A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nursery that isn't cutesy and doesn't suck.  (Read 1651 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Arianette
*Wrecklessly weilding hot glue guns*

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2009 10:33:05 AM »

So I'm pregnant. One of the things I am thinking about is how to decorate the nursery. Unfortunately I hate cutesy stuff. I don't want my baby living in a Noah's Ark, alphabet, polka dot and pastel hell. I want the nursery to be awesome, not cutesy. I don't know the sex yet, but I was hoping someone had ideas. I haven't been able to find a single website that caters to this type of thing. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009 09:11:30 AM »

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ - That site has lots of non-cutesy nurseries described in it.

Really, I'd suggest going out and finding a photograph, a print, something to serve as an inspiration colour and/or form wise, and then build off of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009 09:02:18 AM »

So I guess we don't know what you really want, but we do know what you don't want.

Colors you love?

Styles of furniture you like?

Size of room?

Budget?

These would all help in zeroing in on helping you.

Congrats on your new adventure!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arianette
*Wrecklessly weilding hot glue guns*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009 06:25:58 PM »

Excellent point.

For decorating my own home, I usually go for an Anthropologie style shabby chic, mixed with more dark colors rather than pastels. I love browns, greens, neutrals and the like. I'm a nut for leaves and trees. If I could paint the walls, it would really help. Unfortunately, I rent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Charles M
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009 11:33:32 AM »

I like fabrics that feel a little nostalgiac- and take me back to my childhood (1970s).

charles
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009 01:43:35 PM by rackycoo - Reason: to comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.draperyrow.com
Tasty, Trendy, Fabrics
Ardee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009 10:58:41 AM »

If you couldn't paint the wall, then I recommend putting stickers on the wall or a lots of frames of trees and green stuffs. I realize that green might be a good concept for your baby's bedroom since that color is uni-sexual.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymnotte
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010 07:51:22 PM »

I was thinking about nursery decor not too long ago, not sure why because I'm not pregnant or even trying. Guess my clock is ticking?  One idea I thought might be really great is peacock themed room (probably more for a girl) using bright jewel toned colors. It was be so colorful and fun as a childs room but not typical and cutesy.

If you like greens and neutrals, and since green is pretty gender neutral maybe you could go with a "tree of life" theme.  You could add in animals but they don't have to be cutesy. I had a friend who cut out birds from those sheets of craft foam, I don't know if you know what I'm taking about, and she took tiny nails and put them up all over her walls.  You could even use double sided tape I'm sure.  But you could make up a trunk, leaves, birds, owls, rabbits, deer, squirrels, frogs, insects, whatever and do a large scene/motif over one whole wall. It'll make a really interesting wall without painting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sylverstarz17
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010 12:19:35 PM »

I'm working on the nursery for our first and I know exactly how you feel! I was pretty quick to pick out a color scheme after we found out we were expecting since I knew I wanted to keep it pretty gender neutral. I HATE all the bright primary baby color stuff because it just clashes so much with our tastes and am not a fan of the whole blue/boy pink/girl thing. So we decided on a brown/khaki/green color scheme and everything fell in place from there.

The one thing that I can suggest is to start looking around for that 'one thing' that you just have to have in the baby's room, whether its a bedding that you fall in love with, a piece of artwork, ect and build off of that. For me, the first thing I ever bought for the baby was a quilt kit from Joann's thats chocolate brown and sage green and the main fabric print is Michael Miller's kids toile. It's got a vintage feel but not too baby. I loved that one fabric so much that I searched all over the internet until I found somewhere I could order it and picked up several more yards to incorporate into curtains and cushions for the rocker and even some small artwork pieces. It's basically become the 'theme' for the room without being too screamingly obvious.

I have a friend who just finished setting up her daughter's 'new' nursery (they just moved her to another room in the house) and she went with a shabby chic type feel with bright coral, black, and white. She went and got some pictures of her daughter blown up in black and white and framed that as the main center piece on the walls and all the accessories are black, white, or coral. She was inspired because of a chandelier that she found that she is determined to eventually be able to buy for the room.

As far as sites for inspiration, I second ohdeedoh.com. You can also check out the galleries on http://projectnursery.com/   and http://www.creative-baby-nursery-rooms.com/. They also have a category for nurseries on the HGTV Rate My Space site http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Nurseries/gallery.esi. Of course all of these sites are going to have some 'cutesy' nurseries as well but I've noticed that a lot of people are tending towards more clean line 'mature' feeling baby rooms recently so you should definitely be able to find some inspiration somewhere in there.

Hope that helps!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwitch
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011 07:02:16 PM »

We didn't really do any theme in our first son's room.  We decorated in bamboo and emerald green.  Don't think nursery.  Most kids are done with the baby stuff in a few short years and most of the cutesy animals etc get old very quickly. 
Think about what would make a fabulous room.  Do you have a favorite picture you can scheme around?  A favorite music or book?  Stuff you already own and love that you can move into the room for a few years?
Our inspiration piece was a samuri sword.  Yeah, for the babies room but my now ex loved it and it was a beautiful color.
You care far more than your baby will for years so make it a room you love with some lasting basics that will go with whatever changes you have to make in the future.  Kids tastes drastically evolve every two years or so anyway so I wouldn't do a theme room.  Just add a few accents that really set the tone and that are easy to change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Julie Sarkissian on Her Lead Character From Dear Lucy
Sabin Willett on the Inspiration Behind Abide With Me
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Better Sleep
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips For Improving Your Sex Life
The Hormone Cure: Easy Tips for Reducing Stress
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...