A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "1000 Journals" swap...ongoing???  (Read 5504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweety28303
"She is Dangerous, She is Dangerous, I'm sure."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009 08:18:58 PM »

This sounds like a great idea! but i'd worry about the paper being damaged in transit.. other than that I would love to be a part of this swap..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Any quilters interested in a personal swap?
RougeRaven
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009 08:43:30 PM »

I'm in! Especially with such a great organiser!

Aw thanks, beckashell! For those who are concerned about the pages going through the mail, there are stiffer envelopes available or you could write "do not bend". Or the cheapest route: stick your page in between layers of cardboard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
sweety28303
"She is Dangerous, She is Dangerous, I'm sure."

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009 08:54:19 PM »

yea.. I asked because I'm in a puzzle swap now.. and I got my piece back and it was a bit messed up.. and I wrote do not bend/handle with care all over it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Any quilters interested in a personal swap?
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009 02:45:11 PM »

My husband used to sell comic books through the mail, and if you know comic book nerds, you know you can't bend those things or the world will end, so he used to cut cardboard slightly bigger than the books, put a piece on either side, and wrap the whole thing in saran wrap (no tape!). Got compliments all the time about his packaging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carmenmarie
I like getting crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009 06:28:10 PM »

I love the idea of this swap.  I sent out my first swap a week ago, so hopefully by the time this one gets going I will have my feedback and be ready to join.  I also like the idea of sending single pages (or two) otherwise I and my partners could be spending $$ on shipping to and from  New Zealand.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009 06:45:13 PM »

Having been in the "Tip in with a twist" as well as various swaps on other sites where I sent a moleskine journal in a round robin, I have to say I like sending pages much better.  even with a trusted circle of swappers its pretty nervewracking to send an almost completed journal of art through the postal system.  Personally to keep it less complicated I would not have too big of groups (small groups with a couple rounds instead of one round with large groups), have all the pages be the same size and I would go with the same loose theme for the swap (like numbers, letters or colours)

As long as your signups do not extend past a month the swap would be like a regular swap with multiple sendouts.  A swap like this is a HUGE commitment and people need to be prepared for how much work and time is involved.  Ours went on for many months and almost everyone had a few pages that had to be redone because the post office ate them.

and I never write Do Not Bend on my mail art....I swear it always gets bent when you do Smiley  a piece of cardboard is the best protection
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009 06:46:06 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
RougeRaven
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009 12:05:22 PM »

Having been in the "Tip in with a twist" as well as various swaps on other sites where I sent a moleskine journal in a round robin, I have to say I like sending pages much better.  even with a trusted circle of swappers its pretty nervewracking to send an almost completed journal of art through the postal system.  Personally to keep it less complicated I would not have too big of groups (small groups with a couple rounds instead of one round with large groups), have all the pages be the same size and I would go with the same loose theme for the swap (like numbers, letters or colours)

As long as your signups do not extend past a month the swap would be like a regular swap with multiple sendouts.  A swap like this is a HUGE commitment and people need to be prepared for how much work and time is involved.  Ours went on for many months and almost everyone had a few pages that had to be redone because the post office ate them.

and I never write Do Not Bend on my mail art....I swear it always gets bent when you do Smiley  a piece of cardboard is the best protection

Great input, thanks!

Sometimes I do wonder if the postal people get mad at the "do not bend" notes and do it out of spite lol

I think we could do small groups and then do new sign ups each month till the "books are filled." (Since we aren't actually sending books...)

So what page size are we thinking here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009 12:15:26 PM »

you can do signups once and then have a series of sendouts so people eventually send to everyone.  Something to keep in mind with having signups every month, is that swappers would need to have at least a couple of available swap spots.....mail can take a while sometimes and if something goes missing it would have to be resent.  You wouldn't be able to close out the feedback until the pages are received.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
calluna
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009 04:53:05 PM »

Yaaay, I'm so glad there's interest in this again!

Just to consider, when setting up the swap, here are the guidelines another site set up for this kind of swap: http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25138&postcount=1
They have several groups going, trading pages over the course of however many months.

The 5x7" pages they used in the Tip-In Swap were great; here's the link to the specific book they used:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz118/12/

I picked up a couple Strathmore 6x9" watercolor pads that also look like they would work well: http://www.dickblick.com/products/strathmore-windpower-watercolor-pads/
This brand is easier to find at general arts and crafts stores, but not necessarily this particular item.

With the japanese/accordian "moleskine" journal, people's artwork will blend together from page to page since the pages are all connected. Here's a large collection of photos of artwork, and links to guidelines, related blogs and such: http://www.flickr.com/groups/moly_x/

And back to the 1000 Journals for a moment, if the idea were to send them out randomly without knowing if/when they'll come back, it would make a great craft-along since it can't be an organized swap. We could post pictures of the initial work we do on the books, and where we send them, and if the books ever come back, what's in them. I feel safest doing swaps with Craftster people, but there must be some online communities devoted to this like there are for letterboxing....If we could find out where other journals are sitting, waiting to be added to, we could go get them if they were close to where we are. And there are plenty of people happy to do a personal swap here!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009 04:55:18 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
RougeRaven
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009 07:10:16 PM »

And back to the 1000 Journals for a moment, if the idea were to send them out randomly without knowing if/when they'll come back, it would make a great craft-along since it can't be an organized swap. We could post pictures of the initial work we do on the books, and where we send them, and if the books ever come back, what's in them. I feel safest doing swaps with Craftster people, but there must be some online communities devoted to this like there are for letterboxing....If we could find out where other journals are sitting, waiting to be added to, we could go get them if they were close to where we are. And there are plenty of people happy to do a personal swap here!

This is an interesting point, would we prefer to approach this as a craft along with personal swaps (should you choose to) instead? Also, should we choose a formal swap, it doesn't mean both couldn't happen. We could set up both a craft along for those interested, especially since you only do a few pages and then send it off and do the formal swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Stylish Olympians Who Have Amazing Off-Duty Style
Kate Bosworth Perfects Her Daytime Polish in Printed Shorts
The Perfect Threads For The Beach
Wildfox 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Suboo 2013 At Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim, Miami Beach
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...