A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "1000 Journals" swap...ongoing???  (Read 5500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilsarah
« on: November 21, 2009 06:02:47 PM »

I'm watching the documentary "1000 Journals" ... if you aren't familiar go here http://www.1000journals.com

Basically 1000 journals unleashed into the world for people to add their portion to and then pass it on.

I remember back in high school I tried soooo hard to get one of these journals and it never happened.

So, watching this I was thinking, why not start one? I was thinking I would pass one among my roomies and I (there are 6 of us) but then I thought about all you lovelies here.

I'm thinking something like an ongoing swap. We would start with a set basic list of people (whoever joins by such and such date) and in order to join you must have a blank journal ready to send.

Once sign ups are closed you are given an address where to send YOUR journal. Add the first entry and send away. Your address is also on that list, expect one soon.

I don't know exactly the flow of how it would work from there, but the idea is that you would get one of the journals, add some, send it along to some one else interested.

Also, people can join after the fact, they just have to throw a journal into the mix.

The idea is that when the journal you first sent out is full, it is returned to you. You get to keep it.

Besides the fuzzy logistics, what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MommyTheMaid
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009 07:40:40 PM »

We could do something like a circle journal.  Where there would be a group of how ever many people.   Person 1 would mail to Person 2 while Person 6 (or whoever is last on the list) would send to Person 1.  Then Person 1 writes an entry or two (or puts some artwork, tapes in a something personal, something like that) and then sends Person 6's journal to person 2 and so on.

Then you could do more rounds if more people are interested. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009 07:41:41 PM »

I love the idea of this.

Only problem would be flakers. I did a journal swap a few months ago and worked so hard on the entries I did, but one of my partners flaked and kept my journal. I never even got to see photos. I guess that's a chance you have to take though...

Would you add requirements eg. theme for journal, page number limit, time allowed to keep journal? etc
Or just that people can do anything..?

I can't do this till after xmas, but i guess if this is a swap that can be joined at any time it wouldn't matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009 08:01:56 PM »

This is a great idea, but you  might want to check the swap rules for ongoing swaps.  I think they have stopped allowing them.  You need a start and stop date.  I think you can carry them over for a month or so, but there needs to be a time limit somewhere.

I could be wrong, so check for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009 08:19:22 PM »

This is a great idea, but you  might want to check the swap rules for ongoing swaps.  I think they have stopped allowing them.  You need a start and stop date.  I think you can carry them over for a month or so, but there needs to be a time limit somewhere.

I could be wrong, so check for sure.

oh yes, i remember seeing that somewhere...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009 09:12:41 PM »

It could probably be done like the Tea Towel Tour Swaps. I've never done one, but the towels go to several people and it seems to work out well (I stalk them a lot.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009 01:57:44 PM »

Could you do this in rounds maybe? Like, this round, the journal goes through two or three swaps, staying a couple of weeks in each swapper's hands. And then if that goes well, a new round is done, with three (or so) swaps within that round, and so on and so on. ?? Maybe that would work?
I think it's a great idea, but worry about flakers myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009 05:15:03 PM »

This sounds like a cool idea, the only thing I would be scared of is flakers as mentioned and possible shipping costs  Tongue.

I think a combination of an pseudo-ongoing/normal swap would work great with this as journals have tons of pages. So the swap would be broken down into groups A-X with X number of people in each group like MommyTheMaid said, this would be the regular part. The ongoing part could be you use your same journal in the next months swap and so forth until it's filled up. Kind of like what Dragonflywer's saying.

Did that make any sense?  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
dinosaur.collective
Opinions are like kittens, people are always giving them away.

Curing cancer one high five at a time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009 05:47:30 PM »

I have a '1000 Journal' book. It entails some of the artwork from different journals. I'm quite fond of this idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're just a million little gods causing rain storms turning every good thing to rust.
tiffie1023
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009 09:39:28 PM »

i wanted one too.  i'm totally down for this swap idea.  how long would you have in between recieving and sending again? any ideas?  i think the hardest part would be keeping track of all the dc numbers, we would need a reallay good organizer because of the amount of commitment i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps are my favorite

wists! http://www.wists.com/tiffie1023
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Finishing Touches
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Customizing with Shears
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Cut with Clippers
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Set Up Guidelines
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...