollhouse for His Daughter
How to Make Subway Art
Toilet Paper Roll Artwork
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...