A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "1000 Journals" swap...ongoing???  (Read 5312 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EOcrafter
Never met a craft I didn't like

mmm rummy drink!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009 07:42:50 AM »

i would love to do this!  i'll be watching for sign ups if someone decides to organize..and i think organizing this swap would be a pretty big committment...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009 08:05:18 AM »

I've done a few of these swaps, and they are really fantastic. I have three completed journals that I really treasure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009 08:38:10 AM »

I love the idea of this though I personally am about to go on a swapping hiatus myself  Undecided

Just an idea from another swap I admired before - the "Tip in with a Twist" where basically everyone in the swap purchased the same type of notebook which had removable pages. This way you could send out pages at a time, and not have your entire journal be at risk if someone flaked. Also this would be a HUGE advantage since shipping one page would be way way lighter than shipping an entire journal especially after its been circulating for a while and has added weight of glued in items, paint, etc. I think that swap was done in rounds too every month or so.

Here's the link for that other swap.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=201033.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

afterthesparks

peachy keen, jelly bean

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009 10:43:41 AM »

Ohhh I love this idea! I also think that having an ongoing swap like this could get very expensive and time consuming though. I like the notebook pages idea-- that way if someone flakes or decides to opt out it won't screw everything up. Heres to hoping this idea comes to life!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rise up, wise up, say it loud 'soul, i will not lie to you' - Tegan and Sara
Rainbow_Storms
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009 08:33:56 PM »

this sounds like a really interesting idea... especially if you sent out pages instead of the whole journal- I could see that getting a little expensive for me, personally. Bookmarked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps! Just PM me!

I've recently gotten into blythes; check out my blog about mine here:
http://saffron42.livejournal.com
http://deliagrey.etsy.com
RougeRaven
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009 06:53:52 PM »

I was in the same journal swap as beckashell and the same flaker kept my journal too since we all were in the same swap circle. I think the idea of sending individual pages out is a great way to stop flakers from completely ruining the swap. I believe this technique was used in the chunky page swap and I think it could work out great here too.

I am going to be brave and volunteer to organize this after the holiday break if there is still an interest.

Here are a few ideas:

I think if we limited the page size to what fits in a normal, flat shipping envelope it doesn't matter what size it is, but each swapper needs to put their name on the back of their journal page in order to ensure the right page goes back to the right swapper. (This could be done lightly in pencil and erased later)

Themes could be left up to the individual swappers- someone may want a rainbow themed journal and ask different people to do different colors or another may want stuff based on a childhood memory or even another may say its a free for all and do whatever you want. Keep in mind that some themes are harder than others, you may want to give fellow swappers a list to choose from. For example, in my last journal swap I chose mermaids and people found this to be a challenge, I could have offered the themes of sea creatures, the beach and other mythological creatures/figures as alternatives that still fit with my theme but give my partners more options.

Any takers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009 07:18:02 PM »

This sounds interesting and like it could be a lot of fun. I love the look of altered books/journals and such, but seem to be less than great at making them and this would be sort of the ultimate altered book with all different styles of pages.

Trying to see how it works though.. Say I am in the swap with 4 other people. Would I take 5 "journal pages" and send them out, keeping one for myself, and then they would be sent back to me? Or would it work to say, I'm doing an 8.5 x 11 3 ring journal system, with x theme and then people make and send me pages? Just curious on the logistics. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009 10:23:28 AM »

I think I probably want to try to bind my own pages, so I'd be game for either saying "this is the size I want" or for sending out blanks. If we just specified the size and possibly the binding style we wanted and the pages were made and sent to us that would save on postage though. 
I also like the idea of listing several themes/interests for others to choose from. A very specific theme can make it difficult. And maybe telling your partners whether or not you want to be able to write on the pages would be a good idea- I've seen journals where you could, and journals where you couldn't.
Overall I'm really excited about this idea, can you tell?  Roll Eyes
Thanks for being willing to take on organising RougeRaven!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009 12:19:08 PM »

I'm in! Especially with such a great organiser!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009 12:09:07 PM »

I'd love to do this as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Oil Paint with Hall Groat
How to Oil Paint
Ambient Art - Van Gogh
Ambient Art - Sisley
Ambient Art - Seurat
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...