A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you make mushrooms appetizing?  (Read 5328 times)
Tags for this thread: mushroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010 05:43:50 AM »

Saute button mushrooms with butter and garlic, add salt to taste.

Slice shitake mushrooms thinly if you don't like them much.  Add them to tomato meat sauce and pour them in your favorite pasta.

Put diced mushrooms in omelettes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
xVx
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010 10:11:10 PM »

Sauteing them is definitely best. I sometimes marinade mine in hoisin and chinese five spice for twenty mines, chuck under the oven/on the bbq/however you want. Delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DncingDreamer

music is what feelings sound like

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010 02:05:14 PM »

I make stuffed mushrooms for holidays that my vegetarian sisterinlaw and non-vegetarian family devour before I can get them onto the table.

(My sisterinlaw eats dairy and egg so that's in the filling. I'm sure there's other binding agents you could use if you don't.)

The filling consists of Morning Star Farms Garden Veggie patties, shredded Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and egg. You thaw then chop up the patties nice and small and combine with the rest of the ingredients. I don't really measure but I use the whole box of the patties, one egg, and a handful of the cheese and breadcrumbs. (If you have more filling than what fits in the mushrooms I make "meatballs" out of it and cook them in my sweet & sour sauce (grape jelly and chili sauce). Those disappear, too.)

Cooking time is about 15 minutes at 350*.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver_McAdams
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010 04:48:00 PM »

I am the same way about the texture. As a kid, I would always pick the mushrooms out of the spaghetti my mom made. I have now figured a way around that though. I chop them up pretty small and then fry them in a pan with olive oil before adding them to a recipe. (I still don't like them plain.) This way, you get the flavor, but not so much the texture.

A great mushroom recipe (not vegetarian recipe) is as follows:

Lemon Chicken with Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients

* • 7 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    * • Olive oil
    * • 1 lemon
    * • ½ C butter
    * • 5C sliced mushrooms
    * • 1 1/2 C chicken broth
    * • 4T flour
    * • 3T fresh chopped parsley
    * • 1 minced garlic clove
    * • 1 tsp each: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, pepper, parsley, cumin, basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper--or to taste

Directions

1. Combine spices, ½ lemon’s juice, and about 5T olive oil. Marinate chicken in mix for 1 hour, at least.
 2. Preheat oven to 400*F
 3. Heat olive oil in skillet. Brown chicken breasts on both sides. Transfer to 9”x13” glass baking dish greased with olive oil. Slice remaining lemon and place on chicken. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until done.
 4. In large skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms and garlic clove. Stir while cooking until brown. Sprinkle with flour and blend. Gradually add chicken broth to create a creamy sauce. Add parsley at last minute before spooning onto chicken breasts.

You may need to grow more accustomed to the texture for this one though....and probably wont need to make so much. I thought I would share though, while on the topic of mushrooms.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
gnarlyis3
Jessica R

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013 02:41:14 PM »

I get my kids to eat portabellos by first lightly sauteing them gill side down, then building them up like a pizza. a layer of spinach for the first layer, topped with chopped tomatoes, fontina cheese, and a few italian herbs. broil it until the cheese is good and melted and lightly browned and enjoy

Tried this today for lunch - me and the man're taking tenative steps into the veggie world in order to support our daughter's choice when she's home from school. It's a bit of an adventure learning new methods of putting flavors and textures together but this is a winner! For 2 'srooms I mixed up abt 2/3 can of organic fire roasted tomatoes with pizza spices then topped with cheese, black olives and for some crunch, fresh green beans cut in 1/4" pieces. It made a more satisfying mouthful than the original pizza spin and had all the flavor. I think that if you're really hungry one wouldn't fill you and you'd better provide for a second or have a satisfying side dish. It's definately something I would recommend to convert a meat-eater tho. Didn't miss the meat and didn't have any slippery squishy mushroom goo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hoops & Scissors, Needles & Thread.
Don't loose pins while on the bed!
PeachieClean
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013 04:18:41 PM »

I managed to get myself used to the texture over time.  Just slice suuuper thin and fry 'em.  Every few times you do it get just a little thicker until you really don't notice.  I'll still pick some of them out of stuff, but the texture doesn't make me gag.  I /do/ enjoy the taste, but the texture is just creepy.  And anything where you mince it or mash it will get rid of most of the texture, and that works with just about anything. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013 08:33:15 AM »

If you ask your parents for a mini chopper for Christmas, so you can take the work out of all that small chopping and eat healthier, you'd probably get one way before that (as a mom, I know I would definitely send you one right away  Grin).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013 08:38:49 AM »

I love mushrooms but the white button mushrooms get me to gag every time.  I think it's the fact that they are rather tasteless.

Mushrooms have an earthy taste and they absorb everything you add to 'em.

My favourite thing to do with portabello mushrooms:
-  soak 'em in a mixture of soy sauce, veggie stock, and garlic  (poke holes in both the top and the bottom using a fork)
-  drain and pat 'em dry
-  fry 'em over high heat until the surface is brown
-  eat like a burger!

I also like to add garlic, onions, a little bit of red wine, to cooking mushrooms and puree 'til soft.  It's a good consistency for spreading and tastes good too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
donniesgirl
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013 05:19:55 PM »

There is a recipe for cheese grits with a mushroom topping on the Smitten Kitchen site that is good. 

There are also several good options in the 1001 Vegetarian Recipes cookbook I have...and I like to add them into my tortierre recipe although I guess that isn't vegan.  Grin

Personally, I like mushrooms as a side note rather than a main element in a dish. And I usually use portabellos - button mushrooms have no flavor so they are just a squishy ingredient.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grades of Beef
Primal Cuts of Meat
Introduction to Beef Basics
How to Make Cucumber Appetizers
Plating the Crab Cakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...