A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Actvities for christmas day?  (Read 606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FoxInDocs
« on: November 24, 2009 11:57:43 PM »

So, not so much craft related as such, but i couldn't think of anywhere else with so many Christmas-ey people in one place...

So the deal is, it's our second Christmas as a couple and our first since we got married two months ago, Hubby's family are going away with friends for Christmas, and most of my family are working, so we're having our Christmas's with them on other days, and we're going to be all by ourselves for Christmas day!

So I'm looking for some ideas as to what we can do to amuse ourselves and make the day special.

We're in Australia, so it's right in the middle of summer, we're not religious, and we're usually into things that are a little alternative... We live in Adelaide which is not a *big* city so most things are closed on Christmas day... maybe 50% of pubs/hotels, and 24/7 service/gas stations are open, and that's about it.....

any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Foxie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
witchcrafty
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009 06:32:32 AM »

If you're close to a beach, why not make a picnic and enjoy? You could make sand men instead of snow men, or make a sand Christmas tree complete with starfish and shell decorations. Take pictures and make a scrapbook for friends/family.

You could also pick up shells for the Christmas tree and decorate them. One year my family had everything in storage and we basically had no money for presents. We got a cheap tree and decorated it with wrapping paper ornaments and it is one of my favorite Christmas memories.

Since you guys are newlyweds, maybe try something new together, like learn to make sushi, get a wine tasting kit, or something fun like that.

Or if you cook, why not make a special brunch for you too, spend the day in your PJs and rent a bunch of movies in one genre like kung fu, or one director, ect. Make it special to both of you!

Good luck and happy holidays!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009 06:42:01 AM by witchcrafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

From handmaiden to handmade.
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009 12:31:33 PM »

You can also try out new board games, card games, and charades-type games.  I know it isn't nearly as much fun with only two people, but it can be.

I also like the idea of a beach picnic.  Or a trip to the mountains, if there's anything nearby. 

If you want to do something charity-wise, you can always volunteer for a few hours to help serve Christmas dinner to those less fortunate.  My sister does this every year, and she says it's very rewarding.

You could also invite friends who also have no other plans.  That's what we do.  We invite anybody who is "orphaned" for the day.  It makes a very interesting day, with so many different types of people together. 

Do a round robin santa switch, where you each have a non-gender specific gift.  Person number one picks a gift at random and opens it.  Person number two has the option of "stealing" the opened gift, or opening another one.  It goes around the room until all the presents are open.  Then person number one has the option of keeping his or her original gift, or "stealing" from anyone in the room.  It can be fun.

Have a Happy Holiday, whatever you decide to do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 1
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 2
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 3
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 4
How to Cook Louisiana BBQ Shrimp Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...