A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Valentine's Day Card!  (Read 969 times)
Tags for this thread: greeting_card  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SciFunk
« on: February 11, 2010 02:14:30 AM »

I have been dying to try papercutting because I've seen so many gorgeous things done with it. However, I can't draw worth crap, so I figured I was kind of screwed. Then, brilliantly, I had one of those crafty ideas that just builds on itself. I was looking at wallpapers (the kind for your computer desktop, not your walls Tongue ), and there was this technique to get a vector-ish looking image that someone was discussing. Basically, you use a filter in Photoshop called "Cutout". I thought "Hey, that would adapt itself to a papercutting." then "HEY I could do some of my totally awesome MMORPG (Guild Wars) characters." and then I thought "Hey, Valentine's Day is coming up. You know what I bet my boyfriend would appreciate? A freaking Guild Wars card!" I also came up with a game related poem to put inside, which I'm super bloody proud of because I also can't write worth crap. I am a spinning/yarn/resin/fabric/baking kind of girl. Smiley

Normally I don't post personal-type stuff, but this just blew my mind, and I figured it could help out someone else looking for something awesome to do for Valentine's Day (or any other holiday. Or just because.)

Images!

The finished card! Christ I am so proud of it. That's my first papercut design! Is that not insane?!

After I adjusted the images in Photoshop (it took forever and a day to get it to something I liked), I made the filled in bits as dark as I could and printed them out. To trace through my fancy thick white paper, I rigged up a spur-of-the-moment lightbox by clipping the paper/printed image to a clipboard, then extending it over the end of a piano bench with a desk light shining up through the bottom.

This may or may not give a better idea of the lightbox type rigging.

Just an image of everything traced out, ready to cut. I think this looks pretty sweet too.

Aaand cutting it out. You can see the printed photoshop image behind the cuts because I didn't bother to remove it until the end. I worked in front of my computer with the image open so I could refer to it constantly and not have to do any creative artistic things on my own. Wink

Oh, and here is my cheesy poem (that I am also super proud of, which is why it goes in the post). If you don't play Guild Wars, you probably won't get it, but you can get a general idea (and see how easy it is to make up your own!). It was actually inspired by a Woot shirt that had Mario/Sonic/Player 2 references, but this is more "us".

Bean cakes are red
Minor runes are blue
Please click accept
And join my group
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010 05:33:00 AM »

I like it. Bet it'll be extra-meaningful to your bf too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
boadicea
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 11:08:49 AM »

This is amazing! I like seeing the process. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celeb Stylist Ashley Javier on How to Get Retro-Glam Hair
How to Get Frizz Free Curls with a Diffuser
Faux Hawk Ponytail Tutorial
6 Amazingly Simple Hairstyles for Lazy Girls
How to Create a Full Messy Bun
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...