A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you make mushrooms appetizing?  (Read 5166 times)
Tags for this thread: mushroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tamagotchi
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010 03:35:23 AM »

I'm with ryeblossom - I think white button mushrooms are disgusting!  I don't like the texture or flavour of them as much as other kinds.  I would suggest shitake, but I suppose it's mostly a matter of opinion.  They don't have that traditional mushroom flavour, so they're very palatable.  My sister hates mushrooms and shitake are the only kind she will eat!

My favourite way to prepare them is to saute them lightly with a little bit balsamic vinegar or red wine.  It helps to balance the flavour and make them slightly less...mushroomy!  Soy sauce also works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Kaissa
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010 06:22:17 PM »

Sauteed baby bellas are really good! And someone else posted a link to stuffed mushrooms - yum!!

I got my hubby hooked on grilled portobello sandwiches -

brush with oil either whole caps or slices and grill on the bbq until tender and cooked- then slap it on some toasted sourdough along with roasted red peppers and some mayo mixed with fresh dill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nsterling
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010 09:20:24 PM »

I agree mushrooms are good when sauteed.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010 10:46:13 AM »

I am not sure what type my school uses, and I can't make them change it Sad
whatever they are, not so tasty.
I did have stuffed mushrooms that I did not realize were mushrooms until after it was delicious Smiley  I will have to ask for that recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
jenemc
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010 03:18:58 PM »

I am not a huge mushroom fan either - my husband however is, so I've put some work into finding ways to cook them that can be enjoyable for both of us.

One of my favorites is to cook sliced portabellas in butter - Earth Balance works too- over low heat in a skillet, until they are cooked down and quite soft, with the addition of some salt and pepper, and sometimes some fresh garlic.  This gives them a great flavor, and the texture isn't bad.  This works with other mushroom varieties pretty well, portabellos are just my favorite. 

I use this same method with portabellos and button mushrooms, sometimes adding an onion to cook down with them, add some additional butter once they are cooked down, some fresh herbs, garlic and parmesan cheese to make a sauce for pasta. 

I have been a vegetarian for a long time, and I like most vegetables, but have never had the love for mushrooms that many of my fellow veggies do.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010 01:26:04 PM »

Sautee them with a little olive oil and red wine! delish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
QuietChampion
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010 04:09:32 PM »

I'm with MissDisney and thelastKodama on this one-- mushrooms love to be fried. ESPECIALLY the big'uns.
Other than that, I treat my shrooms a little like I treat my tofu, and often pair the two. When my fiance is sick, I make him a broth by steeping dried mushrooms in boiling water, because he loves the flavour but not the texture. I eat the reconstituted bits with noodles and basil, myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010 07:03:51 PM »

I just read your name as  "quiet champignon" and thought "well, s/he should know!"  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Bakaness
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010 07:22:51 AM »

I got converted to liking mushrooms by my mother-in-law cooking button mushrooms, thinly sliced, with butter, garlic, a bit of white wine, and some whole-grain mustard. Pan-fry gently until mushy, or a texture you can stand. Smiley

I know it's not vegetarian, but I love boscaiola pasta sauce. Pan-fry some chopped bacon until crunchy, add some garlic, some whole-grain mustard, and some thinly sliced mushrooms. Cook till the mushrooms look done. Add a splash of white wine, some low-fat cream, and let it simmer while you cook pasta. Ta-da! Tasty! It's my favourite comfort food. (I suppose you could substitute bacon for not-bacon, but I have a rather irrational suspicion of highly processed soy products, so I've never tried it.)

Also, mushroom steaks, Jamie Oliver style. And by that, I mean baked in an oven, dripping with butter and garlic. Grin

I'm a firm believer in cooking mushrooms with butter and garlic, you may have noticed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010 03:17:08 AM »

You could try Mushroom Burgers?

I whiz up a bunch of different mushrooms in the food processor to start with.  Fry some finely chopped onion and garlic in a bit of oil until soft and then add the chopped mushrooms and fry a bit more.  Mix in a big handfull of breadcrumbs, some finely chopped fresh herbs that you like, a big dollop of dijon mustard, and then i also add some sweet chilli sauce to spice them up a bit.  Get messy with your hands making them into burger shapes (or could be meatball or sausages either) and then leave in the fridge for at least an hour to firm up before you cook them.  I initially tried frying them - but they disintegrated a bit, so I now bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes after spraying them with Fry Lite.

My local supermarket has a special offer on pumpkin and carrot breadrolls at the moment, and these burgers are lovely in those with some lettuce and a big dollop of ranch dressing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cheese Stuffed Mini Meatloaves
How to Make an Unstuffed Pepper Bake
How to Make Southwestern Chicken and Rice Bake
Daily Grace Makes Nice Crispy Meats
How a Boudin Sausage Is Made
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...