A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy-Peasy Oven-Free S'mores Pie  (Read 1881 times)
Tags for this thread: pie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2009 07:51:33 AM »

Hi ho, Kermit the Frog here (OK, maybe not...)!  I'm a crochet board nerd and a cooking board lurker, and finally decided it's time to do a little pie proselytizing.  This particular recipe is one I worked up a few summers ago, as a summertime surprise for my Australian then-boyfriend.  Apparently Australia hasn't discovered the wholesome, squishy deliciousness that is s'mores-- can't imagine why a continent threatened by raging wildfires wouldn't embrace that one...  Thankfully, things are a little moister here in the Pacific Northwest, so we've indoctrinated him quite thoroughly.  In honor of his poor deprived Aussie brethren, however, I give you the no-bake outback friendly s'mores pie.

Buy this:

* Pre-made graham cracker crust
    * 1 pkg. chocolate Jell-O Cook & Serve Pudding (4-serving size)
    * 1/2 tub of Cool Whip
    * 1 c. mini marshmallows
    * 1 regular size Hershey bar

Do this:

* Prepare pudding as directed on package, stirring constantly.
    * Once pudding begins to thicken in saucepan, stir in Cool Whip.  Continue to stir until Cool Whip has melted completely.
    * Carefully pour pudding into pre-made crust.
    * Sprinkle marshmallows across top of pudding.
    * Place pie in the refrigerator and allow to chill for 30-45 minutes.
    * Remove pie from refrigerator and press chunks of the Hershey bar into the surface.
    * Replace pie in refrigerator and allow to chill for 2 hours.

As a former teacher-in-training, I feel almost preternaturally compelled to explain my choices in putting this little puppy together.  In fact, it kind of bothers me to give such bare-bones directions without immediately describing at length why a person would want to buy or do these things.  So, here are the footnotes, in all their transparent glory!

The first important question is the issue of crust.  I think a graham cracker crust really just makes sense for this pie, since graham cracker flavor belongs in s'mores.  What's unusual, though, is my endorsement of pre-made crusts.  Under most circumstances, pre-made pie crusts are really not my cup of tea; they send the tacit message that the eater need only enjoy the filling, and that the crust really only exists as a formality.  Now, I'm a girl who loves my filling, but to me, the best part about pie is the interplay of filling and crust-- an interplay that loses depth and nuance when you rely on clunky pre-made dough.  However, crumble crusts are my big exception to this pickiness.  I honestly think pre-made crumble crusts taste exactly the same as handmade ones, and they're a hell of a lot less work for those of us without food processors.

Next up is the Jell-O pudding-- this one is deeply negotiable to me.  If I were better-versed in pudding (and less lazy), I might consider doing this from scratch, but the Cook & Serve variety is pretty darn good.  I think the instant variety tastes a little wonky and the consistency isn't as satisfying, plus Cook & Serve is not exactly a huge step up as far as preparation complexity is concerned.  I cut in half a tub of Cool Whip to lighten the filling up a bit, as well as to take up a bit more space inside the pie crust.  If you dig a richer, more chocolatey pie, you could just as easily make 2 packages of filling and leave out the Cool Whip.

Also, it is mandatory that you pronounce "Cool Whip" like this.

Last note of importance is one of explanation: why wait to add the chunks of chocolate?  This was a trial-and-error discovery.  If you break up your Hershey bar and press in the chocolate while the pudding is still hot, the chocolate chunks melt and start looking all zombie-fied, instead of looking clean and crisp.  More than anything, it's aesthetic, but taste-wise it's also nice to maintain the solid chocolate chunks to contrast with the squishy filling and marshmallows.

Thanks for reading and if you're jonesing for more pie details (and lots of my seemingly unrelated thoughts), stop by my pie blog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009 08:04:53 AM »

That's a pretty fantastic sounding pie, but I think I liked your exposition most of all. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009 08:15:27 AM »

As an Australian who has never had a s'more - that looks delicious.

Sadly, we don't have pre-made Graham cracker crusts
or Graham crackers
or Hershey's bars
or Jell-O Cook and serve pudding
or Cool Whip...

And, I live in nowheresville China now, so I don't have an oven!  Cry

Oh this looks so delicious. I want one very badly. I don't know how to make a S'more, but I pledge to find out.
Please, post this one to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlw.enjoy
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009 08:18:15 AM »

looks soooo good thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

johnarae89
the queen of cheesiness

i tend to twinkle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009 08:58:35 AM »

LMAO, cooool wHip! oh how i love you just for posting that. i'm so happy i found someone that is also amused by it!

ps. the pie looks amazing, and i'll be trying this over my thanksgiving break, thanks so much for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hoper, a prayer, a magic bean buyer. . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some fax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!
Riechan
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009 09:29:35 AM »

bookmark!
that looks very very yummy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
rileyartie
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009 02:45:34 PM »

I'm going to make this pie. It looks easy and delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Barbieeee
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009 08:25:37 PM »

I made this for my bf and added roughly crushed Golden Grahams to the top. Super yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Youthful, Flirty Makeup Look to Refresh Your Style
How Highlighting Can Transform Your Everyday Look
Back to Uni Makeup Tutorial
Katie Holmes Is Olay’s First Global Brand Ambassador
Beauty Guide: Rose Gold Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...