A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Way of Herbs: An Herbalism Swap - The Gallery  (Read 5935 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009 02:29:49 AM »

There are some fabulous things here, I would love some recipies, particularly for the leaky lavender scrub and the four thieves vinegar
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009 06:03:54 AM »

For fabric softening, I would recommend trying soap nuts if you haven't already.  They are the fruit of the Sapindus mukorossi tree that contain saponin.  They are completely natural, hypoallergenic, and have not only cleansing properties but also therapeutic/medicinal, insecticidal, and anti-microbial.  They are versatile; you can make dishwasher liquid, shampoo, insect repellants and cleansers for indoor/outdoor plants, etc.   Regarding laundry, they can be used on delicate fabrics such as silks and woolens.  I love them!

For static, you can try hanging the synthetics to dry, they don't wrinkle, and dry you naturals like cotton (always hang-dry woolens).  Cottons don't generally get static so it will be nothing to worry about. 

Okay, I've got to poke in here and satisfy my curiosity about dryer sachets. Your lavender ones sound really nice, and probably leave just the right hint of lavender, but can they be made to do more? Commercial fabric softeners offer three things: they eliminate static cling in synthetic fibres, soften cotton and natural fibres, and unless they're unscented, perfume your clothes. Obviously natural lavender sachets will only add scent, although not at asthma-inducing intensity like most of the liquid and sheet abominations. Does anyone know of any herb or natural product that can be included in dryer sachets that will give either static-elimination or fibre-softening? I expect we're at the mercy of Procter & Gamble here, but it never hurts to ask.

Wulf

Great package!  I'm curious about these vinegar and laundry soap recipes also.  Ah, I'm wishing we would have included the recipe exchange now! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
amymisha
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009 06:05:24 AM »

Ohh....let me see if I can answer the many questions.....

Lavender...I have never tried it from seed. I inherited half of a really old plant from an abandoned plot  in my community garden and it is so old it over winters REALLY well. If you can find someone who is willing to part with part of a 3 year old or more plant, you're on your way!

Lemon balm grows like a weed for me..... that and the mint. Mint takes over if I am not careful....it is way aggressive. Again, I inherited my lemon balm at a perennial exchange a few years ago so my plant is a few years old and really well established. It thrives on neglect for me....

That book is one of my favorites.... It has oodles of recipes for basic stuff, and then lots of more intriguing things. I highly recommend it! Not sure if it has any specific recipes for dready care, but I believe they have a nice hair oil recipe for nourishing your scalp etc.

Dryer sachets....yep they mostly just scent stuff. They do have those weird dryer balls you can buy that reduce static without chemicals. I've never tried them. I just am veering far away from traditional dryer sheets, as they have so many chemicals, and animal products (!!Really!!!) in them. I have static cling issues even if I use them, so I don't mind not using them. I don't use them at all now, but like to have my linens and stuff smell yummy, and lavender is GREAT for linens....nice clean smell. I am sure you could use other herbs as well for different fragrances.

Glad it was well received. : )
A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amymisha
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009 06:07:29 AM »

Recipe for the leaky lavender scrub....
About 1 cup of Epsom salts
about 1 cup of sugar
about 1 cup of safflower oil (you can use olive oil too)
handful of lavender flowers
a few drops of essential oils
a little bit of coloring

Mix it all together. Boom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009 08:29:02 AM »

I thought about sending recipes with my package, too, but I lost my Desserts from an Herb Garden cookbook. Smiley I do have the Herbal Homespa Book & there are a lot of interesting recipes in there.  Some of the ingredients are more expensive or harder to find than the Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair book amymisha got me, though. 

I'm going to have to try the scrub when mine runs out.  Thanks!

I wouldn't mind the laundry detergent recipe, either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009 07:28:24 PM »

I've tried soapnut powder and found it just as effective as commercial laundry soap -- and a lot cheaper. Simply making washer-sachets of the whole nuts never occurred to me, but now that I've seen them for sale online, it seems very obvious. Static cling isn't really an issue for me either as just about everything I wash is cotton, linen or wool anyway, but that extra little bit of softnesss would be nice. Of course, the same chemicals that make your cottons fluffy also make them more flammable, so maybe we're better off without!

