A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT!! Grown up Barbie clutch!  (Read 6772 times)
Tags for this thread: clutch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009 06:49:02 AM »

I think this is such a thoughtful gift idea!  So cute!  And STYLISH!  Who knew, 80's Barbie was ahead of her time  Wink

Girlfriend, let me tell you, Barbie was hip in the 70's, because I also had one of these back in the day!  Truth be known, Barbie's clutch was probably around before then, too!  Grin

Very cute and very thoughtful gift.  You are a lovely sister.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009 07:43:06 AM by jennyleigh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009 10:00:48 AM »

This is really cute, but I have to admit I was kind of disappointed that the big one didn't have the quilted diamond pattern of the tiny original.  I think this would have made it over-the-top awesome.  If I saw the one you made just out and about, I would think it was cute, but if I saw the one you made and it was quilted, I would have recognised it immediately as the Barbie clutch.  I do like the idea of the removeable pearl pin.  Maybe you could find a nice big pearl earring at a dollar store or thrift store you could recon!

I have extra fabric from it, I should really try a quilted one. I have an old sewing machine with one presser foot so I was glad I was able to get this part done! lol. Smiley I don't know if my presser foot will glide over the vinyl though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_naked_doll
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009 02:42:16 PM »

I used to fight for the gold clutch, too. I love this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm told my Native American name would be Giggles-With-Fervor.

http://megsraggededge.etsy.com

BLOG ! http://megsraggededge.blogspot.com
Dreamy_Cat
Follower of Dreams

Please don't wake me past noon.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009 06:42:34 PM »

when I saw the pic of the barbie clutch on the "hot new topics" list, I knew exactly what it was! I had one of those for my dolls growing up too!  Smiley Your recreation is awesome and I really like the idea of a removable pearl pin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
-Edgar Allen Poe
lizefd
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009 07:08:02 PM »

I remember that clutch.  I think it was Barbie but I am not positive.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MiLady
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009 06:58:52 AM »

I feel quite dissappointed that I did not have a barbie clutch as a child, I really feel I missed out here! My first barbie (or Bardy as I called it then) was given to me in 1990 and she had an amazing maribu white glittery dress and tiara. Unfortunately my mother sold all my barbies in a car boot sale. I so want one of these "grown-up" barbie clutches though, how amazing would that be on a night out!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009 08:03:19 AM »

One way to sew over vinyl is to use tissue paper between it and the presser foot and then tear it away when you're done.  Of course, with quilting that might make for hours of picking tiny bits of tissue out from under your stitches, so be warned.  I'm lucky to have picked up a Tephlon foot for my machine with a gift certificate, because I love making things out of vinyl and they're expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

destiny7877
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009 11:12:28 AM »

Love it. Thats a great gift idea. If only I could make a clutch looking that good for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whimsy10510
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009 12:43:29 PM »

I HAD THAT CLUTCH!!! your version looks GREAT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009 05:26:55 PM »

One way to sew over vinyl is to use tissue paper between it and the presser foot and then tear it away when you're done.  Of course, with quilting that might make for hours of picking tiny bits of tissue out from under your stitches, so be warned.  I'm lucky to have picked up a Tephlon foot for my machine with a gift certificate, because I love making things out of vinyl and they're expensive.

Ooohh... thanks for the tip! I have a 1969 Singer and it only has one presser foot that's really good only for cotton. It presses too hard for jersey and it doesn't move at all over vinyl or pleather. I'll definitely have to try the tissue paper. Presser feet are so expensive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Back Stitch
How to Wrap a Difficult Item
How to Choose Collage Materials
How to Choose Cross Stitch Materials
How to Do a Hem Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...