A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,888
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making yr own knitting needles?  (Read 3839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simone
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2003 09:09:48 PM »

Hi all,
This isn't technically a knitting project. . . but it's definitely knitting-related. I'm wondering if anyone has tried making their own knitting needles. I've seen this site:

http://www.littlecabbage.com/diy/needles.html

And it seems pretty easy. . . . I like the idea of giving them as gifts esp. to non-knitters and making up a little how-to kit (w/ simple instructions and some practice yarn). It's cheap and very thoughtful. . . but I'm just wondering if it's actually pleasant to knit with these kinds of needles. I like bamboo needles, but I think I'm in the minority because I actually prefer metal needles. Anyone got any experience with this?
Thanks,
Simone
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:00 PM by 1062345600 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*chickadeesimone.livejournal.com* www.chick-a-dee.com * www.bazaarbizaare.org * www.magpie-store.com*
galatea

I know how to make a handle for a duck's nest!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003 03:32:05 PM »

I tried to follow your link, but was not able to...  kept coming up "Cannot find page".  :-/  

When I messed around with making my own bamboo knitting needles before, they looked really pretty, but the points never seemed to be smooth enough, and would sometimes catch the yarn.  I eventually covered the tips with glue and tissue paper, and then laquered the whole thing pretty heavily.  They didn't catch after that.
creatingme
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003 05:25:21 AM »

I made needles like these but I didn't paint them and I didn't even sand them.  I just used a pencil sharpener on one end then I put Burt's Bees hand salve on the tip which the wood absorded.  Then I used a wood craft ball, drilled a little into it with the a drill bit a little bigger than the dowel and put wood glue in the the hole and put the dowel rod in it.  I have also seen people use Fimo clay (the kind that you bake to make hard) make a little ball then put the dowel to make the  hole and then bake it.   I made a chunky scarf using these, they worked well but I wouldn't suggest them for any complex projects. Wink
creatingme
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003 05:59:26 AM »

Oh and here's a link to quidnunc.org's version of these needles

http://quidnunc.org/needles.html
me

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003 06:57:22 AM »

Simone wrote:
----------------------------------
And it seems pretty easy. . . . I like the idea of giving them as gifts esp. to non-knitters and making up a little how-to kit (w/ simple instructions and some practice yarn). It's cheap and very thoughtful. . . but I'm just wondering if it's actually pleasant to knit with these kinds of needles. I like bamboo needles, but I think I'm in the minority because I actually prefer metal needles. Anyone got any experience with this?
-----------------------------------

I prefer slick metal needles, too, but for teaching someone to knit, you might have more luck using something a little "sticky," so that beginners won't lose stitches as easily...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happycabbage
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003 02:51:53 PM »

I just learned to knit a week ago with chopsticks. And it was/is taking forever! So I needed something bigger and couldnt wait. Found a broken plastic coat hanger and made needles from it. Just scored it with an exacto and broke it into two pieces. And this is where a bench griner came in handy to make nice points.  Im happy. But then, I havent used real needles since I was a little girl. Hmm...

Why are those ends of needles anyway? Just to keep your work on?

Jessica
Im new...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i dont have a signature.....
WrdyGrrl

Actually, I'm a polymath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003 09:19:41 PM »

Yeah - the ends keep your work from falling off into the great unknown-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to use Black Wrap on a Film Set
How to use Kino Flo Lights
How to Record Sound Properly with Microphones
How to Record Proper Sound Levels
How to Use a Dolly Zoom
Latest Blog Articles
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...