A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glitter balls  (Read 10257 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_decoration , glitter , ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009 10:42:55 AM »

Very pretty. That looks like a fun (haha) thing to do with the kids. I say ha b/c I'm sure it won't be fun cleaning up afterwords, but probably worth it.
I did it once with the glue/glitter on the outside, what a mess! never again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
crendon
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009 11:01:03 AM »

very cool...love the suggestion about the plastic balls too...will try this with the kiddos over xmas break!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009 12:53:17 PM »

I've done this with acrylic paint but I LOVE the look of these with glitter and glue!
Oh yes! A great project to do between now and Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archerpren
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009 04:15:03 PM »

omg! this is phenominal and sooooooooo much easier than the way ive been doing it! hahaha. trust me do NOT try to use modpodge for this is takes weeks (litterally) to get dry! thanks for the notes on your process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
J_Kieviet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009 05:26:05 PM »

beautiful, my 3 year old niece LOVES glitter, and wants to glitterify everything in the craft room, I have everything I need, so this will be one weeks crafts!  thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Mccalls 6337 sewing pattern, if you have a copy you'd be willing to share/give/sell please let me know.  The bag costs $60 and I think perhaps I could make it cheaper/
amerigirl05
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009 05:27:44 PM »

Thanks everyone!

lilibet, I wonder if a glue/water combo would work? It might take a long time to dry, too, but would probably be better for kids. I think the plastic ornaments would work fine.

My favorites are the ones made with all the mixed-up colors that were left at the end. They're almost gaudy, but then that's probably why I like them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FrenchTea
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009 01:35:01 AM »

Oh no, Don't let my sister see these. XD
:3 We painted glass ornaments last year by putting acrylic paint inside and then shaking them but oh my the horror of glitter. XD I'm not a fan of it but thats mainly just using it, it gets everywhere D:.
And these are gorgeous I love all the colors.

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009 09:18:23 AM »

great idea! I have done lots of different things with these ornaments, but yours are super-pretty. I always avoid buying the glittery ornaments because of the mess involved (I have a toddler and a cat, so triple it lol)

When I was a kid, I made something similar to these, with potpourrii and glitter and ribbons, but no glue. With the finer glitter, it kind of self-adheres to the glass, so we popped that it, rolled it about and tossed the extra back out into the glitter dish. Then, filled with spiced potpourri (not floral, cuz ew...lol) and put the tops back on with ribbons and bows to decorate the outside. They were pretty, and when placed on the tree, the heat of the lights made the smell of spiced potpourri fill the room - very christams-y smelling Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009 11:14:31 AM »

This is awesome!

Now, my mum is a kindergarden teacher (2.5 till 3) and she would love to use your idea as a Christmas craft work with the kids. Can you make this balls with plastic examples too? Because glass and small children, well, you get the picture... We're pondering about the glue, because we're not sure we have glue spray in Belgium too.

i'm pretty sure there's spray adhesive in belgium. i'v never been there, but otherwise i haven't been to any craftstore in europe that didn't carry it.
i always buy it at office-supply-stores (are they called office suppliers or something else? i have no clue)

what about using these clear plastic ornaments that come apart?
like this one: http://www.bastelbedarf-scholz.de/images/product_images/info_images/2081_0.jpg
they come in lots of shapes and sizes. and maybe it's easier to fill for the little ones?
then you could glue a ribbon on to cover the seam to keep them from opening

thanks for sharing the glitter-inside idea!

We'll go hunting for that kind of glue soon. I'm sure we'll find it.

Guten Tage Erdbeerblau (lovely name)! Thank you for the idea, but mum and I both prefer the closed Christmas balls. The ornament you showed is a Easter egg, no? Because the kids cannot open the ball, they cannot mess with the glitters. Mum will just pour it in and allow the toddlers to flip the ball over. Much safer, I would say. Thanks for helping us anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009 12:03:38 PM »

thanks lillibet :-)

and yes, it's an easter egg, but it shows how it works (i could not find one useful and big enough picture of ball- or star shaped ones ;-)
if you end up making glitter balls in the gindergarden, you HAVE to tell us about this experience. please. :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Does Wearing Red Make You Sexier?
Jennifer Lopez Inspired Elegant Updo Hair Tutorial
How to Apply Summer Makeup
Hottest Summer Beauty And Style Secrets
Beauty MacGyver: How to Fix Your Favorite Broken Makeup Products
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...