A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,860
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cardboard cuff bracelet  (Read 9729 times)
Tags for this thread: bracelet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luna1375
« on: November 21, 2009 05:47:48 PM »

I posted a while back about getting all these short cardboard tubes from my boyfriend's mom. They held yarn, and when she uses up the yarn, she gives me the tubes.  Thanks to a suggestion from here, I've been making lots of cuff bracelets out of them by covering them with scrapbook paper, coating with Mod Podge and Triple Thick Glaze, then sealing with acrylic sealant.  I think they've been turning out nice!  Here's a couple of pics of my favorite one:

Oh, I also made that paper hand to display them for photos, pretty simple really, just traced my own hand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
Ravenau1
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009 05:55:17 PM »

Gorgeous! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curiocait
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009 06:40:04 PM »

These look awesome & very green

Impulse buy at a craft fair? way cute, I'd totally buy one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009 07:10:40 PM »

This IS cute! I actually like the inside paper better, though. I haven't seen it at the craft stores, so do you mind sharing where it's from? Thanks!

You can also cut up poster tubes to do this, if you have a source of free poster tubes. At my school, trash from the chem department (that's not chemical waste) always sits out in one of the halls for a long time before it's picked up, and I like to rummage through it for craft supplies. There's old/broken equipment, super-dated supplies, ancient furniture, and lots of mysterious stuff they keep discovering as they're getting ready to renovate the building. Would be a great site for a photoshoot, really, cause that place has this interesting, stuck-in-time atmosphere. I mention this because they tend to have poster tubes there from time to time... Yesterday, I was really stressed out before taking a midterm, and rummaging and finding some nice foam there calmed my nerves Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Luna1375
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009 07:26:57 PM »

hello color: both of those papers are from the same paper pack, "Offbeat" by Basic Grey.  Maybe I'll do some bracelets with the more subtle papers on the outside too.  I just love a bold pattern though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scraparcs
Reads both ways

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009 11:44:32 PM »

Very neat idea!  I've not seen this before and I've definitely looked at lots of neat bracelet, cuff, and bangle ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gaze into my pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/saguarosally/
Born2bWild
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009 02:50:14 AM »

This is really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009 03:56:25 PM »

The bracelet looks great!  You have excellent craftsmanship and a great eye for choosing patterns.

I love your idea for the display too.  I'm not sure if you are planning to take photos or set up a display to sell them, if you are I have a small suggestion!  If you could make another display in a solid color, the contrast would really make your bracelets pop.  I love the pattern on the display that you made, I think it would work great for solid colored bracelets.  Just a thought!

Hope to see more of your work!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.recycledstar.et sy.com --> Fine silver jewelry and other goodies Smiley

www.recycledstar.co m --> Needs to be updated!
Luna1375
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009 05:16:58 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion! I did try it with a solid tan color for the display, and it looked weird to me, I dunno, like it was trying too hard to look like a real hand.  Looked like a creepy sort of ghost hand in photos.  The idea for the display is really just because my own hands are ugly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009 09:59:42 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion! I did try it with a solid tan color for the display, and it looked weird to me, I dunno, like it was trying too hard to look like a real hand.  Looked like a creepy sort of ghost hand in photos.  The idea for the display is really just because my own hands are ugly.

I used to work with framing and art display, and have a suggestion:  when in doubt, or when wanting something that can be used with a variety of colors (like your display), choose a solid green.  Good, natural green almost never fights with other colors.  
       As my mentor expressed it: "Think about a green lawn; no matter what color of rubber balls you throw on it, they all look fine!"
 Smiley

I love the cuff! Does the triple glaze dry solid enough to fight humidity?  I never play with paper elements in jewelry because I live in an area with 80%+ humidity in summer, but your idea is really REALLY inspiring!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009 10:00:29 AM by PimpernelSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Boneless Breaded Chicken Leg Cajun Style
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 4/5
How to Make Jasmine Rice with Chicken in a Crock Pot
Learn About Oysters
How to Make a Santa Maria Tri Tip
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...