A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Love steampunk military jacket is there a way to make one?  (Read 820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnimeDYIer
« on: November 25, 2009 02:14:49 PM »

Alright I saw this jacket: http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/RakishBelleCollection/Lip-Service-Black-Steampunk-Military-Jacket-283036.jsp but its soooooo expensive

But I'm not that great a sewer

so which is cheaper make or buy?
are there any tutorials on how to make one?
any advice?

I really am undeceive about the whole thing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009 06:12:13 PM »

You could alter pretty much any princess-seamed jacket into this shape, but if you want really, really close, I'd say use the top half of view B of V8301:

http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8301.htm?tab=list/out_of_print/jackets_coats&page=all

and the bottom half of V8601:

http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8601.htm?tab=list/jackets_coats&page=all

To save money on pattern costs, you could start with V8601 and just alter the closure part. The rest is in the finishing and embellishments.

As for easy? Um, not really. I started on V8301 last year and still haven't finished it. ARG. There's also the fact that the materials and the pattern came out to around $40 (denim, lining, pleather for piping, cord for the piping, zipper, thread, covered-button kits; you could get away with just a shell fabric, closures, and buttons, though). Vogue patterns are REALLY well drafted, too, so if you make a test-garment first and get it to fit perfectly, your final garment will be spectacular.

So it's really up to you and your confidence in your skills. You'll have to be willing to go slow, make a test-garment, double check EVERYTHING as you do it, etc, etc. If this is something that you really want right now, as opposed to going through the wonderful learning experience of making a jacket *cringes at own irony* you may just want to beg for it as a Christmas gift ($54 is alot for a jacket, but if you can find out how well it's constructed by seeing it at the store, it may actually be worth it). I don't mean to put you off, cuz I know how satisfying it is to complete a difficult sewing project, but you may want to get more practice before tackling something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Light in Portraits
The Five Visual Draws
Doug Jaeger on How Photography Passion Plays Into Creative Career
OneMore
PlayItAgain
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...