A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Gifts for Dad & Father-in-law  (Read 5153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trickygirlb
« on: November 25, 2009 05:33:58 PM »

I can't believe I am done with all of my gifts and it isn't even Thanksgiving, Woo-hoo!  There are a lot more great gifts that I have made, that I will post after Christmas, mainly because I don't want family members to know what I made them.  I think I am safe with posting these gifts I made for my Dad & Father-in-law.  I am pretty sure they don't read my blog.

Now that my dad is retired he has really wanted to start writing, but I think it is a lot harder when you are staring at a computer screen (not very inspiring), so I made him this leather bound journal so that he can take it with him and write whenever inspiration strikes.

It is filled with 200 blank pages.  I bound the book following and improvising instructions from the Dad Can Do site on bookbinding.  http://www.dadcando.com/default_MAKING.asp?project=BookBinding&catagory=Craft&lhs=Craft
I hope my improvising holds up.

My Father-in-law is an avid golfer, so for him I made him a leather bound golf journal.
His journal was slightly smaller with only 50 pages, giving him 100 logs.  I figured 100 games was more than enough for a golf log, then again I am not a golfer and it may not be. In any case I think it will suffice.

I should probably add that the leather used is actually older than me.  It was my father's scrap book that had fallen apart.  I used the front cover leather for his journal and the back leather piece I dyed and used for my father-in-law's journal.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009 05:38:41 PM by trickygirlb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Casey1201
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009 05:43:05 PM »

Those turned out really great! I know I would love to receive something done so beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
ragdoll193
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009 06:26:54 PM »

those look awesome, and with such attention to personal interests!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009 07:05:44 AM »

These are amazing!  I love seeing other people's leather work, and these turned out very well.  Aged leather!  Gotta love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

notanotherxerox
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009 02:53:28 PM »

These are beautiful! You did a wonderful job:) Does anyone know if its possible to make designs like the first one on pleather? How are the designs done? I'm vegan and have never worked with leather so I know nothing about it. Thanks for your time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
ragdoll193
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009 03:56:47 PM »

the designs are done on wet/damp leather, that's what allows it to be tooled. I highly doubt that pleather would work, since it is pretty much plastic, which doesn't lend itself to being smooshed, then sticking that way Smiley

I do not know of a vegan alternative myself, but I would love to know of one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
PureOath
Raconteur Extraordinare

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009 06:58:19 PM »

Those are absolutely gorgeous. I may have to try with an old purse I've been meaning to do something with. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am looking to do a personal swap with (or will outright pay for) a knitter who could make an adult sized knitted t-rex sweater for Christmas. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Bagels With Three Fillings
How to Cook Jambalaya
How to Cook Salt Beef
How to Bake Homemade Bagels
How to Do Homemade Delicious Hamburger
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...