Wulf
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009 07:29:20 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rae-mazing

But it's better if you do.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009 08:50:09 AM »

I recieved from Jenna_Gayle yesterday, but waited until today to post pictures so I had some decent lighting! She really blew me away with this package, everything is so perfect and are things that I will really use. She's so getting another package in the mail, because mine doesnt even compare! *shame*

Oh, she also wrapped everything up so adorably, but I was so intent on seeing what everything was...that i forgot to take pictures. It was gorgeous though!

1) Chamomile is my most favorite herb, so she made me a little chamomile necklace so I can have some everywhere! It smells so fantastic.

2) Yummy fruit leather snacks. My fave! They didn't last very long. Smiley

3) Three herb sachets/pouches with chamomile, lavender, and patchouli. One for the dryer, one for my dresser, and one that I still need to find a place for. I love them! Apparently kitty did too.

4) Comfrey balm for scrapes, burns, etc. It has all sorts of goodies in it. And I've already used it, thanks to me being so accident prone.

5) Vanilla extract. I'm so excited to use this!

6) A woodburned and painted protective/hex charm to hang in the house. It's completely beautiful and the colors are perfect.

7) A Yule gift! ( that I couldnt wait to open. lol) This is such a great idea.

Thank you so much, Jenna! Keep an eye on your mailbox. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I always need fabric, findings/notions, and cute handmade things!

www.wastedwishes.et sy.com

www.wastedwishes.bl ogspot.com
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009 12:01:56 PM »

Rae, what an amazing package! Everything is fantastic ... I wonder if Jenna-Gayle would mind sharing the comfrey balm recipe with us. The kids and I are accident prone too LOL 

Here is the link for the four thieves vinegar: http://tinyurl.com/yfo4ozc

Link to cleaning recipes for vinegar: http://tinyurl.com/yf6hx4n

Link to the laundry detergent recipes, there are 10 different recipes! http://tinyurl.com/2aofss

Enjoy everyone! I also did some research on soapnuts, man those things sound fantastic. I looked for the most economical place to buy some to try, and so far it's Mountain Rose Herbs for the win ... $6.00 a pound. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/s.html

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
amymisha
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009 06:33:51 AM »

Sorry...tried to post last night and got crazy frustrated....

I got my package!!! The whole box smells heavenly!

I got...... a lavender eye pillow.....

A BUNCH of great looking teas! (I'm so excited about these...)

Two beautifully scented trivets. I now need to cook so I can set hot pans on them. They smell soooooo good....

An issue of Herb Companion. It is currently residing on my pillow, but I keep falling asleep before I get to read any articles. Can't wait, though!!!

And an aloe baby! Who survived, even though it is COLD here. I am going to get him all snuggled up in a little pot tonight.... she's so cute! I've named her Charley. : )

And...from one I understand there's another little bit coming.... I hope it's there when I get home from work today!

Fun swap! Thank you!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009 01:49:47 PM »

I'm so glad you like everything, Rae, and that all that glass actually made the trip!!!  

Solitaire-  I'll get that recipe to ya here soon... I can tell you what it says and then you'll need to put your own judgement into it as I tweaked it both times I made it!   Cheesy  I can tell you that if you're planning on doing it, you need to go ahead and get your comfrey soaking in olive oil (I'm sure you can use another oil, but that's what I put in mine)  Get an ounce of comfrey root and place into a canning jar.  Cover with olive oil and put it in a hot/southern window (I realize this is impossible for some at this time so just put it in a warm place!).  Shake it good everyday for a few weeks.... stay tuned for the rest!

This is my jar from the first round I tried this summer.  It's in a half pint jar.

Oh, and be sure that there are absolutely no pieces of the herb in the seal of the jar. See that rag under it?  Yea, it will leak during shaking!

Scented trivets?!?  That is the most awesome idea I have ever heard of!!!   Grin  LOVE it!!!

Annnnd I forgot my camera cord today, so hopefully I will get those missing pictures up tomorrow!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009 01:52:23 PM by Jenna_Gayle - Reason: add jar size » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Setting Up the HTML File for Export
Extreme Website Makeover - Renaming the Slices
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding More Slices to the Web Page
Extreme Website Makeover - Exporting from Fireworks into Dreamweaver®
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with the Selection Tool
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...