A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT!! Grown up Barbie clutch!  (Read 7137 times)
Tags for this thread: clutch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 24, 2009 03:44:05 PM »

I must say my sister is probably the most amazing person I know. She has went through hell these past few months and is now getting on her feet. I wanted to do something awesome for her this Christmas and around Halloween I found the fabric that I needed to finally complete the object she truly desired: the gold Barbie clutch. Now I don't know if this is an actual Barbie thing because we had a lot of handmade barbie stuff growing up. We had this gold clutch for our Barbie that my sister coveted. Her barbie always carried it around and she constantly fought for it when we played. We came across the barbie clutch going through toys and she wanted one for herself. Well, we could never find the right gold vinyl to do it. I finally found the fabric at JoAnns and freehanded an envelope style clutch pattern. I practiced using denim (another clutch she'll get) then did hers and I'm so proud of the result. I left off the pearl because I didn't want to date it too much. I may just make a pearl pin that she can add or subtract to her liking.

Close up of Barbie clutch:

End result:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009 04:02:14 PM »

That came out perfect! I think A pin would be a great idea as you said then if you want you can use it or not.

I'm not sure if the original is barbie or not but we had one too and my sister also loved it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Indiana
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009 04:04:35 PM »

Very cool. I'm sure she will love it. That Barbie clutch must have been a Barbie item as I have two of them in my collection, one exactly the same as yours and one in silver as as far as I can remember, all my Barbie accessories were real Barbie stuff.
Good job with the clutch, it looks great and I really like your idea of making a pin-on pearl. Maybe you could even make some other pins to go along with it, with sparkly gems on or something?
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009 04:06:03 PM »

I had one of these little gold purses for my Barbie too.  I recognized it from the thumbnail on the front page.  LOVE your gold clutch!  I also like the idea of the removable pearl pin.  

Your sister is a lucky lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
amusedcreations
I just wanna craft and watch Antiques Roadshow

Random memory attack!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009 04:19:40 PM »

Thanks everyone! I couldn't remember if it was a barbie thing. My mom worked at a non-profit factory where they taught handicapped people to make things and they made us a lot of barbie clothing. I couldn't help but text her a picture of the purse and she was so excited! lol. I'm bad about keeping secrets and surprising. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009 04:32:56 PM »

I had one in silver and black, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckyheartscrafting
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009 04:46:41 PM »

I think this is such a thoughtful gift idea!  So cute!  And STYLISH!  Who knew, 80's Barbie was ahead of her time  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahknits
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009 05:09:46 PM »

OMG! Nostalgia!! I also had a ton of those little Barbie purses in several colors. I think mine were mostly hand-me-downs from my Mom's Barbie stuff. What a fabulous idea!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009 08:18:13 PM »

I had a silver and a hotpink barbie clutch like that, so cool!
maybe with the vinyl, a magnetic attachment would be cool instead of a pin which would leave stabby holes in it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009 08:34:25 PM »

That's so fantastic!  I think the pearl would be a fantastic addition and think it's great you're considering doing it as an optional bit.  Your sister is going to come out of her year of hell looking sharp and walking proud with your super thoughtful creation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 3
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 4
How to do a Graduated Bob with Shattered Layer - Part 1
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 2
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...