A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has Anyone Done This Before?  (Read 1130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shuko
« on: November 24, 2009 01:04:41 PM »

Okay. I have this idea for a project, and it's very large by my standards (36,000 stitches), but I can't seem to find any really helpful sources or testimonies online of people who've tried the same thing I want to. Here's what I want to do:

I want to do a counted beaded picture (I'm not even sure if that's the right terminology, since I can't verify that either), where I used Aida cross stitch cloth as a guide for sewing on size 11/0 Toho round seed beads (they're about 1.8mm across and 1.3mm thick). Essentially, what I'll be doing is what's in this picture (please bear with me, since I slapped it together in MSPaint in a few minutes, lol):

I'll be using invisible thread to stitch a bead on each square, making rows and columns of diagonally-positioned beads, rather than crossed floss stitches. What I want to know is, has anyone done this? I know people incorporate beads into cross stitch all the time as accents or substitutions for French knots, but what about for total coverage? If so, do you have any tips you can share with me? I also have a few specific questions:

1. For the size beads I'm using, what would be the best size aida cloth to achieve maximum coverage without things getting too crowded? For example, I've got some 18 count cloth at the house already, and I've done some figuring that tells me that each diagonal on a single square of that fabric is about 2mm long. That should be just enough room, shouldn't it?

2. For a project like this, would the rounded beads be better, since they fill up the squares more, or would the cylinder ones be better, because they're more uniform in shape and line up better?

I hope someone can help me. I hate to think I'm doing the pioneer thing here. ^^; I never was a good tester, and I never think of all the problems I can have beforehand!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want to measure the worth of a man, simply measure how far he will go toward helping those who can do nothing for him.
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009 01:54:55 PM »

There are some huge historical pieces of full bead embroideries that are made by the same concept, so you're not completely pioneering Smiley They'll usually have been made on linen though if I'm not mistaken. Getting aida vs bead size right I'm not sure about though, all I can say is: make sure your beads are fairly even! I've experienced that beads I thought were the same turned out to be just slightly off between two colors, and everything got rather askewed when working over a larger field. (that was while weaving though)
If you already have the aida, nothing beats doing a swatch.

I think this site had some references, mentioning it as "beadpoint"
http://www.beadingdaily.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/04/03/bead-a-needlepoint-journal-cover.aspx

Another site had this to say:
# #14 white needlepoint canvas for use with 11/0 seed beads, both Czech & Japanese; OR
# #16 white needlepoint canvas for use with Delica beads; OR
# #18 white needlepoint canvas for use with 15/0 Japanese seed beads

and then finally I found this heh
http://www.beadseast.com/beadpoint.pdf
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009 01:59:03 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
stargardener
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009 06:33:48 PM »

Oooh I am intrigued!  I can't wait to see this!  I have one suggestion.  Like the previous post says about bead color...think of it like pain color.  If you are covering a large area and know you will be using lots of packs of the same color and can't find it in bulk...buy all you need and mix them so if there is variation it become less noticable over the whole work rather than at one side of the work than the other...I hope that helps. a little even!  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009 07:08:23 PM »

That sounds like an epically awesome project! 
I've heard of that type of beaded stiching being called "Beadpoint" (it looks awesome when it is done, a sample once caught my eye at a bead store back in NH). 

Here's a site with a little bit of info on the seed bead size vs the type of canvass recommended to use.  It's that interlock stuff that is different than aida, but I know it works on aida too.   
http://www.beadseast.com/beadpoint.pdf

Mill Hill Beads often have little patterns that include beading as part of the stitching- sort of what you are talking about but with the corresponding color rather than clear thread.  It looks really neat and adds a nice depth to the stitching.  I made one for my mom a few years ago:

It's sort of hard to see in the picture, as my mother took it for me after I gave it to her, but there are some highlights with beads in the water, tree, chairs, and a few other things.  I think that was done on 14 count perforated paper.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!  I LOVE stitching with beads and just haven't gotten around to doing a beadpoint instead of cross stitch since I moved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Witch Mask
How to Make a Paper Plate Mask
How to Make a Plague Doctor Mask
How to Make Paper Masks
How to Start Your Own Scrapbook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...