A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you make mushrooms appetizing?  (Read 5122 times)
Tags for this thread: mushroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ragdoll193
« on: November 20, 2009 07:32:37 PM »

I figure that quite a few people enjoy mushrooms, but I never have.

I am not a vegetarian, but I would like to include more vegetarian foods in my diet, and possibly consider converting eventually. I have not been finding red meat to be appetizing lately, but I would like to keep a wide range of foods in my diet.

For my whole life, if there is a food that I do not like, I will go back after a while (could be a month or a few years) and try it.
My biggest problem with mushrooms is the texture.
Does anyone have recipes that could make them tastier (or good enough to ignore the texture)?

In college here, I have access to a "wok" aka frying pan, with lots of veggies, mushrooms, beans, etc and 4 different sauces, usually soy, teriyaki, sweet and sour, and sweet chili. There are also a few different spices and a steamer, and they always have rice and noodles available. Eggs are available for use as well.

Thank you so much for suggestions in advance!

Thank you so much in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009 02:05:44 PM »

I'm with you on this one, the texture of mushrooms is just a big 'uggghhh' for me.  Maybe its the chewiness / squishyness / almost 'meaty'? Maybe it is just my imagination!

I can eat them if they are chopped up really small in a tomato sauce for pasta (yep like how you would tempt a small child to eat veggies!).  Even then it can only be button mushrooms, the others kind of freak me out!

It is a bit of a pain as lots of veggie options contain mushrooms - so I too would like to know how to make them a little more appetising!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Casey1201
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009 02:31:10 PM »

I used to hate mushrooms as well but I do what you do and always go back and try things.

The one thing with mushrooms I love is stuffed mushrooms. Here is the link to the recipe I always use, they are so delicious and have so many different flavors going on.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Mushrooms-III/Detail.aspx

I also like to bust out our fondue pot and put a herb mixture together and cook them in their. They absorb the flavors nicely and you can stuff the caps with a nice herb dip. You should check out that link though and use their search feature. I am always pulling new vegetarian recipes off there and trying them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps!

http://pinterest.com/caseyyoder/
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009 02:32:34 PM »

not necessarily the healthiest option here, but i like them fried, both pan and deep

also, have you tried other kinds of mushrooms? i know for me the white button ones are soft and fluffy (which i love) and the shitake/cremini are more tough and meaty (also love Smiley now i want a portabello burger, and i am not a veg)

you can try roasting them in the oven, that will add alot of flavor indeed

i would say that experimentation is key....

also, i do what you do, i try things again just to make sure lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
ragdoll193
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009 08:31:47 PM »

honestly, I can't tell what type of mushrooms are which at this point, just by looking at them.
I will try adding them to my usual "stir fry" Monday and see what happens with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
ryeblossom
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009 08:08:47 PM »

Try different types of mushrooms. I don't like the white ones.
Fry some mushrooms with diced spanish onion on low-medium heat, in a little bit of oil, until nicely caramelized. Put in the blender with a hard boiled egg, some salt and pepper, and maybe garlic. It makes for a nice spread.
(I'm sorry, I don't have an exact recipe.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009 07:44:02 AM »

I love mushrooms. I use them in salads a lot. Just slice them (raw) and put them in a salad with cherry tomatoes and some spinach. Use whatever dressing you prefer. I like a balsamic vinagrette.
Maybe try them on pizza? I like mine with olives too.
I go to a sandwich place that makes an awesome veggie wrap. They slice them up and saute them with some green bell pepper and then put it in a warm wrap.(Like a falafel or gyro wrap) Top with lettuce and tomatoes and it is soooo yummy.
Maybe a mushroom stroganoff? Experimentation is key.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009 04:40:28 PM »

I recently tried brown oyster mushrooms sauteed in olive oil.  I cooked them with garlic, salt, pepper and thyme.  They were soooo good.  Brown oysters are a lot different than your standard white button mushrooms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009 11:18:55 PM »

My most frequent mushroom concoction is sliced baby bellas (small portobellos) sauteed in oil with paprika, thyme, and rosemary. I'll put that on pasta with some cheese or just on toast, if I don't eat it all before I get the chance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
CameraPhobic

WOAH, dream big.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009 02:46:30 PM »

Mushrooms are the best sauteed! You could saute them in a pan with an onion and/or a green bell pepper, then serve that over pasta (with or without tomato sauce). So good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Arianna Huffington: Running for Governor
Arianna Huffington: 37 Rejections
Arianna Huffington: President & Editor-In-Chief, The Huffington Post
Homemade All-Natural Heating Pad
DIY Playdough with DIY Expert Tanya Memme
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...