A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Loose lower thread in stitches  (Read 3802 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StripedPajamas
« on: November 22, 2009 02:44:27 PM »

I bought a Kenmore Ultra stitch 6 and when I tried it out it worked great but now, for whatever reason, the lower thread is too loose and allowing the upper thread to peak out at the bottom, but everything else looks perfect on top.This is still a problem with the machine set to it's highest upper thread tension, I've even adjusted the presser foot tension according to the fabric, but still. What's up and how can I fix it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my new fashion blog here
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009 08:54:57 PM »

Well if you're still having the problem with the upper thread tension at it's highest, you've probably gotta loosen the bobbin tension. The manual should have a page about doing that, but it needs to be done very carefully. You basically go an eighth-turn at a time on the tension screw, and try it out, then another eighth turn and try it again. Don't forget to return your upper tension to it's "normal" range. My sewing machine manual has a trouble-shooting section in the back, and I hope yours would as well. Try looking in there to see what else it suggests.

If you still can't figure it, try calling the place you bought it from. I only once needed to do that, but the troubleshooting suggestion I got was bang-on and solved my problem. If it's still under warranty, you could even take it in and have it tuned up for free (otherwise there's usually a smallish fee for such service).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009 04:40:41 PM »

It's possible that the upper thread isn't seated quite correctly in the tension discs.  Try rethreading, but make certain the presser foot is UP while your threading the upper tension.  Get out your manual and tripple check the threading instructions while you're at it.

The link below also has information about how to check/adjust your lower tension:

Fixing Thread Loopies on the Underside

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
StripedPajamas
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009 04:48:56 PM »

Well, it's an older machine, I bought it from an old man who's in the sewing machine fixing business, I have a lifetime warranty, or at least as long as he lives(yeah, he's old), so if I've got a major problem I can bring it in, but it's a long drive and this seems pretty fixable, it's just my lack of knowledge (heheh). I will try that out though, I just find it a bit confusing that the tension are inverted, looser bobbin tension makes the bottom a little tighter? Now to take a look into my manual, which I still haven't put in a binder yet, papers flying in every which way.

Now as for the threading, my mother has prompted me to re-thread about 50 times already, I'm sure that the pressure foot was up at least a couple of times, but I will try again when I try out the bobbin tension.

Thanks for the help you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my new fashion blog here
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009 05:26:15 AM »

Balancing tension is like a game of tug-o-war between the upper tension and the lower thread tension.

If your upper thread is looping or hanging out on the underside, that tells your that the lower tension is stronger than the upper tension, and pulling the upper thread down too far.  It would be equally correct to say that the upper tension is weaker than the bottom in this circumstance.

Sometimes it's just a matter of tweaking the dials or tension screws, other times it's a matter of a threading error, having the bobbin inserted incorrectly, etc...

If you go to the page that I provide the link to above, there is a diagram and more explination that show and explain how all this works.  
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009 05:28:15 AM by Sew-Classic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Bees
How to Draw Manga Animals
How to Draw Bart Simpson
New York Comic Con 2008
How to Do the Grafitti Letter P
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...