A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
319 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking For Pattern? Ask here!  (Read 14237 times)
Tags for this thread: technicolor_dreamcoat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012 07:43:02 PM »

Start working the doily pattern at whatever round corresponds to the point where 4 or 6 repeats matches your stitch count (you'll likely have to fiddle with that a bit, increasing a few stitches to make it work).

Hmm, I love the idea of using a doily pattern!

I'm not quite sure I understand how to make it work though... Say for example I wanted to use this doily pattern. I would start where half (if I were doing 4 repeats) the stitch count on the doily matched the number of stitches at the bustline?

Would I have to multiply the number of stitches in the lace pattern to make it large enough to be a dress since a doily is much smaller? Or, do I keep on increasing as in pattern until it reaches the desired width?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
Momof2!
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012 07:54:27 PM »

I saw a poncho type thing that was made by knitting a really wide scarf then sewing it (or whatever you call it) together. Like one end would attach to the end of the long side opposite it. I'm sure that is confusing but basically it's just a big scarf you knit. I'm new so looking for something simple but cute I could make for my 5 year old. Does anyone know where I could find a pattern for something like that? I can't remember where I saw it Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2012 08:17:42 PM »

Start working the doily pattern at whatever round corresponds to the point where 4 or 6 repeats matches your stitch count (you'll likely have to fiddle with that a bit, increasing a few stitches to make it work).

Hmm, I love the idea of using a doily pattern!

I'm not quite sure I understand how to make it work though... Say for example I wanted to use this doily pattern. I would start where half (if I were doing 4 repeats) the stitch count on the doily matched the number of stitches at the bustline?

Would I have to multiply the number of stitches in the lace pattern to make it large enough to be a dress since a doily is much smaller? Or, do I keep on increasing as in pattern until it reaches the desired width?

Say, for example, you are a thin woman using big needles and your stitch count just under the bust is 64 sts (completely grabbing that out of the air). Dividing it by 4 you get 16sts for your doily pattern repeat. Looking at that pattern you have 16 sts worked in row 30, so you would start the pattern from there.

Since you will be using much larger needles than you would be if you were knitting a doily you probably won't have to add any stitches. Most doilies are knit on needles around size US#2 or smaller. A lot of the vintage ones are on needles smaller than size US#0.

From the photo you posted of the inspiration it looks like there are about three rows to the inch. If you started the doily pattern on row 30 you would have 54 rows of doily pattern to knit, which works out to 18". You'll probably want to either find more lace patterns to add on to that one or find a larger doily (or table cloth, or circle/half circle shawl) pattern to start with.

Here is a nice big doily pattern and it also looks like you could easily repeat the lace pattern as many times as you needed to add length.

Looking at shawl patterns the curved portion of Innabun looks ideal for the skirt of a dress.

Herbert Niebling patterns might be a good place to look, though they can be hard to find. Most of them are large and designed for tiny needles so they might actually be too big knitted loose like that overdress. Frosted Ferns might look nice as a skirt, and it's free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2012 08:28:04 PM »

Say, for example, you are a thin woman using big needles and your stitch count just under the bust is 64 sts (completely grabbing that out of the air). Dividing it by 4 you get 16sts for your doily pattern repeat. Looking at that pattern you have 16 sts worked in row 30, so you would start the pattern from there.

Since you will be using much larger needles than you would be if you were knitting a doily you probably won't have to add any stitches. Most doilies are knit on needles around size US#2 or smaller. A lot of the vintage ones are on needles smaller than size US#0.

From the photo you posted of the inspiration it looks like there are about three rows to the inch. If you started the doily pattern on row 30 you would have 54 rows of doily pattern to knit, which works out to 18". You'll probably want to either find more lace patterns to add on to that one or find a larger doily (or table cloth, or circle/half circle shawl) pattern to start with.

That makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for all the help, and those links are amazing Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
bergman
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012 08:22:42 AM »

Hello everyone,
I just bought a 9.5 inch long circular needle so I could possible make some mittens or fingerless mitts but I can't find a pattern and I am having a hard time with the sizing. I think it might still be a bit long for mittens. If you know of a pattern that uses a size 6 9.5 inch long circular let me know.

I also like to state that I hate using double pointed needles.

any patterns with this needle would be great! thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkykimmy17
Kimmy <3

Bulltshit and Attitude will get you far in life!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012 06:13:12 PM »

Hello all my fiance found this rather interesting hat thinger.... I was wondering if any one has a pattern for the hat and maybe make up a pattern for the beard part... Im not very good at knitting.. I only have done scarves I've posted a link below so you can see what I'm talking bout... I would really appreciate help.  I saw this and thought of the Craftster population.. if anyone can make this and make a tutorial its you guys!! 

Thanks all!
http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/47119499/black_product_copy.jpg

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimmy <3
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012 06:44:20 PM »

Hello all my fiance found this rather interesting hat thinger.... I was wondering if any one has a pattern for the hat and maybe make up a pattern for the beard part... Im not very good at knitting.. I only have done scarves I've posted a link below so you can see what I'm talking bout... I would really appreciate help.  I saw this and thought of the Craftster population.. if anyone can make this and make a tutorial its you guys!!  

Thanks all!
http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/47119499/black_product_copy.jpg

I did a quick pattern search on Ravelry using the word 'beard' and came up with a lot of pattern options for what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012 06:44:58 PM by Geniale » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crtchrocketchica

"I give you a book and you eat the pages"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2012 03:46:11 PM »

I am looking for anyone who has the "Stylish Knits for Dogs: 30 Projects to Knit in a Weekend" book. I own the book, however I have misplaced it and have to have 2 sweaters knitted (the hooded one) If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.   http://books.google.com/books/about/Stylish_Knits_For_Dogs.html?id=InChpFsp2msC
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stink-Bug Raisins Mommy <3
Novia
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2012 07:46:21 PM »

so beautiful glove
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2012 11:12:44 AM »

I want to knit a sweater!  I'm looking for a beginner pattern, preferably something in a chunky-weight yarn, in plus size (2x, 3x).  I found one forever ago in a magazine, but I lost the magazine Sad  Can anyone help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...